Author Topic: Moonrise- Warrior Cats RPG.  (Read 18103 times)

Offline Skullfrost

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 29
    • @x_skulleh
    • View Profile
Re: Moonrise- Warrior Cats RPG.
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2016, 12:38:16 pm »
To be honest, under Fair Use, we probably could hold a kickstarter for it if we really wanted to, without permission from the Warriors copyright holders. However, we're going to avoid doing so just in case.

Moonrise uses the main concept of Warriors, but there are so many changes to it that it could be, under Fair Use, be considered a parody. Fair Use states that parts of a copyrighted work may be used in another work if it is transformative, used for educational purposes, research purposes, criticism purposes, or parody.

Moonrise falls under the 'transformative' category here- for one, it is a game rather than books.

Secondly, none of the Warriors Clans are used within Moonrise. Instead, we use our own, much different Clans with no relation to the books.

No characters from the books exist in MR, making it even more different. Along with this, the concept of StarClan is different as well- it is led by the founders as 'Gods' of sorts. Who goes to Dark Forest or StarClan is decided upon by them, rather than some random StarClan cat with a dislike for someone.(See: Bluestar and Thistleclaw)

Moonrise, although a game based heavily around "Warriors", has enough differences to qualify under fair use.

Let me use an example here(thanks fangie for ur obsession with SP that led me to find this lmao):

South Park, at one point, parodied a song called "What what in the butt".(lol) It was basically the same thing, but animated and using Butters to sing it. The song creators sued South Park over this, but South Park actually won, since it qualified under Fair Use. And South Park made money off of the episode!

Point being; Moonrise has enough differences from canon Warriors to qualify under Fair Use, whether we held a Kickstarter(monetization) for it or not. (As it turns out, under Fair Use, it actually doesn't matter if money is made or not.)

We're not going to go with a Kickstarter at this point, but it wouldn't be illegal to do so.

As it also is not illegal to make the game itself, and yes, it will be multiplayer. If it comes down to it and we cannot afford to host multiplayer servers, and we /have/ to hold a fundraiser, then we will with this same Fair Use explanation.

I don't think we'll need it, however.

Offline LavaCat

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2016, 02:46:37 am »
Quick question, will there be a weight regulation system in this game? Assuming I'm as bad with words now as I usually am, what I mean is if your cat regularly eats food and is healthy will they keep a consistent and normal weight? Same if they don't eat enough or too much, will their ribs be showing/ stomach dipping or bulging? Now, I'm not a game creator so I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about here but I still assume that this would be a complicated system so I wouldn't necessarily expect it but it doesn't seem entirely impossible with such talented people working to make this game great.

Also, thanks for keeping up with idiots like me who keep bugging you with questions here but the MR site is just a little confusing for me and I feel a bit more conformable here.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:56:09 am by Holly »

Offline Skullfrost

• Experienced Traveler
    • @x_skulleh
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2016, 04:29:04 am »
Uhhh at the moment we haven't really planned out any sort of weight regulation

we might integrate it at some point but at the moment I'm not sure how to do something like that. xD

Offline LavaCat

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 07:10:33 pm »
Haha, just wondering because I heard some rumors about it. But I think the easiest way to put it in would be to have different models for each season, doing it off of exactly how much is eaten every single day would be quite complicated but just like I said it wouldn't be entirely impossible, I mean, San Andreas did it and that game is OLD XD but they did have an entire team of professional game makers working on it. Totally not trying to pressure you guys into doing something that would be too difficult, just thinking :)

And I was looking through the threads on the MR site and I have to say, from what I can see, the game is looking great so far. I will wait YEARS to play it if I have to XD It's going to be so fun!

Offline Cassidycz

• Curious Wanderer
  • I don't crae o-o
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 01:26:12 pm »
Is this still a thing? Like, it's 2017 now, and this post is from 2015 i guess. ( And actually, the oldest information about Monnrise I found was from 2013, but that was still supposed to be a MMORPG multiplayer). I really looking foward to play an MMORPG based on Warriors books, and when movie is offically coming out, I want to play even more XD
So I hope it's still in development? I know this game has no date when it's finished, and I hope it'll be soon. I just want to know if this is still a real thin or not.

Warning: I am from Evrope, and my english isn't really great, so sorry for my grammatic errors!

AngryGayFish

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 02:07:11 pm »
Is this still a thing? Like, it's 2017 now, and this post is from 2015 i guess. ( And actually, the oldest information about Monnrise I found was from 2013, but that was still supposed to be a MMORPG multiplayer). I really looking foward to play an MMORPG based on Warriors books, and when movie is offically coming out, I want to play even more XD
So I hope it's still in development? I know this game has no date when it's finished, and I hope it'll be soon. I just want to know if this is still a real thin or not.

Warning: I am from Evrope, and my english isn't really great, so sorry for my grammatic errors!

This most likely not a thing anymore.. Considering the last post was from May 30th 2016. Also, I wouldn't necro old threads..

Offline Fifteen

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • yello
    • 15Barkers
    • channel/UC7c12IAk4e4Il7pcg-BapFg
    • fllfteen
    • fifteenislame/
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 02:53:20 pm »
Moonrise is, indeed, no longer a thing anymore. Drama went off in the community, and it was revealed that the staff hadn't been working on the game for quite a while, if I remember correctly; they'd been posting old screenshots of things they'd already been working on. As I quote, from the 'note' left on their website (which is now on Maintenance Mode):

"Moonrise has gone up in flames and died. Rest in peace, Moonrise, it wasn't nice knowing you for three years. Alch is making an attempt to rebuild the community on a new site, so good luck. No, seriously. Good luck, you'll need it. You're gonna run into a lot of problems, just like I did. Don't think it will be any easier for you. The 'new site' can be found here: http://golden-steps.freeforums.net/ ~Skulleh"

Golden-Steps, however, became inactive, and most members have moved to another roleplay website created by Alchemy: http://warriors-renaissance.freeforums.net/.

WaterMelons4lif

« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2017, 01:32:27 am »
I wanna join but it says the forum It still in matience mode.

Sorry for necro-threading

Offline Skullfrost

• Experienced Traveler
    • @x_skulleh
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2017, 09:38:28 pm »
Moonrise as it was is dead with no current publicly announced plans to revive it. Who knows, the concept might be picked back up in the future, but as it stands now, Moonrise does not and will not exist. The community was too toxic to handle, and eventually just drove the staff to close it down as we couldn't put up with it anymore.

That's what happens when you start a community when you're 13 and have no clue what you're doing- that first and second year will stick with your reputation forever, whether you've improved or not.

Sorry to disappoint anyone who might have been looking forward to MR, but sadly due to the constant fighting within the community, it is cancelled until further notice.

Also, just to clear up a previous statement, though, it was not 'revealed' that we were only posting old screenshots, because we were not. It was well known and stated numerous times that the game was in semi stasis and not being actively worked on. The posts made in the game diaries thread were not old screenshots, but new things that I had been working casually on and decided to show seeing as we hadn't had anything to show in a while.

'Course, that backfired on me, with staff claiming I hadn't been doing anything/directing the game/etc despite many of them having been given assignments they agreed to do and just apparently didn't do or didn't have the time to do, to which I let them take their own time. Everyone was busy, and I respected that- annnd that turned into me being a tyrant only in it for the power who everyone hates. Yep, seems legit.

Not to mention that after I finally broke down and cancelled the game, they continuously went after and harassed me afterwards... Ah, fun times. That discord chat spam was great.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:47:02 pm by Skullfrost »

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2017, 11:45:44 pm »
Seeing as this game was shut down I'll be locking this thread up. Skullfrost, if the project is resumed in the future you're more than welcome to pm a staffer and request this thread to be unlocked

Sorry to hear about what happened, and I hope things improve for you
Farewell everyone<3