Author Topic: Your Favorite Animals!  (Read 5822 times)

Offline Abomine

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • I'm that weird chick who's obsessed with deer.
    • View Profile
Your Favorite Animals!
« on: May 04, 2013, 09:18:44 pm »
This is a thread for posting pictures, videos, etc. about your favorite animals. Bonus points if you can tell us why that animal (or animals, you can have more than one favorite animal) is your favorite.

I'll start us off with some of my favorites:

Deer in general, but especially mule deer and red deer (the animal in the picture). Deer, to me, represent everything that's powerful and beautiful about nature. For a lot of people, that's what wolves and lions represent, but for me, it's deer. Their branch-like antlers make them look like forest princes, and while deer may be pretty common animals (they've been very aptly described as 'rats with hooves' by people who live in deer country), they will still be one of my all-time favorite animals.

Bears, especially giant pandas and grizzly bears. The same words that I applied to deer apply to bears as well. The lion has often been labeled as 'the king of the beasts', but in my opinion, bears are much more majestic and 'kingly-looking' than lions. Doesn't this great beast look like a king? I think he does.

Octopi, expecially the Giant Pacific octopus. These intelligent, beautiful animals always inspire awe in me. They just look so otherworldly, like alien ballroom dancers in the way that they move. I saw one of these magnificent creatures at the Monterey Bay Aquarium once. It was so beautiful that I shed tears. No other animal before or since has been able to inspire such a level of emotion in me.

Vultures and condors, especially this California Condor. Vultures tend to get a bad rap because of their...unsavory eating habits and odd appearances. I personally have a deep respect for vultures, and their bald heads only make them all the more beautiful. They are incredibly majestic animals, and they serve a noble purpose in their local ecosystems. I consider myself very lucky to live in turkey vulture country, so I get to see these big beautiful guys soaring overhead on a regular basis.

Coyotes get a pretty bad rap too, often dismissed as vermin, or as the 'cowardly, wicked' cousins of wolves. I actually prefer coyotes over wolves because they're smarter and more resilient than wolves. For example, during the 1920s, gray wolves and coyotes were classified as 'vermin' in the US and were to be exterminated as such. Wolves and coyotes were shot on sight and scene. Gray wolves nearly went extinct, but coyote numbers continued to grow as if nothing was happening. The intelligence and perseverance of coyotes is legendary, rivaling even that of the beloved red fox. I live in coyote country, and it fills my heart with joy whenever I hear their raucous music in the night.

This is five-foot tall stork-vulture out of hell is a Marabou Stork. It eats frogs and small mammals, like other storks do, but it also eats carrion, hence the vulture-like bald head. A lot of people consider this bird to be monstrous and ugly, but I personally think they look rather endearing, cute even. A very different kind of cute.

So anyway, if you have a favorite animal, share the love of that favorite animal right here. I can't wait to see what kinds of interesting animals you guys have to show us! :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:24:32 pm by Abomine »

To Isengard! To Isengard!

My deviantART

BouncyLion101

Re: Your Favorite Animals! <3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 09:58:12 pm »

Cats are my favorite type of animal. Not just cats, just felines in general.
I like them because they seem very majestic and noble, even if some felines (Cats) can be not the most social or loving animal.
I feel like they're degraded way too often too. For example, cats are often thought of as fat and lazy.
It's true, a lot of cats are. But that's just because they live nice comfortable lives in houses, well most do.

Crows are another favorite animal of mine. c:
Their beautiful sleek feathers just leave me in awe. It's also kind of funny how people think crows are bad luck and are "evil".
When, in reality, they are just intelligent birds. They're even classified as one of the world's smartest animals.

So yeah, these are my two top favorite animals. o3o
And it was very interesting to read about your favorite animals, Abomine.~
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:00:17 pm by BouncyLion101 »

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Animals! <3
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:25:17 am »
^ I will always be a dog person, but I appreciate cats. I find them to be very charming and quirky animals. It's easy to see why they are the most popular critters on the internet. They can do the dumbest and/or oddest things, and still look graceful/cute while doing them. Once I get into the 'cute cat video' side of YouTube, it's pretty hard to get me back out.

I love crows for the same reason that I love coyotes. They are intelligent and resilient and will probably survive the apocalypse. I admire that sort of tenacity in an animal.

And thank you. I enjoyed reading about your favorite animals, too. ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:27:21 am by Abomine »

My deviantART

Wynterr X

Re: Your Favorite Animals!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:35:27 pm »
-looks on the internet for surm pictures- Bonus, you get animated gif pictures >:3

o_o I've never posted a picture on FH before, so tell me if the pics don't work.
1: Well, my number one favorite animal forever, wolves!

Mainly because they are really amazing and misunderstood creatures. Wolves are powerful, family-oriented, and they help each other out. They're a good example of what I wish people could be like. <3 Wolves

2: Cats <3

I love cats! Not just because they are cute, but because of how amazingly intelligent and expressive they can be, like wolves or dogs! I'm a Warriors fan too, so I obviously like cats for that reason as well =^.^=

3: Owls :D

Ever since I read Guardians of Ga'Hoole and saw the epic movie for it (besides the fact that Kludd and Metal Beak are supposed to be the SAME OWL) I've had a fascination for owls. They are totally my favorite bird, especially barn owls and great horned owls ^_^

4: Dogs

I want to get a pet dog XD They are just so hilarious and entertaining and adorabru!  My favorite type of dog is German Shepherd, followed by Husky. Gotta love big dogs :3

Offline llJinxxyll

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • |||Jinxxy|||
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:57:26 pm »

Sabertooth tigers/cats<3333

LIONS!<333

FOXESSS!!<33

ELEPHANTS!!!<333333

?Jinxxy?
�True Wiccan
�Oreo Eater
�T.A.N.W.E.R.D.O.
Cute Avatar by Rusty! Thanks hun<333

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 01:22:17 am »

ELEPHANTS!!!<333333

Elephants are awesome, and oh lord that gif is so cute I could die.

My deviantART

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 02:20:16 am »
My favorite animals?

Okapi:

I know it's extinct, but I've been interested in this animal:

The Quagga:

Foxes! Of all types! Bat-eared, grey, red, arctic, fennec, crab-eating....

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 02:36:16 am »
Giraffes, sort of.

I love horses too <3

Lions, of course

White lions too, of course.

I also love fennec foxes, and all kind of foxes and members of the dog family, really!

Favorite animal is the entire cat family, probably. XD

Including tigers.

I love so many animals, perhaps all, and I can't choose just one favorite <3
Arctic animals are cool too~ <3 I honestly can't pick a favorite exactly. XD

Offline Abomine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:53:50 am »

Foxes! Of all types! Bat-eared, grey, red, arctic, fennec, crab-eating....

Okapis are gorgeous, and fennec foxes...oh lordy. Cuteness at that high of a level should be illegal.

My deviantART

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 04:42:06 am »
I'd simply say 'all vultures', but-... There's one that sticks out amongst them all for me. :D

Lammergeiers (or Bearded Vultures) are definitely my favourites! They're so-... Unique. I love the savage, prehistoric feel to them- and the distinctive eyes. I'm especially partial to vultures, but these definitely rank amongst my favourites; I've a few characters based on them! My wall's covered in lammergeier portraits I've painted.

Waldrapp Ibis/Northern Bald Ibis is another one of my favourites, rivalling even my love for bearded vultures! It's, sadly, an extremely endangered (ranked as critically endangered on the IUCN-- one step away from being extinct in the wild) bird that doesn't get the attention it deserves-- likely due to its ugly, non-cute appearance. Pandas certainly hog the spotlight over these! I find them so distinctive; I've been completely and utterly enraptured with them ever since having the pleasure of seeing them at my local zoo many, many years ago!

Can't forget ye' olde spotted hyena. I can't watch a documentary on them without smiling; they're such fascinating (and often goofy) critters when socializing! I really do despise the terrible reputation they've been wrongfully given-- they're phenomenal predators.