Author Topic: Kovu is back, say what now?  (Read 12888 times)

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
Re: Kovu is back, say what now?
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2014, 03:44:51 am »

If the code becomes open-source, well. There will be a lot of similar games around no?

I'd actually say no considering the coding for FH is much more advanced. Even if people did gather a group with skilled enough people, I think it would take them longer to finish the game. So, maybe 3-5 games would come out, but I don't think it would be like IT.

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

Sir Equius

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2014, 04:57:54 am »
Can kovu kill feralfart and put up SUPER impressive title
/flamebait

D--> *Snags the flamebait*

It's really not necessary for Kovu to do such a thing. He clearly stated in his Facebook post that he was going to leave Feral Heart as is. In the end, it's all up to him on what he wants to do with Feral Heart. But it looks like he won't do anything to it any time soon.

Offline Abbi Normal

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • The Laughing Hyena
    • View Profile
    • Abbi Normal's DeviantArt
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »
I hope FH doesn't get dismantled or disolved (as on, FH is empty and over because everyone's on alternate servers if it goes fully open source). I mean, I practically just got here, it would suck to have to pack up and leave again as soon as I finished moving in. :/

I don't like the trnd of gaming all moving to FB and mobile platforms. I much prefer the client-based kind of game, like FH or SecondLife. I basically use my FB as a box to put my more unpleasant family members in so they can't mess with the rest of my life, and only open it when I absolutely must. Even if I made a separate FB account, I just really, really hate being on FB. It feels...icky. Feral Tails could be made of solid gold and cause your comp to spit out candy, and I wouldn't hang around on FB to play it. If it wound up in the android app store, and still wasn't one of those "free to play" games that make you pay actual money for random things you need for the game like most app store games, MAYBE, but I'll take an old client game over a new FB/app one any day.

If he decides not to come back even when Feral Tails is finished (if it ever really is. App management tends to be an on-going work) couldn't he just make the code "open" instead of open, as in give the coding the project files directly to current FH staff, and let them take over the work he doesn't even want to do, but under a license/contract/other agreement that restricts access to only active coding staff? Basically "hireH them to do it in his stead, kinda sorta? Name a successor, you might say? That way, we get updates, he gets FH off his back, and there aren't 1000 FH clones running around, because it's not actually opensourced. It's still secret source, he just let a few more eyeballs in on the secret.
My DeviantArt Account -- I draw a little bit of everything, make stuffed animals and getting into polymer clay.

My Tumblr -- general geek, fandom, and weird stuff.

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:33 pm »
Hmm, I'm a bit curious about this myself as well. My main concern is the drama...

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »
I hope FH doesn't get dismantled or disolved (as on, FH is empty and over because everyone's on alternate servers if it goes fully open source). I mean, I practically just got here, it would suck to have to pack up and leave again as soon as I finished moving in. :/
Well, as we've said before, FH isn't going anywhere for the time being. Even if LKD made it open source, we would access the codes, and probably be the first to do much with them, since we have the running game, as well as the three strong servers that are powerful enough to support it-- normal IT servers require much less server-power and money to maintain.
Not to mention, FH's code is stronger, more well-made for the most part (though it does have some fundamental flaws), but therefore requires more skill to set up. So I don't think there would be mini-FHs popping up everywhere if it did happen.
And even if another one did pop up, it might take some time for them to get onto their feet and get a userbase under them. If so, then cool, good for them--but it's far easier said than done, both by means of having the equipment to run it, and getting a full team of staff (including a reliable server master) that are there for the long haul (especially considering that we're three years old, and are still always looking for more reliable potential staff that show promising qualities before they're selected and trained).

So I wouldn't necessarily stress over this one. I'm sure there are others out there that would love to get their paws on FH's code other than us, but whatever happens, we're gonna be okay. c:

If he decides not to come back even when Feral Tails is finished (if it ever really is. App management tends to be an on-going work) couldn't he just make the code "open" instead of open, as in give the coding the project files directly to current FH staff, and let them take over the work he doesn't even want to do, but under a license/contract/other agreement that restricts access to only active coding staff? Basically "hireH them to do it in his stead, kinda sorta? Name a successor, you might say? That way, we get updates, he gets FH off his back, and there aren't 1000 FH clones running around, because it's not actually opensourced. It's still secret source, he just let a few more eyeballs in on the secret.
This is also something we've been debating back and forth for years, now, since he started his Feral Tales project. It's nice for him to branch out into what he is interested in, and if that's a FB game, then more power to him--but as it goes with anything in life, where people are depending on you, there is accountability that is necessary. So, when LKD left FH two years ago, there was an issue with accountability. We were worried for him, the whole community was, and not to mention we were left with our hands tied in regards to taking care of the game, including updating it for new material, but also for fixing bugs.
FeralHeart and its community are not just a toy you can throw away when you don't feel like playing anymore--there are people, here. There are things to care for, to either pass on to someone who will maintain it and care for it (giving him credit where credit is due, of course), or close it if you so wish for no one to have it at all. The latter of these is unlikely, though, since I think it would upset more than a few people.

I just hope he takes account for FeralHeart--it's not gonna run away, after all. We're all here waiting for him, and have been for years, and hope to work something out with him.

Though I think it is more likely that he'll release the code in an open-source way like he did with IT. Again, it's easier said than done, but right now it's just a waiting game.

We have FH taken care of in the mean time, though, so it's nothing to worry about. <3
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 09:09:03 pm by WhiteLightHeart »
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||