Author Topic: Game Installer + Suggested Downloads?  (Read 2771 times)

Offline XeekyXeek

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • Mystery-Amalgamate
    • View Profile
Game Installer + Suggested Downloads?
« on: February 18, 2016, 06:54:34 pm »
So I've been thinking about this for a while...

There seems to be consistent complications with how other people see additional markings and items (Mass Markings, PAWSOME items, etc.), and I try as often as I can--when people don't see my character designs properly--to encourage others to download the most recent Marking & Item packs.

I was thinking; on the download page. Could it possibly be modified to have the main installation, and then below it under something like "Suggested Downloads" could be the links for the latest Legendary Items and Legendary Markings packs? Perhaps include installation instructions in case the files don't have any.

That way everyone would see the proper designs from the start, and not see a bubble when someone's wearing cannons on their back!

Hope this is considered!
  ;)

Offline Hakumi

• ✩ Just A Virtuous Smol ✩
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 130
  • A Smol & Helpful Floof ~
    • leanim3fr3akzoid
    • LeAnim3Fr3akzoid
    • View Profile
Re: Game Installer + Suggested Downloads?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:00:01 pm »
Sounds like an interesting idea no doubt. Can help those that don't know about the items and markings ( included the lastest ones ) and for those that wanted to be up to date and don't know how to properly install said markings / items some bit of guidance. . . . .
Nice ^^

Keep on traveling across this road called 'Life.'

Discord: Haku - Haku#74O7

Offline XeekyXeek

• Curious Wanderer
    • Mystery-Amalgamate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:15:45 pm »
Sounds like an interesting idea no doubt. Can help those that don't know about the items and markings ( included the lastest ones ) and for those that wanted to be up to date and don't know how to properly install said markings / items some bit of guidance. . . . .
Nice ^^
Exactly! <3

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 08:02:49 pm »
This truly is a nice idea, but I believe the reason this isn't do-able is for the same reason as the staff can't add in maps (even if they were ones that would show up in the Cape) to the downloads, or presets. And I'm sure this has come up before.

I'm not sure the staff can tamper with the download for one, but I could be wrong.

It's just simply too much as well. It'd be near impossible to find every marking and every item that users have made, just to put them into the download. And everytime someone made a new marking/item pack, people would have to redownload the game.

Not to mention, in the long run, even if not every little marking and item people made were incorporated into the download, newer players would still have to figure out how to download those packs themselves. Everything would eventually come full circle.

This is a neat idea though, and definitely something to get the gears going. Thank you for for sharing your idea.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:08:57 pm by .Edolicious. »
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline XeekyXeek

• Curious Wanderer
    • Mystery-Amalgamate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 08:09:50 pm »
This truly is a nice idea, but I believe the reason this isn't do-able is for the same reason as the staff can't add in maps (even if they were ones that would show up in the Cape) to the downloads, or presets.

I'm not sure the staff can tamper with the download for one, but I could be wrong.

It's just simply too much as well. It'd be near impossible to find every marking and every item that someone has made, just to put it into the download. And everytime someone made a new marking/item pack, people would have to redownload the game.

Not to mention, in the long run, even if not every little marking and item people made were incorporated into the download, newer players would still have to figure out how to download those packs themselves. Everything would eventually come full circle.

This is a neat idea though, and definitely something to get the gears going. Thank you for sharing.

I wasnt talking about modifying the source code. I meant include the Item/Marking packs as separate downloads.
I'm not an idiot, I know Kovu left this place for dead a long while ago; I specifically mentioned the download page for this reason because I know they can't get the source code.

Did you read my entire post...?

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 08:14:51 pm »
Quote from: Fel
I wasnt talking about modifying the source code. I meant include the Item/Marking packs as separate downloads.
I'm not an idiot, I know Kovu left this place for dead a long while ago; I specifically mentioned the download page for this reason because I know they can't get the source code.

I misunderstood the one part. I thought you meant to have the items and markings automatically downloaded when you downloaded the game.

Thank you for the prompt. I understand what you mean now.
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline XeekyXeek

• Curious Wanderer
    • Mystery-Amalgamate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:16:08 pm »
Quote from: Fel

I misunderstood the one part. I thought you meant to have the items and markings automatically downloaded when you downloaded the game.

Thank you for the prompt. I understand what you mean now.
Good, good. Glad that's cleared up. uwu;

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:46 pm »
That does sound like a splendid idea. 'Twould definitely help a lot of floofs who are looking f'er the latest item/marking packs. I especially like the idea f'er the extra instructions. Although most downloads do 'ave instructions included, it seems like a lot of floofs don't take the time to read and follow them. >v<

Anywho, great idea, and I hope the staff considers it. ;)

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 08:24:11 pm »
This is a very interesting idea, though it may become tricky when new versions of popular downloads are released. As the popular markings/item packs are updated, the links would have to be updated as well, which may become a bit hard to keep track of. In addition to this, it's possible that we would need permission from the owners of the marking/item packs in order to provide a link to them on the official website. As a few users above have mentioned, the users who download the markings/item packs would still need to know how to download those modifications, and while providing an "official" platform for them to download these from, I'm not sure how significant a difference it would make. There seem to be quite a few threads that come and go that discuss popular/favorite markings and item packs, not to mention various advertisements for these packs, and the more popular packs don't appear to be all that difficult for new users to find. Most of the popular markings/item packs that I've seen do include instructions of some sort, so unless a fluff is having a bit of trouble figuring out where or how things are supposed to be moved, they do a pretty fair job explaining this. Perhaps it's a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I also feel like it may look like we're picking and choosing which markings packs are better than others? Of course, I don't think this would be the case, but it may do well to take it into consideration, and advertising specifics might discourage users from downloading other ones.

Very cute idea, and I like how you're thinking, but this is only my opinion on this. I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks. <3
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:31:06 pm by warriorstrike »

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Preach

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 09:56:17 pm »
That's something worth for! I like it alot! I hope the staff consider this.