Author Topic: Character Themes/Styles Anyone?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Kynvuu

• #Grimstagram
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 212
  • I'm not saying that it was aliens but...
    • View Profile
Character Themes/Styles Anyone?
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:23:12 am »
So, I was just strolling through my characters on the selection screen, and I happened to notice that all of my characters looked pretty uniform. They all have the basic build as in body shape and mane features. And then I couldn't help but notice that all of my characters look pretty futuristic/steampunk themed. And I guess I don't even mean to make them look similar on purpose, that's just kinda my style or look for characters.

So I was curious to see if any of you guys have character styles or themes. Are there certain ways you make all of your characters? Do they pertain to the same type of genre or theme? Or are you characters just random and all unique? Do you have a certain "Character Style", and if so what is it?
On a temporary leave. Please contact other members of staff if you need assistance.

Preach

Re: Character Themes/Styles Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:29:06 am »
I guess I can say my characters are unqiue in the way. Then a again, they haven't just came to mind. Most of my characters are adoptables. They may not be creative but they are unqiue and special to me. It's okay to not have an unqiue character...what counts is that you enjoy the designs and just comfortable playing with them. I hope I made sense.

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:41:19 am »
Now that I'm thinking about it, with the exception of one character, I usually had the vast majority of my characters being big, burly characters who faced trouble and hardship head-on, though I guess that's the only thing that they all had in common.
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline CosmoFursi

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 97
  • . steal my starbucks and i'll steal your soul
    • SSFireWolf
    • channel/UC4pX64nRbfEuRcBaNlVxlJw
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:43:48 am »
Hmm, I guess I have different styles, but I have noticed that three of my characters, Ashen, Ashleaf, and Avis, are based off of things I have gotten/created in real life.

Ashen was based off of my Sonic the Hedgehog OC (One of the four), called Ashen Grace. Same colors, scar, everything. Ashleaf is based off of my cat OC, also called Ashleaf. Same design, colors, everything. Avis is based off of two fox figures I have, called Avis and Ave.

I've noticed, also, that a few of my characters have something red about them. Fire, well you can tell by her looks. EmberFlower has red-orange markings. Emerl has some red on her. Naoma also has red about her design. And one of my other characters, Ferra, has red scales and such.

I also see myself designing characters with something unique about them. Whether it be markings, some items, or something else.

To sum it all up, I make characters based off of something in real life (Or some OC of mine), I give characters something red about them, and I give my characters something unique.

ArcticGalaxy

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 12:44:33 am »
Eh, from my perspective, not really. I actually have mostly realistic characters, so I'm not really special. xD

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 12:46:52 am »
Most of my characters are just cynics, nerds and/or anxious messes. I guess I just go for the wierd characteristics. Some of my more serious characters have more of an analytical mindset though, like Scuttle as a reckoner and tactician, or Kafshe and Bullroarer being travelling wizard dragons.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:15 am »
I don't particularly enjoy have skinny canines so they're always similar in the quite chubby build in-game, and actually yes the colours do see similar n the custom skin... and then I make them presets haha! Nice thread you've got going here!

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 07:19:50 am »
A reoccurring theme I notice in my characters is a half & half thing about them. At first it was intentional but now it sort of just happens. All my characters either sport a half colored eye, personality, or literally halved face. So I guess I can say that there is a heavy focus on the concept of duality to them all whether I did it purposefully or not.

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 04:20:17 pm »
I don't really have too much of a theme to my characters. I guess a lot of them, appearance wise, are more skinny and lanky, or otherwise just muscular and large. I like using mostly realistic pelt colors with the occasional brightly colored marking (as well as unrealistic eye colors). Long manes are also a pretty common thing in my characters.

I try to have a lot of variety in my characters' personalities---but they usually still end up having a more aggressive or hotheaded personality ahaaa. I usually try to have most of my characters with a 'fake' personality that they display to others, but are hiding other feelings or traits underneath that--sometimes good, sometimes bad. (For example, my character Koldo comes off as a strong, tough guy, who doesn't need anyone else---but he's actually pretty much a huge coward, and he cares deeply for everyone around him, and doesn't want anything to happen to them, even if he pretends to not care.)

Offline Reaper

• Exotic Butters
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 72
  • OOF
    • http://firesboss.deviantart.com/
    • ravenmccain1
    • witheredfoxy12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:10:59 pm »
I just use my creativity on making my characters. I don't really have  a theme to them.