Author Topic: Help me convince my parents to get me a Tumblr!  (Read 7459 times)

Offline TheChillFangirl

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • It's been a while!
    • bandmomfriend
    • View Profile
Help me convince my parents to get me a Tumblr!
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:10:21 pm »
Hey guys!

So, I've been asking for a Tumblr account (yes.  I don't have a Tumblr.), and I'm asking for one for Christmas.  But my parents want to know, Why would you ever need a Tumblr??? What will you do with it???  Is it safe??? and so on.  I am terrible with coming up with reasons, and I really want a Tumblr, so could you guys help?

Thanks!

Also.  It seems kinda weird, because my brother has one, and he has an Instagram and a Snapchat too, and all I have is this and QuizUp (and these don't really count in my opinion because they're technically not social media platforms).  I dunno.  Parents are weird.  And protective.  And that's fantabulous.

TheChillFangirl

I'm fubbernucked.

Preach

Re: Help me convince my parents to get me a Tumblr!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 11:23:09 pm »
I'm not good at convincing my myself, only begging is my natural thing. XD However, if you have a good purpose, as to why you want it, then it would probably give you a chance for your parents. Then again, what do you plan on using it? Is it for school or only for FeralHeart? If you want to convince your parents, you need to tell what you're going to do with it.

And tumblr should be safe - that's if you use it correctly and maturely.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 04:22:46 am »
Even though I have a tumblr myself, seeing as I am old and can decide for myself. I wouldn't always recommend getting one. Despite all the good parts of it, there's a lot of bad as well. Yet I'm sure that happens everywhere.
RETIRED.

Offline TheChillFangirl

• It's been a while!
    • bandmomfriend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 04:03:01 pm »
Okay, so what I'm getting is that there's a lot of bad and a lot of good, and I need to state why I want it and what I'm going to do with it.

Soooo.....

I want it because it seems like a fantastic site.  There are loads of great people on there who will become my friends and such.  I will mostly just write headcanons and stories, and fangirl about this and that *looks to Dan and Phil, Sherlock, and Marvel*.  I know when enough is enough in terms of hey now ;).  Like if I see nsfw stuff I will stay the heck away from it.

Do you think that's good, or is there more I can add/take away?

I really wish to have an account, as you can see.  :D

TheChillFangirl

I'm fubbernucked.

Offline TullileIsHere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • plonke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »
If I were you, I wouldn't mention the nsfw content to your parents because that could make them a little more suspicious of the site (though there is a safe-search button you can turn on when you're looking through the tags). I would start by telling them that there aren't any viruses on it (but if you get fan-mails of people asking you to go to their blog and click on a link on it, don't), there's a lot of good content on it, and that it's overall a good website.
Honestly, the only "bad stuff" I've seen on it is the occasional nsfw (like I said before, you can turn on the safe-search filter).

Offline Hotdogsrule

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • i eat cereal at 6 pm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:26:52 pm »
If your parents are concerned about sexual content, I believe there's a setting somewhere where you can disable you seeing nsfw. Every once in a while, it might slip, but it's not like you can't just ignore it and maybe unfollow. I'd also reccomend xkit, because there you can block posts including certain words/tags, block a specific post all together, and all sorts of other helpful stuff.
As for why you should have it, not only is it a source of humor but it's also a great creative outlet, and a place for you to make friends, share your drawings, and such. There's content about literally anything you can think of, so no matter what you like, you'll find others with common interests.
I guess I'm supposed to be helping, so I won't list all the bad, but I won't promise you won't get a little attached to it, among other things like gore and the aforementioned sexual content, but, like i said, there can be precautions put to prevent all that. Like Preach said, tumblr is very safe as long as you're mature with it.

Hope this helps! :)

bork
(i don't even like hotdogs)

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 04:46:59 pm »
don't get tumblr

honestly it's not worth it

the site staff suck and the community is garbage

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline TheChillFangirl

• It's been a while!
    • bandmomfriend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 06:30:04 pm »
Tullile-  There is that option?  I didn't know that.  And that may be a good idea  as for not telling my parents about the nsfw stuff. :)

Juno-  Yeah, I getcha.  And those are some very good points! Thank you!

WarKat-  Really?  What makes you say that?

I'm fubbernucked.

Offline longjump

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
    • FhNature
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 03:59:32 pm »
I would suggest avoiding tumblr, IMO the community can be extremely toxic. NOT to everyone, of course, there are some awesome and chill peeps there, but if you're going to write stories odds are some person out there is going to find some reason to try to point out every single flaw. In my own experience it's full of people who fear monger and even the fandom parts can be really obscene so if you're young it might be best to wait until you're older to get one. Personally if I were a parent my kid wouldn't be allowed to have one, unless I could monitor what blogs they follow and use a blocking function, because even browsing tags can open up doors to drama.

IMHO deviant art is a way better place for that, but maybe I've just been lucky/unlucky.

'Glory drakes are radiant, friendly creatures, that sparkle in the sunlight'

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:48:24 pm »
WarKat-  Really?  What makes you say that?

That community is incredibly toxic, and will silence you the second you go against what they say.
They all have the spines of a slug, and will never let you rest until you submit and apologize to them for obscenely stupid reasons.

I suggest waiting a long time, either until these people grow up, become responsible, and shut the hell up, or, until you think(and your parents), you can discern and take the storm of disgusting that will come your way when you join.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972