Author Topic: Why do people dislike Sparkledogs and Glittercats purely because of looks?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Tension

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • \ m /
    • View Profile
    • ART
i dislike them because honestly, they're kind of dumb and ridiculous. most sparkle-creatures have uncoordinated colors, or are simply too overloaded with colors. i don't like entirely black characters, either, i.e. #000000 black.

if you're going to have a neon character, be low key (and coordinated) about it. i have sparkle-creatures, myself, however they're not magenta with cyan stripes & yellow spots. the worst i have is a charcoal cat with chartreuse eyes, pawpads, eyebrows, and tongue.

however, this is just how i feel about it. some people don't like cherry lollipops, while others do. it's just not my thing, and it's certainly not because i don't like those who are 'different' - that's totally absurd.

edit removed the bit regarding neon colors hurting eyes - forgot about those who wear prescription lenses/those who have vision issues, my bad!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:54:47 am by TENSION »

? UN: TENSION ?

Offline YouheiSunohara24

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Don't touch my chocolate, or you DIE.
    • View Profile
Derp... I kinda agree with most peeps here. Neon hurts meh eyes bro.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:55:50 am by iMello »
For me, crazy is a loose term. Crazy is when you drive by in a car with a shotgun shooting a cops. Cuz... then you're gonna get in big trouble. Crazy is when you start screaming at the word "Shinigami". Crazy is when you support Kira. You're crazy if you touched my chocolate because that means you want to die. If you're crazy, put this in ur sig.XD

Offline TheFourLinks

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • We are the Links. That means we're awesome.
    • View Profile
I believe the reason some people claim that neon characters hurt their eyes is because the colors are so vivid, and just... do not mix well together. Such as, a very bright neon green wolf with neon purple spots, a neon pink or yellow underside, and purple over and above eyes. Because of the vivid, vibrant colors all on the same character, it's kinda all over the place, making it tough on the eyes. So for some people, it really does hurt. ~Vio
I'm too awesome for these guys... -Blue Link
I like cookies :3 -Red Link
....I'm surrounded by idiots... -Vio
Fighting evil crap... gets boring. -Green Link

Offline Warrior4ever

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • Muffins. Oh yes... I went there.
    • View Profile
What do I think of neon characters? I think they show the creativity of our community, all the imaginative minds out there who simply like those brilliant hues. There is no law against neon characters, and why should there be? It is their choice to have such a striking color pattern, and if those colors weren't meant to be used then the color sliders would not contain the codes for such.
i dislike them because honestly, they're kind of dumb and ridiculous. most sparkle-creatures have uncoordinated colors, or are simply too overloaded with colors. i don't like entirely black characters, either, i.e. #000000 black.

if you're going to have a neon character, be low key (and coordinated) about it. i have sparkle-creatures, myself, however they're not magenta with cyan stripes & yellow spots. the worst i have is a charcoal cat with chartreuse eyes, pawpads, eyebrows, and tongue.

however, this is just how i feel about it. some people don't like cherry lollipops, while others do. it's just not my thing, and it's certainly not because i don't like those who are 'different' - that's totally absurd.

and to those saying it 'hurts their eyes' to look at neon colors, then you should indeed visit an optician. it may cause you to squint for your eyes to adjust (and even then, a small little neon character running about in-game shouldn't cause that - perhaps if you're staring at a wall painted with lime green), but it shouldn't hurt.

You shouldn't call another person's character dumb, by any means. How would you like it if people called yours hurtful and/or offensive names? We're all friends here, so hopefully this will not happen. However there is nothing wrong with being different, because technically, we're all different in our own ways. Just because there may be a neon character in a group of realistic wolves does not mean they're absurd.

I believe what people are referring to when it is said that neon colors 'hurt my eyes,' is that the colors are not as soft and blended together as much as a realistic character would be. I'm sure you've all seen a neon sign at least once, yes? They're that color to attract attention from people passing them. The same goes for neon characters, all they want is a little more attention, nothing more.

Offline Eviny

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
I think besides the truth that it easily hurts peoples' eyes it also might not be only because of the look.
  you see, as far as my own experience goes, most people who make these characters give their characters Mary Sue or Gary Stu features. The colors easily match up with their ''magic powers'' or other elements such as this. It can also be considered as cliche, and some people including myself do not like these features that much. Maybe it is just overused by now?
  On the other side, though, I don't see more reasons than the ones listed above for the hatred they get. I understand it is painful to look at especially if adjusting your screen's brightness doesn't help, but then there is of course the way to block them as well. Understanding it might not be the first option to come into mind if you want to roleplay with a person who has a neon character.
  Everyone has their opinions. Some like sparkledogs, others don't.

Offline meowool

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
I believe the reason some people claim that neon characters hurt their eyes is because the colors are so vivid, and just... do not mix well together.
No it's because they do physically hurt my eyes. I do wear glasses. (In truth they do hurt with them on so I probably need a stronger prescription but I have my 2-yearly appointment  that I get reminded on somewhen this summer. (Also I'm short sighted, so I don't need them for the computer.)

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
I do not mind the sparkledogs and glittercats mainly for what they look like, especially for the purpose of being unrealistic and what-not. If it wasn't for the colors themselves, I believe they wouldn't be a turned away. Of course as stated times before, it does do harm to other peoples's eyes and in rare cases, those kinda of mixture of colors, like all neon mixed at once could cause seizure-like vision. Almost as if you're seeing double of something else or having your vision temporarily blurred by the color you were looking at, only brighter.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Tension

• Curious Wanderer
  • \ m /
    • View Profile
    • ART
You shouldn't call another person's character dumb, by any means. How would you like it if people called yours hurtful and/or offensive names? We're all friends here, so hopefully this will not happen. However there is nothing wrong with being different, because technically, we're all different in our own ways. Just because there may be a neon character in a group of realistic wolves does not mean they're absurd.
i apologize for being harsh with my opinion, and honestly, if people referred to my characters hurtful or offensive terms, i would understand that some may just not like my taste and that's fine. i'm not trying to be snide here, because i know that others can be a bit rude with how they state their opinions, and that's just how people can be - me being one of them from time-to-time.

however, at no point did i say there was anything wrong with being "different", as i was saying that it's absurd to think the reason why people dislike sparkle-creatures is because they are "different". there is absolutely nothing wrong with being different. i am afraid you were misunderstood there.

however, on another note, i have nothing against sparkle-creatures, it's only that i simply do not prefer them.
not my cup of tea, as it was.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:53:07 am by TENSION »

? UN: TENSION ?

Offline TheFourLinks

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • We are the Links. That means we're awesome.
    • View Profile
I believe the reason some people claim that neon characters hurt their eyes is because the colors are so vivid, and just... do not mix well together.
No it's because they do physically hurt my eyes. I do wear glasses. (In truth they do hurt with them on so I probably need a stronger prescription but I have my 2-yearly appointment  that I get reminded on somewhen this summer. (Also I'm short sighted, so I don't need them for the computer.)
That's what I meant, the vivid colors and such causes strain on the eyes, making it painful.
I'm too awesome for these guys... -Blue Link
I like cookies :3 -Red Link
....I'm surrounded by idiots... -Vio
Fighting evil crap... gets boring. -Green Link

Offline peete

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Pineapples...
    • View Profile
I don't really care about sparkledogs/cat, but I think one reason people hate them is because its kind of different maybe? I mean what would be the first thing to pop into your head if you saw a group of neon pink midgets while you're recruiting at Stone Bridge? Maybe some people find them as a distraction, and the neon colors making them very noticeable.

Now, when I see sparkles in Mate Centers....

INACTIVE BECAUSE OF INTERNET ISSUES...