Author Topic: Biting- The Bad Karma  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Biting- The Bad Karma
« on: May 15, 2016, 09:27:50 pm »
So me and a few of my mutuals were jokin' in a play-fight on Skype, and we were jokin'ly threatenin' to "bite" eachother's karma, and it reminded me of the old "bite" karma action. For those who don't know or remember, Biting was a negative karma action, opposite to Nuzzling. Similar to the upvotin or downvotin features on other games or forums. It was removed a long time ago, and I nearly forgot it myself, had my friends not reminded me.
I personally thought it was a bit of a mean feature to have. Of course, if a mostly glorified user broke a rule, or started becomin' rude to others, it might have been just to lower their karma, but it could also have been used as a weapon to bully others. So I'm mostly glad it's gone.

So, does anyone else remember this? How did you feel about it's removal?

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: Biting- The Bad Karma
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »
I actually remember this , despite not being an active member on the forums.
Personally I thought it was kind of odd that this feature was even including, unless the creator , staff didn't mean for it to be 'harmful' in some way. But kind of glad that it's removed since this place is mostly positive than negative and they want the community to feel 'safe' not 'threatened' because of some 'biting.' Just my opinion of course.

Nice Topic ~

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »
MATE I'M BITING ALL YOUR KARMA

I don't remember when Biting was an option, tbh, but I think it was a good idea to remove it. I believe it had been abused a lot, and I know a few new members got negative karma just because they were new and didn't know some things about the game and got upset/overly nervous, which I think is unfair.

However, I do think a Bite option could be good.. in limitation. It wouldn't be fair to be bombarded with bites, and I know there would definitely be a few members who would Bite everyone just for fun. But as you said, if a certain member became very hostile and broke rules, fully knowing they were doing so, I think a few 'bites' would be deserved.

I don't know, I think just having the Nuzzle option right now is good the way it is. It is pretty entertaining to see members who purposely asked for negative karma and still have like -15 karma or whatever, lol.

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 09:39:47 pm »
Yeah, I agree. I think it was good in moderation, and the negative karma was cool in an ironic way, but I really don't feel it fit either. As Hakumi stated, it created a sense of fear for users to reserve from posting controversy or opinions with fear of being harmed.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 11:18:04 pm »
I myself do not remember the biting option. Never would have though it would have existed. While I know it was probably put there just for fun and games, I bet some people would have abused it somehow. And it does kinda seem like a rather harsh thing to do. I would feel bad if I came on one day and my karma had randomly dropped. Especially if I didn't do anything. So yes, I am rather happy this feature is no longer available.

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 12:07:53 am »
I've never seen that option, despite having been around for a while. (Although, not on the forums, which might be why.) I've seen it has happened to other members, though, way back in the past. Even some whom might've not deserved it. They could've back then, though. Not sure.

I'm glad it was removed, honestly. I don't think I have to explain much of why, either, since people have already said it for me. It's gone, and I kind of prefer that.

Maybe it could be good, in some circumstances, but still. Sometimes a scolding or suspension (For rule breaking) could be enough, you know?

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:19 am »
Haha, oh I've never experienced this feature on the forum before :P Sadly lol, it must've been hilarious sometimes. I caught a post of a floof with her/his Floof-O-Met approximately -4, and a staff member (I don't even remember who, but) told me that one of the other staff members and that floofs were just havung fun so the staff member bited that floof for fun. :P They probably had a big friendship between eachother ;P

But yeah the first time I encountered a floof that was bited before, I just had the silly thought of that they were very naughty babies. Lmao xD
doing what i feel like

Offline Jango_Fett

• Solid Snake
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 134
  • rotten kind of cute
    • euralore
    • EmpressWolf
    • littlemisscancer
    • parahyena
    • LM_Cancer
    • View Profile
    • Picarto.tv
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 02:09:54 am »
i don't think i was here when biting was a thing, but boy oh boy am i glad i wasn't active on the forums then.

i would have been bitten till i looked like jerky i promise ya'.
although nuzzling does seem a bit incomplete without it, i think it's best that it's gone.
it didn't really..... from what i could see, encourage people at all.
although it would be fun to bite a friend, i wouldn't want myself to be bitten, but whatever it's gone now and will probably never come back.

i don't know nothing about mopeds
feral_cast.fhm
have a question? just ask - Rubricae#6972

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 03:03:10 am »
I'm pretty happy that that feature was removed. I recall when it was still around and there were a few instances where I saw it being abused. Some jealous folks took it upon themselves to bite others on other accounts to quickly reduce their karma to negative numbers. There really was never a place for such a negative feature in this community. I like the idea of the more neutral Floof o meter as suppose to just nuzzling and biting people.

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 10:03:18 am »
I've seen that feature before, but never used it. I thought that feature was bad because people could bite you for no reason or it could be that person would get mad at you then it could make you get bad reputation. But I am glad it was removed.