Author Topic: They are everywhere...  (Read 3111 times)

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
They are everywhere...
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:43:34 am »
I have been really fired up about this one problem. I'm not reporting anyone in particular, I'm just getting a little angry.
I know we all have brought it up at least once, but here goes.
Character copying.
You have no idea how mad this makes me. I know that my characters design is very easy to copy, but no one just HAPPENS to make a character named Skylar with grey under fur, pink mane, black markings, stripes of any sorts on their bellies... Unless you were an extremely lucky person. It gets on my nerves. A lot.
Now this kind of character copier is the one that makes me want to throw my laptop across the room...

I'll be posting this picture on areyouserious.com/whatiswrongwithyou...
A few minutes after the person who thought I was a boy realised I was not amused, they ran away an disconnected.
DO NOT get me started on the person earlier this year who copied Skylar down to every detail and blocked me everytime I tried to reason with her... Ergh
What are your guys opinions on this subject? What are worst kinds of character copiers? I'd love your opinions on this matter.
Again. I am not reporting anyone, because 1. I don't feel the need to report them for something that no one can control 2. it's a forum rule and 3. I'm looking for opinions, not attention
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:00:51 am by CallMeWild »

spirit, who could not be broken

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Re: They are everywhere...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 01:01:50 am »
If that person did design their character to look like yours, they probably did it to make you mad. If that's the case, they succeeded in making you mad. You should just ignore them and not give them the satisfaction of letting them see you upset about it. There is no rule against character copying, really. This topic has been discussed countless times already, and many people suggest that you block and ignore them. That's what I would do.
Inactive

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:26 am »
Ah yes, I think all of us have ran into a character copier sometime on Feralheart before. Personally, I think they can be pretty annoying for stealing an idea that could've taken some time to think of in character creator, but there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. It's not against the rules to character copy-even though it's extremely annoying-because you cannot copyright someone else's markings. I have been seeing people with biographies saying something along the lines of, "copy my character and I will report you and you will be banned!" I'm not sure if that's just a joke or they actually will report you for something so silly, but eh. I once ran into a copier months ago with an old character of mine (Xylina, I think her name was.) Long story short, I was in AI, a character copier came along and literally started logging off (editing their character) and logged back in looking more like mine each time. It was a bit annoying really; I loved that character, even thought I don't use her anymore. I mean, I appreciate that you like my character's design enough to copy it, but you could probably make a better, original character for just two minutes more than you would logging in and logging out.

Anyways, I have to agree with you there, it can be annoying, but there's nothing that can be done.

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:06:01 am »
If that person did design their character to look like yours, they probably did it to make you mad. If that's the case, they succeeded in making you mad. You should just ignore them and not give them the satisfaction of letting them see you upset about it. There is no rule against character copying, really. This topic has been discussed countless times already, and many people suggest that you block and ignore them. That's what I would do.

I didn't say anything to them. I just stared and went to block her but she ran for it.

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:07:37 am »
I've never met one personally. I think the best way to handle it would be either ignore and block, or casually talk to your newly found twin.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:10:21 am »
I've never met one personally. I think the best way to handle it would be either ignore and block, or casually talk to your newly found twin.

If I find them annoying, I block them... But yeah, if I do find them funny I will talk to them. It depends on what kind of person they are xD

Offline Fallenleaf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:21:53 am »
I have a story of my own. You see, my friend has this character that she connects often on. The character's name is Flightsong, and she has a mate called Flame, who can control fire.

Now, earlier this month, she sees this Flightsong with the exact same design, who claimed they had created their character before my friend did. I connected, and asked them about their life. They responded that they had a mate called Flame who could control fire, and that their character Flightsong had been left emotionally scarred by some event. The story was very similar to my friend's character.

My friend RPed her character all the way, building up her story through RP events. The Flame we know is RPed by someone, while the other stated that their mate was not RPed by anyone.

The person ran away and later came back to say: "sorry". They then logged off, with no further explaination.

wolfdog01

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 06:13:54 am »
This has happened a few times to me.
Once was on Maxwell, now he is a fairly easy char to copy but I love him, and there was a person named Snow who had the exact same colors, same markings, a different style mane and name were the only different things from what I can remember. Now in Maxy's bio I have it that he walks everywhere, and this person was doing just that. They followed me when I moved to another spot and they stared at me sometimes, I think they even mentioned that we look similar but I have a feeling he was a copier...
And it really kills me when someone copies Thyme without my permission. Mainly the ones who do the exacts eyes, because her eyes I don't see a lot of people use. I had a friend who, once she met me, she started to make her chars look very much alike to Thyme. Once a friend of mine tried to copy her as well, almost exact, she thought it was funny but I didn't, neither did my other friends. I only allow for copiers when I am either making a mini army of similar Thyme's or just for the fun of it.

But yeah, it bugs me a lot, not so much anymore because I just ignore them now and it seems like less and less people are doing it to me, which is nice. But yeah, glad you know to block instead of get all worked up and give them the pleasure of laughing in your face.

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:36 am »
I've had people copy my characters 4 times.  What's worse is that they didn't ask me to take the design, no, they just simply re-created the character and called it theirs.  Sometimes they even used the same name.  Two of the times it was actually the same person.  But I don't usually block them because then I'd be unable to take screen shots etc.  Gahh charrie copiers are so freakin annoying >:c

wolfdog01

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 07:23:09 am »
I've had people copy my characters 4 times.  What's worse is that they didn't ask me to take the design, no, they just simply re-created the character and called it theirs.  Sometimes they even used the same name.  Two of the times it was actually the same person.  But I don't usually block them because then I'd be unable to take screen shots etc.  Gahh charrie copiers are so freakin annoying >:c

I feel like your signature really pulls it all together XP