Author Topic: Unique Character Names: Why make a big deal about the way it's spelled?!  (Read 12258 times)

Offline Lady_Alizarin

• ✨ Is a Slytherin ✨
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 122
  • ~ Inactive on the forums
    • View Profile
Re: Character Names: Is it really that big of a deal to have a unique name?!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
It's nice to have character names spelled differently. It saves people from confusion between, perhaps another that might have the same name (but different spelling ;)). But most of my characters' names are really uncommon or improvised, so I don't have this problem very often - only once.

Exactly. I have some friends who came up with some really unique names that were, as you said, "improvised". I like it when people get creative with their character names, especially when they made them up themselves.  :)

Ikr. I have seen some people fight over that. I find it funny because it's nothing but pointless arguing over names that are commonly used throughout FH.
One time, some troll came up to me and harrass me because one of my characters supposedly had the person's real life name. She got upset and told me "That's my name IRL. I suggest you change it right now!!" -Facepalm- I couldn't believe it. I told her that I had named my character after something else and NOT her. She eventually left me alone and went away. Some people are just so vain. -.-  I've seen a few players run around with characters that have my actual name, but I don't say anything to them at all.

Vain? I would have gone with looking for a reason to be mad, or just plain not smart.
If that person thinks they're the only person in the world to have that name, and that anyone that uses it is stealing, well, then. Just. Lol.

Well, that is a good point. Some will do that for an excuse to fight and argue, because they got nothing better to do. That's when the block button comes in handy.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 03:57:28 pm by Alizarin »
Inactive

Offline SilverTW

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • Inactive account
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
Re: Character Names: Is it really that big of a deal to have a unique name?!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
This hasn't happened to me yet o.o

This account is no longer in use, and any messages sent to here will not be read. If you need to reach me, head to https://softdiamond.net

Specialized in FeralHeart Maps,Presets,Objects,Mods,Markings,Textures and MORE.
Video Maker and more!

Offline Tessel.

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 54
  • and this time, we're gonna get funky
    • View Profile
Re: Unique Character Names: Why make a big deal about the way it's spelled?!
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 04:03:14 pm »
Ikr. I've had people coming over to me saying I'm name stealing. It makes me laugh to THINK that they actually can't spell themselves, but i don't mention anything cause i really don't, care about what they THINK about my name. I've seen players with other players name's username's etc...I take no notice but, when people are spiteful about there words among others, it makes me THINK well maybe you need to take a break, and try saying that to another person. Cause it's hilarious to see them loosing the plot over someone that don't, give a "derp" About what they are saying, which is a good thing. When players say to others, Oh Mai Gawd! You Haz My Name! I'm like seriously..Its a name, but guys...

If people do say things about your name...Wither it be insulting or just Generally they think its, spelled wrong ignore them, they obviously, don't know the word different or changes, just ignore them when they say things. Because it will either cause havoc or chaos both meaning the same but what I'm trying to say is ignore them, don't let them pester you about a name. Even if it means the most to you.

Don't let them bother and there is a "Block" Button, so use it!
~~~Starlight1234~~~

Exactly.

Siggy and avi by me. PM me if you need anything, friends.

Offline meowool

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »

Offline WarriorMoo

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 23
  • Love and Bazookas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 10:03:10 pm »
While I myself have never exactly witness someone call out another over their name, I can relate to this in some way.
Heck, back on Impressive Title, someone threatened to report me over the fact that we both had the word "Neon" in our usernames. Yes. True story.
I figure they were just being a troll, or they would humiliate themselves.

As for my characters, no, I've never been called out for having a character share names with someone else's, and bashed for it..
Not even when I named my characters after certain species of pokemon while I was still new on Impressive Title.
Now, only a few times has someone mistaken my fursona for something off Warriors.
Her name's Bluefur, and she's a Gray Fox.

For one thing, I had no idea what Warriors was when I joined Impressive Title in August of 2008,
but a lot of players had names like "Shadowclaw" and "Ravenpelt" or something.
I went with it, and created Bluefur.
It was AFTER that that I learned about Warriors, and where people had gotten all those names from.
Even so, I kept the name, because I like it.

So yes, people have mistaken mine for a Warriors character when they see it on the chat.
I was never bashed for having a fox, let alone a canine-model character, have a "Warriors name" thankfully.

So yeah, for me it wasn't a matter of spelling, it was a matter of what the name meant to others.
But anyhoo, I love unique names, and although I'm not keen on spelling them different to make them look unique,
I never bash people for those who do. No one should.
I take to looking up different language and uncommon names (With a meaning to match the character,) for mine.
Norse and Russian ones are especially fun, since they have some different lettering.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 10:05:38 pm by WarriorMoo »
"BAZOOKA!"

^ Sofas are awesome.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 07:49:07 pm »
I've shared some similar experiences as Warriormoo. I've never been called out for the spelling of my character's names. I /have/ however been confronted by others with similar character names and usernames (Which is a little amusing when you think about t, being that I'm "Silhouette" without numbers attached, and you would think most people would assume I was the first one to get that name on the website anyway. (And I did, but that does not matter anyway.) But no, it still happens. Some of them realize their mistake and end up squirming in an awkward conversation because they can win the argument 8/ -shrug-

About the only thing Ive been told about the spelling of any of my usernames was that "Silhouette" is a not-so-commonly used word and thus, people have had issues trying to spell it. But thats not really a "problem" that cant be fixed. C:

As for character names, my favorites of mine are a toss up between simple and complex ones. Like, "May" is one of my favorites (one of my favorite chars too but thats beyond the point). Simple at a glance yet it holds signifigance/meaning, to me at least, in multiple ways. Anyone who dosent know me that well probably wont know where it came from/what it pertains to for me.

Candela is another favorite name. Either its spanish or its a translator-screwup that I just like the sound of. LOL :3

And lastly Silhouette. Its both my username and the name of a character I have and I simply like the word itself. :3

Offline liontamer1

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 13
  • I wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »
I actually have a lot of names. Some of the names mean nothing, so I just make up a meaning and everybody goes with it. It doesn't bother me.

-Taavi (ta-vi)
-Deja (De-sha)
-Errom (Er-rom)
-Jaavie (Ja-v)
-Veta (Pronounced as spellt)

And quite a few others.
\
Take me, I am not afraid

-Obsidian

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 10:03:46 pm »
I totally agree. I've three wolf characters (though not on FH) that are all brothers. Their names are Ravyn, Craux and Jaqdaw. Y'see? All names of bird species, but spelled differently. ;)

Offline brodylove

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 07:43:40 pm »
Well, once I made a character named Valerie, and someone decided to harrass me about it, and then report me for it. I was SO shocked, I sat there, in the same spot, without talking or moving, in FH and in real life, for a good couple minutes.

I laso have a weird name. I have no idea where I got it but it's Exan, Exean, and Xan. I don't even know what they mean, or if it is a word in a different language.

Offline Scyth3

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • 'Erryday I'm snooring
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 09:22:40 am »
I also have a LOT weird and different names. Usually I just make them myself, and make sure that no one else doesn't have a name that might be too similar to mine. For example Xephaxhus and Ilravakti. Dunno where did I get the idea of the names, but I like them. And sometimes I might use names from games, and again I try to make sure that no one has that same name. Some people really freak out sometimes if they see the same name, even tho it's from game and is public etc.. But, I do the names myself. And it really pisses of if someone decides to copy those names JUST because they "sound so nice" -.- Ugh.. But aye. U all get my point.