Author Topic: Roleplay Etiquette  (Read 16693 times)

ColonelHamilton

Re: Roleplay Etiquette
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2011, 08:13:09 am »
18) Unreadability.  Using a font or combination of colors that makes roleplay posts hard to read.  It doesn't matter how 'pretty' you think that gray text looks on that slightly lighter gray background.  It doesn't matter that people can highlight the text in order to read it.  They shouldn't have to go through the trouble just so you can satisfy your impractical aesthetic urges.  If you are going to change the default type, only do so if you are sure it is readable.  

19) Purple Prose.  Using descriptions that are so flowery they become ridiculous and agonizing.  One does not need to spend several paragraphs describing a character's eye color in a variety of over the top metaphors on a character profile.  The same could be said of describing the ache of emptiness in an angsting character's heart.  Here is an example of purple prose taken from a real character profile:

"Hair: Raspberry bushes -- ripe and kissed in morning dew. Harumi's hair flows in soft strands of pale copper, with a sweet touch a roasted pecan shade kissed with threads the color of nutmeg and raspberry truffle cake. Silken flushed tresses slithers down, slighting brushing against the delicate curve of her shoulders which is as tender as the gentle strike of a butterfly, lithely floating about until finally settling upon the glazed rose bloom of her skin. Her hair was once long (Oh, was it unquestionably long) brushing against delicate arch of her slender spine. "

A description like this, while pretty, often goes on so long that you end up unsure of what you just read.  Ironically, something like this conveys more information while being easier to read: "Harumi has light brown hair that just reaches her shoulders; it's slightly curled and always parted in the center."  

20) Thesaurus Abuse.  Often related to Purple Prose.  A thesaurus is a valuable but dangerous tool for a writer.  When you can't find just the right word you are looking for, it's useful. However, some use it for evil trying, to find the most obscure and long words for the simplest of things.  The worst cases of thesaurus abuse end with people having to use dictionaries in order to read what is being said Language is often subtle, and if you aren't familiar with a word and see it in a thesaurus, you might miss use it.   For example, on one online thesaurus, both 'qualified' and 'wise' are listed as synonyms for 'clever', but obviously you can't replace one with the other without changing the meaning of what is being said.  Using terms like 'ocular orbs' for 'eyes' isn't better writing; it's unclear and wordy without being more powerful.  Clarity is the first goal of writing; style should make things clearer, not obfuscate the meaning.

Offline Kyugima

• Dovahkiin
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 182
  • Koo Koo Kachoo
    • View Profile
    • DropJaw
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2011, 08:30:16 am »
  Oh man, I couldn't understand a word of what was said in the sample...
  I think I might be a little guilty of thesaurus abuse. but I'm still trying to find the imbetween between how I used to write and how I write now. In the old days, I would use the same words over and over and over, and it got a little bland for those reading...
  Unreadabilty is the worst for me, I have very bad eye sight and people using pretty colours that I have to concentrate to see actually gives me migraines due to the strain on my eyes.

And this is very useful!!! I love reading these!

please click here! Help me raise my pokemon!
Signature: Kyugima, Rimfrost, Deafosho

slycan

« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2011, 08:44:12 am »
how about IRL =/=  RP

I find that a lot of people start adding their real feelings toward a RP - which is good unless taken to far.. say the person is a mate with your character.. and starts stalking you around on msn and such like you guys are going out or something x.x. Or even if you kill their character, they start having a nerd rage and tell their entire pack to go after you..

source : happened alot in IT.

Babe

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2011, 03:18:14 pm »
Sly, that would be OOC =/= IC and IC =/= OOC ^^' Which is so true, and sad that people do.

Thank you for the helpful guide. :3

Offline Halopromise

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 32
  • [Insert witty text here] <3
    • View Profile
    • Twisted Fury Pack Reborn
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2011, 03:24:08 pm »
I've seen this 1000 times myself Sly. People go to some extreme lengths in RP and don't see the line between role play and reality.
Halo ~ Queen and creator of Twisted Fury Pack Reborn.

http://TwistedFurypackreborn.wetpaint.com/
- All animal RPG | Over 2000 members | post - apocalyptic | Fantasy

slycan

« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »
Oh okay thanks ;3

and yes it is x.x

ColonelHamilton

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:24 am »
I may start making a new part of this list devoted o=to good roleplaying.

weylin

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 05:45:53 am »
I try not to use the thesaurus unless I really REALLLLLY need it. Most of the time people are being descriptive in their roleplays they use some really odd words.
I mean, I understand what they're saying, but the words are totally out of context and don't seem to flow.

As was said, using, say, 'ocular' instead of eyes, it makes it sound like a scientific document or something.

Offline alice

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Ayyyy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2011, 02:14:39 am »
I've re-read a few favorite, classic epics too much to not be long-winded T.T But I do so love this :D

Icon by Awentia of TEF, for my explicit use

ColonelHamilton

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2011, 06:26:20 am »
lol, you're not long winded. : )