Poll

Should we get rid of the karma option?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Karma  (Read 43350 times)

Babe

Re: Karma
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2011, 02:58:30 pm »
o_____o Holy god that's a horrible typo. Thanks for pointing that out to me. XD Do you mind editing your post to also rid of the type in my quoted text? :3

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #131 on: May 24, 2011, 03:01:20 pm »
Sure, I'll edit. I laughed so hard when I saw that typo XD

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

Offline Tigg

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Your right hand on 3D-Meshes
    • t-i-g-g
    • channel/UCKuFJTwBJf94Tq07oVBNMrA
    • TiggDarkfury
    • View Profile
    • Isla Thanatos Gameserver
« Reply #132 on: May 24, 2011, 09:23:35 pm »
About my own Karma, no, i havent changed it. I ranted that much to Razmirz that he killed my Karma to constant 0.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 24, 2011, 09:48:14 pm »
I lost several points karma today and it prompted me to search my previous posts to make sure I hadn't said anything dumb or offensive. It lets me know how I'm really behaving, as opposed to how I think I am. I care a lot about what people think of me, and with my activity levels I find it important to show I'm the type who can be a role model, as new posters will be looking up to me (Especially as my post count rises). It also helps prevent people from getting upset when someone else says something rude. They'd see that the rude person has a low karma, and it lets them know that the forum is aware of this person's behavior, and isn't tolerating it.

Low karma isn't too hard to recover from either, I spent quite awhile with a - karma when I first started. I've only seen one person with a karma below -5, and a group got together to raise it back to zero.

I just say we take it lightly, and have fun with it.

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #134 on: May 24, 2011, 09:50:57 pm »
Its not fun when people abuse it.

Offline Jitters

• Mutant Turtle
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 146
  • Hero in a Half Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 24, 2011, 10:04:53 pm »
Its not fun when people abuse it.

I haven't seen a single case of it being abused yet... but I haven't been here as long as others. Do you have an example of a situation?

Tyki Mikk

« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2011, 10:50:56 pm »
Im not calling out any names, but a few users have suffered from karma fluctuations, like myself. Like, if I were to say something in a debate with someone and they totally disagree with me, they DO have the ability to bite me every chance they get just because they dont agree. Its happened to me, except I know it wasnt just one person.

Plus, people will judge you over karma. Say if I have -6 karma (which I did a one time) people will think I did something stupid and think that Im such a stupid person. Or respond to me negatively because of a stupid number. It does happen whether you see it or not. Which is why I really do want an on/off button. Because I dont want to be looked down upon because I expressed my opinion. That kind of stuff makes people not want to express their views at all.

Now not everyone cares about karma. I myself am trying not to care so much about what people here think about me. But other people really do care and their feelings might be hurt when they log on to find that people are biting them over and over because of one mistake.

I hate karma because of what it makes people think. I'd rather people tell me they dont agree with me then be bitten a thousand times over by people that weren't even in the convo.

Ive been here since a little after this forum was opened. And Ive seen some crazy negative karma amounts. One person had -20 karma. Maybe a little more. I kid you not.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 10:55:21 pm by Tyki_Mikk »

Twiliac

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2011, 03:25:53 am »
Im not calling out any names, but a few users have suffered from karma fluctuations, like myself. Like, if I were to say something in a debate with someone and they totally disagree with me, they DO have the ability to bite me every chance they get just because they dont agree. Its happened to me, except I know it wasnt just one person.

Plus, people will judge you over karma. Say if I have -6 karma (which I did a one time) people will think I did something stupid and think that Im such a stupid person. Or respond to me negatively because of a stupid number. It does happen whether you see it or not. Which is why I really do want an on/off button. Because I dont want to be looked down upon because I expressed my opinion. That kind of stuff makes people not want to express their views at all.

Now not everyone cares about karma. I myself am trying not to care so much about what people here think about me. But other people really do care and their feelings might be hurt when they log on to find that people are biting them over and over because of one mistake.

I hate karma because of what it makes people think. I'd rather people tell me they dont agree with me then be bitten a thousand times over by people that weren't even in the convo.

Ive been here since a little after this forum was opened. And Ive seen some crazy negative karma amounts. One person had -20 karma. Maybe a little more. I kid you not.

Within one day, I went from 26 karma to 0. So yes, I've gone through quite a few karma fluctuation in truth.

I'd say, an off/on button, or simply be able to disable it..

Offline Ouuka

• Ramine's Nuudel
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Burp
    • Blue-Rakuen
    • SliferBeau
    • View Profile
    • Blue-Rakuen DA
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2011, 05:53:39 am »
Id say keep it but perhaps with some sites, only a limit a day of scolding someone, unlimited approving someone. Some take it way to much to heart bout what the number says, but i do admit its nice off and on to see someone appreciated what i said or posted to grant me a point. I dont mind either way it goes, but its nice to have it around.

Offline Cynder-

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • IMMA FIRIN MAH LAAZZAARRDAFGNADJFADG
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2011, 02:18:07 pm »
I think we should get rid of it. There isn't much of a point to it, except make people feel good about themselves or bad. I mean, maybe we should keep it. If we got like a karma shop where we could spend our karma or something. But without that I think we should just get rid of it.