Author Topic: Getting My Feels Out Here: 'Literates'  (Read 4944 times)

ZombieKitteh

Re: Getting My Feels Out Here: 'Literates'
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 11:23:48 am »
It's was edited, at least I think so anyways? I'm not saying there isn't a problem on the game dealing with this. Because there is and people in general can be rude. I don't like using the term illiterate and I'll admit I have used it before, more so when I first started actually getting into roleplay. You have to understand though both the terms 'literate' and 'illiterate' are used on other games and roleplay communities, not just FH. It'll be a hard habit to change and break for a lot of people. Personally I prefer calling people beginner roleplayers and use terms such as 'paragraph roleplay' and such. Though when advertising I do use the term literate simply for the fact it's easier to get the point across (in such a short character limit of movies).

Though the term 'illiterate' is rude in some cases it's not exactly wrong? When you're getting people roleplaying like this, I don't entirely see how it'd be a wrong term to use:

"*creys* y did mi pack leave me im so lone"

Now it's still not right to bash or be rude to anyone, even if they do roleplay like that. There's no excuse to be mean to someone. Still just stating using the term 'illiterate' in such cases isn't entirely too far fetched.

I do agree the game and roleplaying is about having fun. I love to see people come together for nice roleplays and chatter. I've even tried to help a few beginner roleplayers learn, which I feel more people should do. However fun you want people to have however, there's always those situations that are not fun.

How fun is it when out of nowhere you're character gets randomly attacked, killed or mauled in roleplay while you and some people are having a nice roleplay? "Oh but maybe it's fun for the other person.." Maybe they like to roleplay their characters being bad anuses that kill everything in sight, are the core of pure evil Mary Sue and amazing warriors. But how fun is it for the people that don't like that..? That were forced into a roleplay they don't want to be a part of or have their character forcibly killed or maimed? Sure they can go ahead and ignore it or be 'reborn' and pretend nothing happened. And sure sometimes that is pretty fun when it's done tastefully and you're talked to/asked OOC first. But sometimes it's not and people need to understand that.

Or how fun is it when the person you're trying to roleplay with has something bad happen to them dramatically every other post. They fall and break a leg, they almost drown in a lake. Oh no now they're being mauled by a zebra!

I'm with the whole everyone should come together to have fun and such. But there also has to be some sort of understanding that sometimes separating roleplay styles and types is a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:26:15 am by ZombieKitteh »

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 11:54:22 am »
I still think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to state here, unless I've missed something I typed out and probably should've edited alongside what I've said here exactly. But where did I say roleplaying with these people are supposed to happen?

Or the terms are bad to use exactly? I mainly said that it's incorrect; Yes, I know it's all over the internet, and no, I'm not trying to change anything as again, this is how I feel about things that 'illiterates' are being slightly too outcasted sometimes, if that's a word.

Sure, I'm saying it in a way that may sound like I'm spitting it out like it's wrong here even, but I never said people should stop it either unless they're going to say "Ew, it's an illiterate" or some sort. If I did, then... Well okay. ouo' Now you understand I'm lazy, haha.

I could've misread your post slightly too, Zombie...

And yes, I did in fact edit the post a bit. I did find some rageful stuff to edit, and even tried to clear some stuff up as you can see...

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 12:58:41 pm »
I don't think Zombie directed their entire comment just towards you Huggy but rather it's a general comment to several of the other points made here by us. Going on though to what you said here Zombie:

How fun is it when out of nowhere you're character gets randomly attacked, killed or mauled in roleplay while you and some people are having a nice roleplay? "Oh but maybe it's fun for the other person.." Maybe they like to roleplay their characters being bad anuses that kill everything in sight, are the core of pure evil Mary Sue and amazing warriors. But how fun is it for the people that don't like that..? That were forced into a roleplay they don't want to be a part of or have their character forcibly killed or maimed? Sure they can go ahead and ignore it or be 'reborn' and pretend nothing happened. And sure sometimes that is pretty fun when it's done tastefully and you're talked to/asked OOC first. But sometimes it's not and people need to understand that.

Or how fun is it when the person you're trying to roleplay with has something bad happen to them dramatically every other post. They fall and break a leg, they almost drown in a lake. Oh no now they're being mauled by a zebra!

I'm with the whole everyone should come together to have fun and such. But there also has to be some sort of understanding that sometimes separating roleplay styles and types is a good thing.

Yes I agree that it can be quite distracting when you're rping with your particular group and someone comes and starts the random killing of your character etc. I have encountered those types of people before but usually depending our rp theme I either ask if they want to join our rp, ignore them, or just block them temporarily for the time while we rp if their just to rude etc. These people however are power playing. I don't see why everyone seems to think that everyone who is a so called "illiterate" is a power player etc because that's not always the case. Same as the drama type characters who like to get attacked or end up in danger in every other rp line of theirs. I've seen plenty of the "literate" types do this as well. It's hard to really get people who will just totally follow the rp theme regardless if you're trying to limit the choices down by picking out "literates" from so called "illiterates". The point is though that we don't always have to rp with every user if we don't like their style but it's better to be honest and say I'm not into that rp style rather than calling people out as illiterate etc. People can say they like long style rping or short style rping. You can say you prefer realistic instead of fantasy or comic rp. Or you like simple or advanced style rping. It's a way more polite way of addressing things than plain out saying "literate" and making it seem like anything below your style is "illiterate" etc.

Yes some other communities use the term "illiterate" and "literate" sadly but it's not hard at all to shake the habit. Our community is not as large as some others. Trends catch on fast around here if enough people start to practice new techniques. Example the Mate Center & Adoption Centers. Those have become a trend that people follow and mostly keep in Bonfire. Same can go for ending the use of these terms "literate" and "illiterate". While not everyone will stop using it we can at least get the majority to stop and pick better wording. It all comes down to trying something new and caring. As a community we can come up with new less offense words to describe our rp styles. It's not hard or impossible to do at all. If even one group starts using new less offensive terms that's a lot more progress than now.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:02:47 pm by LordSuragaha »

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »
I feel like you put your feelings out there nicely Hugrf. ;)
pm for free art i need practice

Offline gIittergore

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 12:07:06 am »
I totally agree with you on this, but one or two simple things.
Like you've said, some people don't put any effort at all into their roleplays. I do try and accept roleplaying with beginners, but I tend to try and avoid them because the majority of them are powerplayers. Yes, I understand they're new and don't understand there are some rules they need to follow in order to be accepted. Another thing associated with that is some people don't like people because of their characters since they come off to be illiterates. I understand if one person makes a neon character and it's from a fandom or something, but your regular sparkledog isn't popularly accepted since they usually have bad grammar, and like I've said, they powerplay.

Offline Roniver

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 02:55:47 am »
Sorry, Exclone! I just have a bad personality for that stuff.. Was Dark getting depressed..?

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 03:43:46 pm »
Sorry, Exclone! I just have a bad personality for that stuff.. Was Dark getting depressed..?

Other people have pretty much been bullying him in and out of reality, so he was always getting depressed about that stuff, I guess. It's not fully your fault, though, and completely understandable; At least you weren't yelling at him to leave the roleplay.

I forgive ya, but again, I'm probably not the one you should be apologizing to. ^^' Anyway... coughpetseveryoneinappreciationoftheiropinionscough

Offline Dirrane

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 07:13:52 pm »
Ah, lads, she wasn't bashing them too bad, just stating her opinion like you are stating yours. And what do I exactly think of this? I don't have much to add, but might as well. Well, when you create a roleplay and label it a little 'literate' or realistic, I usually get a tiny bit ticked off when a nyan cat wanders up and sais omg can i join liek pls. I probably would ask them for a roleplay sample, not even for huge paragraphs or anything, but just nice, clear grammar and punctuation. I mean, it's not exactly very funny when you see someone trying to tidy up their posts a wee bit and then see someone else ramble on and on with no full stops or anything. It's a bit like, ''hey, are you breathing?'' Although, you shouldn't judge anyone or call someone out for a little mistake, so as to hurt their feelings. Just like Hugrf said, they are real, living, breathing humans too. If ye' have something against them, don't yell or gossip, just kindly keep it to yourself. I actively roleplay with people some call 'illiterate,' although it can be a little hard to get them at first. I would like to see people putting some effort in though. All it takes is a little punctuation, not an English dictionary. It even makes the post look better. It does get a little hard when they don't exactly get what you're saying, or the opposite way around. I mean, when they say, ''hello how are you said the wolf follow me'' it gets a bit.. I don't know. All it takes is a little bit, aha. I might pop in the difference between punctuational posts and the opposite. Actually, I'm rambling on, aren't I? Can't stop typing..

''hello how are u said the wolf follow me''
''Hello, how are you?'' the wolf said calmly. ''Follow me.''

The wolf ran on and on through the trees jumping over the rocks and stones panting heavily and listening to everything
The frightened wolf dashed on and on through the forest, leaping over rocks and stones while panting heavily. Although tired, it was alert and listened to all surrounding noises.

''run said the wolf'' its not safe he growled and bared teeth as the lion came closer
''Run!'' yelled the wolf. ''It's not safe,'' he growled and bared his teeth as the feline neared.

I don't think anything in my comment is bashing or anything. If you're offended, then sorry, but I definitely wrote this on a happy note. cx
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:52:44 pm by Dirrane »