Author Topic: So You Wanna Make Video Games?  (Read 2193 times)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
So You Wanna Make Video Games?
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:46:41 pm »
Hello, you all, welcome to the thread. I noticed that there have been many people wanting to create their own games with fun ideas and premises. However, usually those same ideas and ambitions get deferred and are left to the side to rot. So, what's the subject?

Basically, there's nothing I love more than watching these same people succeed in their goals and give a community something great. Thus, I decided to create a thread that would possibly help people who are aiming to create video games (namely personal computers (PC) since that's our main focus.) If there is anything you all would like to add to the thread, please! Feel free to post what you think would be helpful for others. Or if there's something missed or presented incorrectly, please, feel free to also correct me! Thank you. Let's get started!

Game Engines
Of course, the first thing for any game, what-so-ever, is the game engine. The game engine is everything. Think of how a pieces of paper is to an artist. Same principle with game engines. So, here are a few current game engines that are out there.

Unity FREE / 30 day trail with Unity Pro) : Unity is a game engine provided by Unity Technologies that is amazingly powerful. It provides a multiplatform feature, which means a game published can be played on the listed platforms it can support, including Mac, Windows, BlackBerry 10, Linux, ect.

For the Unity Pro, there is a 30 day trail offered. It provides far more features that that of the free version of Unity. Also, if whenever you feel like it, you can simply use the Unity Pro while paying $75 dollars a month.

Video Demo of Unity

----------------------------

Unreal Engine (FREE!) : Unreal Engine is the most popular game engine there is, if not the top leading engine of the generation. It is a cross-platform engine that provides professional features and high quality. Games created by this engine include, Daylight, Fable Legends, City of Titans, and several games unannounced by Bluehole Studios (popular for TERA).

As of March 2015, the engine is now free to use! Be aware, though, for really good stuff or things you probably can't or do not want to make yourself, you'll have to buy a few assets in their store. Other than that, Epic Games wants everyone to know how awesome they are. :)

Video Demo of Unreal Engine

3D Model Software
Alright, so next on the list is the 3D art stuff! These are the ones I know of and researched. If there are some I may have missed is either because they are relatively high in price for most people or because I simply don't know of them.

Blender (FREE!) : Blender is one of the more popular 3D modeling software that people are familiar with. It's interface takes a good while to get the hang of and has a number of good tutorials in how to use it. It's additional features include animation, sculpting, and rigging.

Video Demo of Blender

----------------------------

Sculptris (FREE!) : Sculptris is a free-to-use 3D modelling software that serves as a sister program to ZBrush. It's very good for beginners and a simple interface to follow. Just jump in and sculpt whatever. Sculptris is also good to work with Blender! For example, you may sculpt something in Sculptris and place it in Blender to manipulate.

Video Demo of Sculptris

Right now, this is all I will provide, mostly if it peaks interest with the community, then I'll continue. Remember, most things we enjoy, either for daily living or just for our recreation. They are all made by people like yourself. So, if you have that unfinished project, maybe people with your ambitions can help you share your vision. Until then, happy playing!  
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:11:09 pm by FoxPhilosopher »
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: So You Wanna Make Video Games?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 03:54:48 pm »
That's something sad, I see many people with great ideas for video games around the forum, they have a forum and ideas and everything, but have no idea how to actually make a video game or how to code. I'm sure this will help many people who want to make a game c:

I'm not sure if any of the coding would help in the making of video games, but here is a website I have used a few times that may help some floofs: http://www.codecademy.com/

It's free and it explains pretty clearly. c:

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 09:29:03 pm »
Glad to see a thread like this up here-- there's so many folk that dive into it without taking the time to research!

Most people seem to underestimate the sheer amount of work a game takes! It's a pretty extensive and ambitious process that often requires a dedicated team of people. While recruiting forum goers sometimes works, keep in mind that they're under no obligation to work all day, every day, on your game without a reasonable amount of pay. Of course, there's always charitable individuals out there who aren't as financially pressured as graduates!

There's many things you need to know, including:
Creating, animating/rigging/mapping/texturing etc. a model.
Concept artwork.
Environment and level design.
UI
Compose music.
Web design.
Of course, coding.

There's many more, but these are some of the basics. Generally, different people work on different aspects of the game to speed up the process. While it's possible to single-handedly make a game, it does take a lot of knowledge and time (often years) to complete one! I work freelance and I'm often employed to work on small bits and bobs of various games-- primarily artwork/texture/modelling. Even then, it's relatively easy to temporarily employ a professional to work on something you can't do-- or, if it's a simple project, asking for help!

Helpful links:
  • Although you can purchase models for the unity engine, there's a plethora of  3D modelling applications online (some are free!). I personally use 3ds Max, AutoCAD and Sculpturis extensively, but each seems to have their pros and cons.
  • A good paint program's often required too. Adobe Photoshop CS2's currently 'free' to download (takes a bit of digging around on adobe's site after making an account), but the new version's definitely worth it if you can afford a subscription.
  • Although I can compose my own songs, I'm not entirely versed on music software; I've always used a program that came bundled with my keyboard. I'd imagine good ol' wikipedia provides some handy starting points. There's tutorials online and on youtube that offer good guides for songwriting, though this does admittedly require a fair amount of musical knowledge and ability.
  • While I've never used the unreal engine, Unity seems to be rather user-friendly. I know so little about coding and managed to travel vaguely in the right direction! As always, there's many guides on youtube.

I admittedly don't know the ins and outs (I rarely contribute more than artwork or a model!) and it's likely more complicated than this by far! Even so, it's a great thread-- had to pop in with some wee odds and ends. ;u;
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:31:17 pm by Nemena »

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:10:17 pm »
I have made some vital updates to the thread and shall continue on the community's interest. :)

I've added an important update about Unreal Engine being now FREE for everyone to use! I have also added a section for 3D modelling software that I know of or have used myself.

This thread is all about contribution, so if you have any pointers you want address and bring to everyone's attention, go for it! Once again, if I have searched something incorrectly or misinterpreted some vital information, let me know!
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Whisperingwaves

• #2FAB4U
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 135
  • #SlainyTheBattleTurkey
    • Whisperingwaves
    • @slainytbm
    • View Profile
    • Kiros
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 03:43:18 am »
Maya is also an awsome 3D modeling program(gotta pay tho)

Microsoft Visual Studio C++ free trial, need an activation code to keep it tho.

These are just two things i've used before for SL and different side projects. If y'all want some experience making a game, test your skills with an IT server. Existing code just for practice. Once you learn a bit try to make simple applications and stuff. Practice makes perfect c:

Avatar by Chezdip on Lioden || Signature by Jackdaw ♥
In-Game As Whisperingwaves

Offline FizzyPaws

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • I'm too obsessed with Telephone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:36:00 am »
Just a little tidbit of info about scupltris. It makes very, VERY high poly models. I would't recommend it for videogame making. I was making a model of a Dragon head, and the poly count got over one million. So yeah... It's better for creative sculpting and 3d printing

EDIT: I should also mention that it crashed 5 times while making it. It's good that it's got Crash Recovery on it, but still.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 08:38:00 am by ThatFizzedUpHusky »