Author Topic: Controls Don't Register?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline kittykat2000

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Controls Don't Register?
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:15 am »
   Forgive me if there's already a post similar to this. I looked at 9 other posts when I typed in the word "Controls" in the Feral Heart Game Help section in the search bar. I found nothing similar to my problem. I mostly found "You need to press right ctrl".

I actually have quite a few strange things going on with my keyboard controls on Feral Heart. First, since the Mac keyboard is a little different from other laptops, I changed the controls a little bit: I set my "Head Track" to "Left Windows" and my "Cam Faster" to "Prev Track". ( I'm not sure what "Prev Track" is, but that's just what shows up on my controls when I change it to the key that has the equal sign and plus sign on it.)
   When I press "Left Windows" to lock my head in place, most of the time it doesn't work or it simply doesn't register. I have to press it about 4-5 times for it to take affect. This is annoying, because I don't really have the time to press "Left Windows" repeatedly and move my camera each time just to make sure my head doesn't move, and at the same time, I don't want to press it and just hope I don't look stupid in front of my friends when I switch tabs or what not. But also, when I change the controls, the next time I log on, the controls are automatically set at default. Do I need to save my controls after changing them? Is there even a mechanism for that? The only buttons I see are "Default" and "Change".

Another problem I have is the "~" or "`" symbols don't show up in the chat box. Or any box in Feral Heart. It shows up as a blank space. This is actually quite annoying, because sometimes I use it when casually role playing. The "~" symbol is also in a lot of player's usernames as well as in a lot of group titles, so I wont be able to search them up properly when I want to view that group's info.
   Also, when I press the key with the "{" and "[" on it, a blank space also shows up, but when I press the key with the "}" and "]" on it, on Feral Heart, it shows up as "{" and "[", which is the complete opposite of what is supposed to be entered into the chat box.
EDIT: The key that has the "|" and "\" symbols on it appear as "}" and "]" in game. It appears that Feral Heart thinks my keys are one off. Would this lead to a solution?
   My left control key is also a little wonky. When I press it and hold it, I don't crouch. When I press it, hold it, and then move my character around, THEN I crouch. When I'm running in a straight line and want to crouch, I can't. It wont let me crouch until I change direction. The shift key to walk is a little similar. When I'm running, I simply can't change to a walk in mid run until I change direction. This is annoying for me because if I want to approach someone, I might run half the way, then walk or crawl as I approach them, but I simply can't do this unless I decide to change direction, AWAY from the person I was trying to approach. I need this feature for role play sake.

I believe these are all of the problems I am currently experiencing at the moment. I do not know if there are any other problems I simply just haven't found out about yet, but any help would surely be appreciated. I am running Windows 10 on a Mac laptop. I don't know if that will be any sort of help. If you need screenshots of anything, just ask and I'm sure I might be able to provide, as long as I can figure out how to attach them to a post. Haha.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:15:08 am by kittykat2000 »

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
Re: Controls Don't Register?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 01:35:28 am »
Make sure your keyboard is set to English. Most of the time it won't register if your keyboard is set to another language. You can configure this through your computer settings.
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Offline kittykat2000

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:41:20 am »
I just checked my Language preference in my Control Panel and it says it is set to English (United States).

EDIT:
Make sure your keyboard is set to English. Most of the time it won't register if your keyboard is set to another language. You can configure this through your computer settings.

I've also checked on my Mac's settings and my Window's settings and they both say the keyboard language is English (Unites States). I even reviewed the input for each key, and they are as they are supposed to be.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:59:42 am by kittykat2000 »

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:23 am »
You could try changing the control settings by going to options, then controls. You would need to click change first and then type the button you want in. If that doesn't work then try changing your rendering system.

Offline kittykat2000

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:37:17 pm »
You could try changing the control settings by going to options, then controls. You would need to click change first and then type the button you want in. If that doesn't work then try changing your rendering system.

I do not have the option to change the controls I would need to in game. I also tried looking in the Feral Heart file keyboard.cfg and couldn't find anything either. Also, if you missed it, I wrote that when I change the controls, the next time I log in, the controls are changed back to default. I also wrote that when I change the controls, some of them are not effective (Head Track).

Offline kittykat2000

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »
So, it's been quite a few days. Is there simply no way to solve this?

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 07:46:33 pm »
i am not sure about the key selection but does the crouch work if you press N or actions and select the box for crouch?
And i'm not sure that ~ shows up for anyone.  i see it as an unreadable symbol.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 10:28:35 pm »
How old is your keyboard? Perhaps an older/damaged one could be the cause of your issues

And try going into your FH folder and opening a file called "keyboard.cfg", and changing your controls there. It may be confusing but it might be worth it in the long run (be sure to save then restart afterwards!!)
Farewell everyone<3

Offline Shazadah

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • Call me NaruWolf
    • http://shay-wolf.deviantart.com
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/Mid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 01:09:38 am »
It may very well be that you're running Windows on a Mac. The typical PC and Apple keyboards may look the same but have different functions, and this in turn could be throwing off your game when it comes to the controls. Windows may be easier to use than a Mac's standard platform, but it might be best to get Windows off of your Mac, or maybe find a Windows Keyboard system file to install so that your PC reads it as a Windows keyboard and not an Apple keyboard.

Some links you can look at that talk about the differences between the two keyboards and their functions:

This is about the best I can do, I'm not familiar at all with Macs, in fact I dislike them, so I can't offer much help.

Offline kittykat2000

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 07:23:15 pm »
How old is your keyboard? Perhaps an older/damaged one could be the cause of your issues

And try going into your FH folder and opening a file called "keyboard.cfg", and changing your controls there. It may be confusing but it might be worth it in the long run (be sure to save then restart afterwards!!)

I bought this laptop not even a year ago. I highly doubt the keyboard is outdated.

I do not have the option to change the controls I would need to in game. I also tried looking in the Feral Heart file keyboard.cfg and couldn't find anything either.