Author Topic: Why Are You Offended?  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Nixoff

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • pregnant males in buttfire
    • View Profile
Why Are You Offended?
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:30:10 am »
A bit of a rant, and this can go for any forums, games, chats, you name it. I want to know why caps makes people so disgusted.

One thing, excessively using it in the chat is obviously annoying because it takes up for space that the average lower case letter and it looks like you're yelling through a chat box. But I'm talking about the one time caps thing where people just use it for one sentence or even a word.

Example:
<p1> Haay.
<p2> Hello.
<p2> *crawls towards*
<p1> DON'T TOUCH ME. *hiss*

^ Yes, people do get mad at that. They won't go on a rampage but they'll say, 'easy with the caps', and what not, when they're obviously not spamming it. Using caps is just to had some humorous effect to some level.

It doesn't happen often, but it still gets on my nerves.

I also don't like to see it when people say they're getting headaches because someone starting talking a bit too much in a quiet chat. Not spamming, just more than average. These people tend to get mad because they like quieter chats for once which is odd because this game is meant for chatting and role-playing.

Example:
<p1> Wow.
<p1> It is quiet.
<p1> You guys alive?
*few moments later*
<p1> Day 2, still no sign of life in the chat box. I am left to feed off scraps of the feedback from connecting users.
<p2> It was better when it was quiet...
<p1> Then go to Lonely Cave.

Chats are better when people are talking. Of course, overflowing, it's a bit too much, but it's better than silence. I usually sit doing nothing because my friends are offline and I like to read off of people's role plays and conversations. (it's not stalking if it's in local)

Yee, so, that's my rant. If you're easily offended by little things, that's okay, that's you, I don't want to change you. But, just try not start a fight.
when your friend knows you have gum in class

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
Re: Why Are You Offended?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:46 am »
Probably just those moderator-wannabes.
Unless they actually do have a headache weakness for capital letters.
(I think not.)

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »
It shouldn't be too surprising. It doesn't matter if it is spam or not, some people just can't stand caps and would try and avoid it. In my opinion, I say it just depends on the person. It seems everyone has a different interpretation of the tone anyone's using in their text, whether it be funny, sarcastic, or downright serious. I don't see caps as being a funny aspect to the given text, I only see it as yelling or a way to stress certain words or phrases. Or perhaps they're freaking out and just- it goes all different ways. But it still doesn't deny the fact that it comes off as annoying to some people and they should just be left alone with their own opinions.

As for those who desire a "quiet chat box," perhaps they're not in the mood for conversation? I've never once seen this situation where people actually don't want to see the chat being filled. It seems kind of rude nonetheless and if they don't enjoy the chatting that's going on, they should move to a different location or map or just hop offline for a little while. But- I'm not too certain what's going on, as I can't see the situation correctly.

In-game user: Panzramic

Offline Rinmei

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • sehunnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 03:48:32 pm »
I usually don't mind caps if they're being used in a joking manner or other. However, Mate Center-- oh boy. Mate Center usually spams caps for like, 2 hours straight, and it drives me and the other users crazy.
Anyway, if caps used for humor or else annoys somebody, it's best to just leave them alone.

? ? ?

Offline FizzyPaws

• Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • I'm too obsessed with Telephone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:18 pm »
I typically don't mind caps (Well in Animal Jam, the NPCs talk with EVERY other WORD capitalized for EMPHASIS, so I'M used TO it.) unless someone starts talking in only caps. I usually use it to emphasize words because there is no option for italics. It's just when someone starts spamming, it's like "Do you shout every second of your life? This is really unnecessary." But if it's one sentence it's not that bad.

Honestly if you want a quiet chat, go on a private map or whisper to your friends in Lonely Cave.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 04:43:23 pm »
I second this.

Probably the people who act like that are not so fun. Don't give them attention. :p lol

Offline Nixoff

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • pregnant males in buttfire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 07:32:19 pm »
Unless they actually do have a headache weakness for capital letters.
(I think not.)

I'd doubt tall letters would ever hurt somebody's eyes unless the font size is 100 and in a bright, neon color. Even the lowercase ones would hurt for that one.

It shouldn't be too surprising. It doesn't matter if it is spam or not, some people just can't stand caps and would try and avoid it. In my opinion, I say it just depends on the person. It seems everyone has a different interpretation of the tone anyone's using in their text, whether it be funny, sarcastic, or downright serious. I don't see caps as being a funny aspect to the given text, I only see it as yelling or a way to stress certain words or phrases. Or perhaps they're freaking out and just- it goes all different ways. But it still doesn't deny the fact that it comes off as annoying to some people and they should just be left alone with their own opinions.

As for those who desire a "quiet chat box," perhaps they're not in the mood for conversation? I've never once seen this situation where people actually don't want to see the chat being filled. It seems kind of rude nonetheless and if they don't enjoy the chatting that's going on, they should move to a different location or map or just hop offline for a little while. But- I'm not too certain what's going on, as I can't see the situation correctly.

I just interpret some uses of caps lock as funny.

And I'm assuming that person was chatting with someone else and didn't want their friends post to be bumped off the screen but they could've easily moved to a deserted place in the map. I witnessed this in Ficho Tunnel so down the waterfall would probably be quieter.

I usually don't mind caps if they're being used in a joking manner or other. However, Mate Center-- oh boy. Mate Center usually spams caps for like, 2 hours straight, and it drives me and the other users crazy.
Anyway, if caps used for humor or else annoys somebody, it's best to just leave them alone.

I haven't been on FeralHeart long enough or seen enough Mate Centers to see them caps spam. I know some capitalize their name, though. It makes sense in a map like Bonfire Island, though, because the chat is constantly moving, but I think the capitalized name is enough.

I typically don't mind caps (Well in Animal Jam, the NPCs talk with EVERY other WORD capitalized for EMPHASIS, so I'M used TO it.) unless someone starts talking in only caps. I usually use it to emphasize words because there is no option for italics. It's just when someone starts spamming, it's like "Do you shout every second of your life? This is really unnecessary." But if it's one sentence it's not that bad.

Honestly if you want a quiet chat, go on a private map or whisper to your friends in Lonely Cave.

That would probably annoy me if I played Animal Jam. Not because it's using caps lock but it's like those people who do this -

Everything I Say Has To Be A Title. Every Time I Do This It Takes Twice As Long For People To Read It Because Every Word Looks Like The Beginning Of A Sentence.

But yeah, I understand you what you mean by spamming. One sentence of caps is probably the max and then it should be toned down for a bit.

I second this.

Probably the people who act like that are not so fun. Don't give them attention. :p lol

I quoted everybody else so I didn't want to leave you out of it. x3
EDIT: I love the personal text below your icon. xD

Thank you all for your thoughts.
when your friend knows you have gum in class

Offline Panzram

• Reject false icons
  • Floof-O-Meter: 95
  • Chai tea addict
    • Koicrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 10:27:23 pm »
I just interpret some uses of caps lock as funny.

And I'm assuming that person was chatting with someone else and didn't want their friends post to be bumped off the screen but they could've easily moved to a deserted place in the map. I witnessed this in Ficho Tunnel so down the waterfall would probably be quieter.

Ah- that makes sense. But those who are role-playing also have the option of moving into Party chat if things are quite hectic in Local. Then they can turn off all other chats and resume role-playing with no worries. I don't know, I just find it quite rude in my opinion for others to somewhat directly or indirectly say they want it quiet in the chat box. I can understand, but hhn.

In-game user: Panzramic