Author Topic: This texture looks totally wack, can someone help me fix it?  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Aquillaflyer

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Struck by falling tree, initial encounter.
    • Aquillaflyer
    • View Profile
    • Breaking Day
I was attempting to retexture some meshes I downloaded off the internet. The texture was also from the internet, and rather detailed. However, this mesh displays a flat gray surface. And I have no idea what I'm supposed to do to fix it. Note, the white parts around the eyes/nose is me replacing that texture with the basewhite until I can find a suitable one.

It looks like this.

https://sta.sh/0dt8q6w99el

I'd love it if you could help me out on this one.
I have no clue what I'm doing with my life.

Offline leda

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • leedle lee my dudes
    • https://rookfox.deviantart.com
    • View Profile
Re: This texture looks totally wack, can someone help me fix it?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 05:14:09 pm »
Materials in the object maker are Case Sensitive; a texture will not render if you write ThisTexture when it's actually called thistexture.

Or if you're trying to apply an image file to the material of a different size or set up... it's all very finnicky!

Lastly, it may not work if the texture image is now a .jpg when it was previously a .png, and vice versa. 

I had luck retexturing the bones by just copy the default rock texture material line of code, and pasting it into my personal massive .material file (LedaMaterials.material) as a bone texture instead, then entered that onto whatever I needed it to be on.  Just had to change the image file in the material code to the bone texture I wanted, with a new name.  This may not work for all objects and I'm happy to help you if it doesn't, but--

Here's an example of what I mean

Opened up Rock.material (I believe it's called) from the Rocks folder
Copied the first code starting from the opening and ending with the closing tag }

Next I grabbed a BoneTexture for example called BoneTexture.png and put it under My_objects.  You can see here I have my own material file also under the same my_objects folder, which I just copy and paste in needed materials into.  You can make your own by copying any ol' material file from the FH folder and renaming it! 

Finally I just opened LedasMaterials.material and used the rock texture from before to paste it at the tippy top (it never matters where the code is pasted as long as it's not inside any other material lines or before another material files closing tag of } !)

And now I have a bone texture to render onto any ol thang.

If you've already tried that, still have issues, or are trying to work with a different material code, then just paste it below or PM me it and I'm happy to work and look at that one too, the above is more or less just a general fix!
find me in game as user leda, or see my feral heart dA, rookfox.deviantart.com !

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
Re: This texture looks totally wack, can someone help me fix it?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:00:51 pm »
That looks like a mesh I made long ago but the materials have been reversed?

The grey should be on the inside, white outside.
I don't know what happened there, I don't even have the files anymore.  I've seen that skull textured as metal, glowing eyes, all sorts.

If you wanted to texture it I don't think you can use an image, there was no UV wrap for it, so basically if you want to colour it yourself you have to use some code like

technique
{
pass
{
            ambient 1.0 0.886274516582489 0.7215686440467834 1.0
            diffuse 0.800000011920929 0.7090196238312068 0.5772549238391953 1.0
            specular 0.5 0.4215686321258545 0.4490196108818054 1.0 12.5
            emissive 0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0
}
}

And that's how it's coloured. I think.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"