Author Topic: Should Age really matter? (opinions please)  (Read 14884 times)

Offline Berrymutt

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Huge Critical Role nerd
    • Berrymutt
    • berrymuttbb
    • Berrymutt
    • NickBerrymutt
    • View Profile
Re: Should Age really matter? (opinions please)
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:01 pm »
Age should not matter, I just turned Twentysix in February and I have a few friends who are older than me that play FeralHeart. I get shut out alot and I am often called A creep or A Pedofile.

It really hurts me too :/.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 02:54:56 pm by BlackBerry/Berrymutt »

Avatar made by Ziboe. Signature Made By DOG-BOWL On DeviantArt.
Discord: Berrymutt#0225
Twitch: Berrymutt
Download My Presets

Offline Vespian

• An Unsightly Beast
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 242
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2013, 04:56:34 pm »
Please no not necro-trend old trends such as these. For this trend hasn't been posted for over a year until now. Try to avoid doing this in the future. But I do agree with you, age matters not to me. As long as individuals are mature and bestow common sense, I will get along with them just fine.
gone

Offline 17Cynder

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 12:27:22 am »
I myself am eleven, but I usually feel people would judge me for it. I really don't care what age people are, as long as they treat me well, and as they did before the knew my age, as you could say.

So, any age works for me.

Offline Raxoremys

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 05:14:19 am »
I myself am eighteen, and am usually the eldest in whatever group I join. Most of the people I know personally who play are between the ages of 16 and 20, but of course that's just my little niche of friends. The youngest person I ever met on here was seven(and boy, did they act like it), but of course I've met people several years younger than me who are just as mature as I am, with equal "literacy" skills.

As far as I'm concerned age isn't too important, as long as the person in question follows the rules and respects their fellow members & mods. This is a great place for meeting new friends of all ages, and I like that fact. Everyone's got their own little place where they fit in.

That being said, it is very sad when some members discriminate against others because of their age. If it's an issue of literacy, it may just be a matter of what people prefer to RP with. But when it's purely about age, and someone is rejected for being too young or old, that's really not so nice. Luckily I'm still within the average age bracket of FH players and I've never really encountered anyone like that. But it's only a matter of time... *spooky fingers*

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2013, 05:27:23 am »
I'm usually pulled away from telling others my age because of this issue!
Some people think FH is 13+ too, which is annoying. I'm only 11, and I think people should think for a second.
Does age really matter most of the time? Not really. However, it does matter in some cases I recognize, but in Feralheart as long as the people respect and understand how to act, fine by me with their age.
I even have a friend that's 9 - I thought she was 13 for a second. When she told me I was pretty shocked in a way. She told me people judged her for her age.
I'm pretty sick of that. 23 or 26 are good ages to be at actually, and you're pretty young when you're at that age as an adult. I see that, and I don't think people should judge people's age just because they could be immature, but really, you barely even know them.
Why assume so fast, I think of it. True, age is just a number. I don't think people should offend people with it and jump to conclusions that the older person is "pedo" or anything like that. :/
Hurr, I'm going back to reading my sister's letter now.

Offline Silhouette

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:30 am »
I'll be honest here (and odds are people are not going to like it. Oh well)

At 19 I sit roughly in the center of the age range of the people I've come to know on this game. The youngest was 11, the eldest is 30.

I feel like age does matter, in some circumstances at least. Now as Hugrf said, the game is 13 +. Personally? I think that is /great./ Now, yes, age limits did suck when I was younger but that was simply because I didn't see the point when I thought I was so much more "mature" than most of my peers. I'd blindly rant "not fair, not fair not fair!" until I was blue in the face. (speaking figuratively, mind you).

Now that Im older, I understand why age limits are set in place. It forces people to take responsibility for their behavior and I feel like 13 is a good age for this. Yes, most people would call  13 year olds "kids" and yes they're minors still in a lot of countries. But, the difference between a 13 year old, and say a 9 year old is that 13 is an age I think many can agree /should/ know the difference between right and wrong by then. You break a huge rule, you're warned, you do it again you get a huge ban, and you're not "let off the hook" because "you're just a little kid who didn't know any better." You're not a little kid anymore. You're 13. You should know by now. Yes, some 13 year olds are a little behind in the maturity power curve and some are further ahead but in the end, you being the one exception against the average does not matter when the mass majority aren't capable of handling themselves responsibly until that age. [and sometimes not until well after that!]

I'm sorry its a sad truth, no matter how "advanced, strong, mature, etc" you will always be forced to be looked as the average when viewed on a large scale/in a large population. Its easier to manage that way, and so people will almost always go about it that way and in the long-run, its usually better for everyone. Everyone else had to wait the same number of years to break that age limit, you don't get a free pass.

I've never felt like the internet was made for children, except for the specifically "child oriented" websites that parents should even still should be actively monitoring [or using time or computer parental controls to do so for them when they cant monitor them themselves] while they're online. Yes its a great resource. Yes it can be educational but children-children need to stick to children-children oriented games. That's what they're made for.

I try to find players closer to my age [I am 19] to talk to. Adults talk about adult things. No, I don't mean obscene things, I simply mean things that a child has little to no experience with. Jobs, work, cars, raising children, etc. A little puppy-love elementary or middle school boyfriend/girlfriend break up seems extremely.... uhh whats the word? "childish" compared to those kinds of things. Thats not to say I don't have my moments where I act like a total goofball but I think child drama, young teenage drama, and adult drama needs some thick lines drawn between them because those divisions do exist. A moving away best friend at school [child], a "breakup" [like, a non-serious "relationship" between younger teenagers] and a divorce [adult] are all very serious issues to the person experiencing them but I think we can all agree that the most serious and more easily sympathized with by a fellow adult is going to be the divorce and that makes the former two "problems" from the child and younger teenager seem extremely trivial despite all three of them being difficult to deal with.

This is not to say that I have anything directly against any younger players.I will and do treat them with respect with the expectation of receiving the same but I will stand my ground on my opinions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:34:07 pm by Silhouette »

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 11:58:11 pm »
I always stress to people I meet, I couldn't care less about your age or gender. To me, a person, is a person. If you are here to have fun and just be a life-of-the-party, I do not care. I look for maturity and use of common knowledge, that's all. I've played with an 11-year-old who was able to out-talk myself. He immediately earned more than my respect in meeting him and occasionally playing games together.   

Vice versa to the occasional 30+ aged people I met who who act more childish than the little boy over the most ridiculous subjects.

In the end, it doesn't matter how old you are, as long as you know how to behave around others and keep yourself in check, if needed be.
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline Riku.

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 11
  • hella gay
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 11:08:44 pm »
I joined FH when I was 11 now I am 13. Age doesn't matter to me nor anyone I know, But a few people in Gen where talking on about OH U HAVE TU B 13 I am like nope this is a family friendly game.
i'm kat and i have an undying love for kingdom hearts & danganronpa. i don't even play fh anymore lmao

Offline PewdieCry9433

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 12:18:14 am »
 I am 11, turning 12 in a month. I think it's wrong to discriminate against age; I could care less if your 28 as long as your nice and use proper grammar, Although I'm Russian and I don't have perfect English I do feel that having a good positive attitude is the only thing that matters   :-)

Offline duna the killer

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 35
  • Vacationing 28th - 4th, You all are amazing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:02 am »
As an 18 year old, I honestly don't mind age, as long is it doesn't get out of hand. But on an average day, nothing going wrong, I would rp with a 10 year old! But if they start yelling and screaming and stuff, I won't rp with them. But as long as they keep their temper out of the game, I will rp with them until once of us has to go for some reason.