Author Topic: Game crashing  (Read 1729 times)

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
Game crashing
« on: August 07, 2014, 08:37:03 am »
Hey!
I've been trying to open FH on my school laptop (I usually use it on my school laptop because it works best on there).
I as soon as I open the game it crashes instantly.
I've tried restarting the computer, opening and closing FH. The only things I didn't do was reinstall FH or remove the addons. Any help?
Thank you~ c:

spirit, who could not be broken

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »
Have you downloaded anything for the game recently? (e.g. maps, particles etc..). If so, try removing them from the game and relaunch. There are other solutions too, such as changing your rendering system. Or even lowering the quality to gain a better performance such as Turning off the water reflection, putting the view distance down to 0 and lowering other video controls in the options.

First of all, most of the material in this thread is taken/copied from other people, all credit to them for fixing it. :3
So I'm just putting them all into one thread. (:

1. Try changing your rendering subsystem.

The absolute First thing you want to try is to change the rendering mode for the game. There's different rendering modes you can pick from, usually OpenGL and Direct3D9. This decides which way your graphic card should process the game. This one is at standard set to OpenGL, so we'd want to set it to Direct3D9.

There's 2 ways you can change this setting.

How to fix it!
Either you start the game, go into the options menu, click the Video tab, and then change the rendering subsystem and restart the game.

Sometimes you aren't able to even enter the game, and all you can hear is the menu music, or it just crashes directly after launch. Those who experience this can enter the feralheart folder located in C:\FeralHeart at standard, find the file called "Ogre.cfg" and open it with wordpad.

This file works just as the ingame options menu, but instead of buttons and sliders, there's text.

What we're interested in is the top row

Set the top row text so it is just like in the picture with the text
Code: [Select]
Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 07:25:55 am »
Have you downloaded anything for the game recently? (e.g. maps, particles etc..). If so, try removing them from the game and relaunch. There are other solutions too, such as changing your rendering system. Or even lowering the quality to gain a better performance such as Turning off the water reflection, putting the view distance down to 0 and lowering other video controls in the options.

First of all, most of the material in this thread is taken/copied from other people, all credit to them for fixing it. :3
So I'm just putting them all into one thread. (:

1. Try changing your rendering subsystem.

The absolute First thing you want to try is to change the rendering mode for the game. There's different rendering modes you can pick from, usually OpenGL and Direct3D9. This decides which way your graphic card should process the game. This one is at standard set to OpenGL, so we'd want to set it to Direct3D9.

There's 2 ways you can change this setting.

How to fix it!
Either you start the game, go into the options menu, click the Video tab, and then change the rendering subsystem and restart the game.

Sometimes you aren't able to even enter the game, and all you can hear is the menu music, or it just crashes directly after launch. Those who experience this can enter the feralheart folder located in C:\FeralHeart at standard, find the file called "Ogre.cfg" and open it with wordpad.

This file works just as the ingame options menu, but instead of buttons and sliders, there's text.

What we're interested in is the top row

Set the top row text so it is just like in the picture with the text
Code: [Select]
Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

I have tried all of this but it still crashes. And, when I open it opens the rendering setup, it still says OpenGL even when I've changed it to Direct3D9 on wordpad.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:47:05 am »
If the game says a certain rendering mode on startup in the little box, then it will launch said rendering mode. However if the game does crash it sometimes reverts or changes to the other rendering mode without you doing anything at all.

Either you don't save the config before closing it down, you don't edit the text in it properly, or neither rendering modes work anymore for some reason.

If you aren't used to editing these files or just have issues getting by this one hiccup the most friendly way to sort things is really to just re-install the game. Remove the old game folder from C:\FeralHeart and then install a new copy of the game. It should set the rendering mode to Direct3D9 after a failed startup with OpenGL.

If you still have issues even after that it might be something else and not something related to the game(Taking for granted that you edited the ogre.cfg properly without any luck).
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline WildWolf#1

• Experienced Traveler
  • pottymouth posse
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 11:24:50 pm »
I don't think either rendering systems work, because I have noticed it changes every time I try getting back on.
I'll try reinstalling.
Thank you, Red.