Author Topic: The FH is Dying Bandwagon  (Read 9868 times)

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: The FH is Dying Bandwagon
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 01:04:33 am »
I'm not actually happy to hear the term 'FH is Dying' considering the game itself has evolved so much in the past few years. BUT, you're going to experience a user change no matter where you go. During certain times of year the user count will rise or fall. Usually around the middle of the school year that number drops due to mid-terms etc. It's not that much of a surprise.
There's nothing we can do about people having lives outside of the game, and as Sura mentioned, the numbers haven't changed all that much. It really all depends on what day/when you log in. Older users may log in when the younger base of the users are in school etc and things may seem empty, but you also have to consider time zones.

Though what you say is true, user online count does become off balance at certain times of years (due to school terms and what you mentioned basically), but when you base this off all the activity you have seen and witnessed throughout your time (for me, since mid 2012 perhaps?), you do notice that there isn't a certain hype you'd see in the 'good old days'. Maybe it's time for a change, a change that will encourage users to enjoy themselves more, instead of hosting a constant routine of the same events (that are mostly hosted on the forum and external sites). All though they are nice, and very much appreicated, it's not fun to settle on one thing and just have that going just for the sake of haivng some sort of entertainment going on.

I am aware that Staff have lives too, but when you say 'yes' to training and even becoming a staff member, you're taking on the duties it holds. Staff will have entrusted you, and all the dedication and good abilities you have provided and shown to FH. You have devoted your free time to 'volunteering' (not really working, as it's not a paid job) on Feral Heart. Sure, not all of your free time, like you said, they're not robots, I and a lot of others respect that. After all, past and current staff were left with a game that it's creator practically dumped on them.

However, if staff want to do good by FH's name, an prevent people from thinking that FH is 'dying', then this is what I honestly encourage them to do. They've done things like; hosting movies, MOTs, preset contests, parties... but it's all recurring and repetitive. Users are getting bored. It's good to keep, and you can change themes all the time, but it would be nice for a twist, or a bigger challenge. But why not introduce something new? Or maybe if they don't have time to do that, advertise FH through other medias like I've mentioned here and do something about increasing members. Sure, they may think they're doing that now, by changing things (which is appreciated, a lot) but a lot of it is current users making more accounts for themselves. I do not have evidence to prove this, though it doesn't take an idiot to see that numbers aren't rising in terms of online activity. I'm not saying that this should have to be done, but users are clearly unhappy and want to see more people playing this game.

Yes, they have also created a patch, I contributed to that too. I'm not trying to bash anyone when saying this but the base line is done now. The big reveal of being able to create a patch has been done. Now it's time welcome your users into your arms and take their ideas into account for future patches. Let them provide you and inspire you to tailor the next patch. This is a game they a whole community is playing, not just them. I'm not trying to make things sound like Staff are selfish either, I'm just suggesting that they should do this in future. I know many users can agree with me when I say that they want their ideas to be included a lot too, instead of secretly.

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 05:50:06 am »

I’m glad you brought this up. Too many people are focusing in on the online indicator to determine how they feel about FeralHeart. It’s just like you said: they’re using it to determine if they think the game is dying. I think we can all agree here that the game isn’t dying. We can all agree that the number of players online at a time is never consistent. It has never been.

I took it upon myself to go to a website called www.web.archive.org in order to expand on that screenshot you included with the number of users online. What I did was I went through the many “snapshots” that have been taken of the FeralHeart homepage throughout the years. If you go to The WayBack Machine and type in the FeralHeart homepage, you will notice that there are 238 times this site has been preserved by it. I went through them all, and instead got a number of 227 snapshots due to the times the site was offline and didn’t show a number, the snapshots didn’t work, or there was no online indicator (such as the beginning in January 2011). And through doing that, I decided to put together some graphs for you all.

Now I might’ve gone a little bit overboard with this with the graphs, but it’s the first time in a while that I’ve gotten to make any sort of chart and for some reason I’m excited about that.

These first two charts are not going to be a very accurate way of measuring our number of users online throughout all of FeralHeart’s history as this was a scattered selection because the data I collected was from random times that the site was snapshotted and is not an everyday collected value of the max number of users online. Because of this, there are going to be hundreds of key values missing which could alter the charts very dramatically. But, considering that, notice that is it is still moments of time where the number of users online was recorded and will help show some of the people that think FeralHeart used to be astronomically more populated that there hasn't been much of a difference.

My first chart example (left) shows my calculated average number of users that were online FeralHeart per year. As you can see, we did have a drop in 2016 but the 2016 value is very close to the 2011 value. The years 2013-2015 are quite similar.  According to the averages, we had a spike of activity in 2012 which makes sense because it was the first year after FeralHeart was released and there was more of an outreach by then.

My second chart example (right) shows the maximum number of users that were online per year. Now, this data is a little bit all over the chart and the values aren’t that much different in my opinion. Once again, there was a drop in 2016. But, keep in mind that there was also the update which brought the most people online this site that we’ve ever had. And a reminder that these numbers are not near as accurate as they could be.

Now, the last chart example is easily accessible on the forums by finding the FeralHeart Statistics Center. The data here is also much more accurate than the previous examples. This one shows the most online on the FeralHeart site ever each year. It is also separable by month but I figured that would be excessive.

It is important to note that the average number of people online per day according to the FH Stats is around 158 and we get 58,459 page views a day. In my opinion, that is a pretty good number. However I feel like it’s important to look at what several users are concerned about as well. There isn’t as much discussion going on in game is there used to be. One could argue that there is less activity because there is less people involving themselves in game activities or losing interest. Like Bawfle said,
But you must agree that you don't see people turning up and involving themselves as much as they used to before? Or maybe how the number of users including themselves in these events aren't increasing? If not then maybe not enough attention is being made in terms of user activity. As said before, the game has changed a lot since 2011/2012. A lot of users were new, and a lot more Roleplays were about, people didn't need continuous events, and the majority of those events are held on the forum or external websites. People are coming, and people are going, but I see a lot of users on a daily basis that have been here since probably the beginning, who then see other users who are just the same as them. A year or so ago, user online activity would peak up to the 500's-600's. Don't you think users are getting a little bored maybe? Could this be the reason users are saying that Feral Heart is "dying"?

I think many of her suggestions are valid. I, just as much as any other user, enjoy the FeralHeart Movie Nights more than anything! They're an exciting way to get together with the community and participate in something as a whole. They are activities that seem to be bringing us together in a very outstanding way. And as for coming up with other activities, I'm not sure what we could do myself. But, I think we should look to the community for that. Find out what they would want to do together as a community! I'm sure there are several people who would have some ideas to throw at us. With FeralHeart we have rather limited resources but there are probably still ideas out there.

And this brings me to the closing part of my post. I hope what I provided will be beneficial in some way in reassuring some people, or helping people draw their own conclusions before they claim FeralHeart is dying. As I've said in other posts like this, FeralHeart will continue to live on because of the registration coming back and because of upcoming future changes we may have. I don't think going anywhere anytime soon but I do think that listening to the community for future updates and ideas for what to do should be considered.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 04:32:46 am by Morgra »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 04:07:22 pm »
It is important to note that the average number of people online per day according to the FH Stats is around 158 and we get 58,459 page views a day. In my opinion, that is a pretty good number. However I feel like it’s important to look at what several users are concerned about as well. There isn’t as much discussion going on in game is there used to be. One could argue that there is less activity because there is less people involving themselves in game activities or losing interest. Like Bawfle said,

Before everyone gets excited, I just wanted to note that the increase of forum activity in 2016 is majorly to do with all the users and visitors logging in, in the Summer, to view the new downloads of FH and the patch. Everyone would have landed here on the forums to find out what was going on. Thank you, Magora, for providing these statistics.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 04:10:36 pm by Bawfle »

Offline xXQueenXx

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • Sippin tea
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 05:21:23 pm »

Before everyone gets excited, I just wanted to note that the increase of forum activity in 2016 is majorly to do with all the users and visitors logging in, in the Summer, to view the new downloads of FH and the patch. Everyone would have landed here on the forums to find out what was going on. Thank you, Magora, for providing these statistics.
I was going to mention this ^ and the fact that IF there were 400+ people playing FH during 2016/2017 it would probably be a peak hour on a GOOD day.  What Bawfle mentioned about increasing active member numbers are good ideas!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:23:03 pm by xXQueenXx »

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 05:36:18 pm »
i noticed a small pick up in levels since registration opened but the newcomers don't always stay for a long time.  If players want something to happen in game, make it happen. 
(What's the worst that could happen?)
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 04:08:21 am »
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts about this.

With out a doubt there's a number of things that could indeed be contributing to this notion that the game is "dying"

Change is one of those biggest things...

I think Kynvuu brought up an interesting point as well in that:

I think they also seem to forget that the people playing FH here in 2017 aren't exactly the same people that were playing back in 2011.

A few years can really change a person and within these years that have passed a number of the original population have aged considerably and moved into new chapters of their lives (be it elementary school to high school, college, and or career etc) No one is expected to stay the same and always come back to Feral Heart always. Some of us linger around longer than others but truth be told that at some point we all go our own ways and move on.

I do believe that this is what happened to the majority of the old users. Once the community patch came it also makes sense that some of the last remaining old users left because there was nothing much left of their old times to hang on to (if that makes any sense). For some nostalgia plays a huge role in sticking around and coming back.

On the other hand, when you read into it more, is it honestly that good that the FH popularity hasn't increased much since 2011/2012 as you so proved? I am aware that people leave, and people come to 'replace' the hole of those who do leave, but why are people saying Feral Heart isn't as 'great' as it used to be?

While it's not great that its popularity hasn't increased much since 2011/2012 it is good to see that the population of users is at least steady and stable. I would be more concerned if the population was drastically falling while not gaining any new members because then in that case we can safely assume that the community is dying. However for a game that was abandoned by its creator with no hope of a source code, hasn't been truly updated or fixed and has encountered so many issues now with extra log in screens etc, it's quite the notable feat to see it still surviving without much of a dent in overall average user flow.

As for people saying it isn't as great as it used to be, nothing much has truly changed since 2011/2012. I believe it's that most know that the creator left and left us without a source code and so it means there's no chance for anything more than what we already have. That childish imagination for fun new potential content is dead. I will admit that back in early 2012 that was a reason why I initially quit. I've had the unfortunate luck of being a part of so called "doomed" communities which were abandoned by their creator, so I only imagined the same fate for Feral Heart... however I returned later that year because there was something different about this community. Unlike these other communities Feral Heart has a staff team that still makes themselves available to the community for both leisure & assistance. Feral Heart also still has an active server master managing the site and game... these are thing that those other communities lacked and so give Feral Heart an advantage.

As long as the server is running and staff are around to maintain the game I don't see it as ever dying. People may go but there will always be new "blood" to fill their place. If anything FH is just stable, and sure it may not be as exciting as people gushing in, it's better than the game dying.

Don't get me wrong, it's lovely to see that Movie Nights are still being held, and that lovely 'official' Feral Heart events are still about such as; staff hosted parties, MOTS, preset contests and contests outside of Feral Heart. But you must agree that you don't see people turning up and involving themselves as much as they used to before? Or maybe how the number of users including themselves in these events aren't increasing?

It's understandable that after years of hosting particular contests some contests may lose some popularity. I can genuinely say that the only place I see this as an issue is the seasonal Preset Contest. This year has seen a bit less submissions. There is still great interest but less people actually submitting. For this reason myself and the other fellow staff tried doing something a little different for the Autumn Preset Contest by asking the community to vote on a theme. The voting went well however even after a theme was selected by the majority of voters there was still a lack of substantial submissions. In this case I believe there's more to do with the fact that our rewards system is a bit broken due to the site still needing updates and fixes on the old badge/awards section. Currently the preset contest allows for 3 winners but only the 1st Place Winner gets a tangible prize... which at this time may feel a bit lacking for contestants. This however is something that the entire staff team is and has been aware of and are currently working on fixing. In the meantime the staff has discussed pushing back preset contests in place of a new fresher contest (of which we will not disclose yet since we'd much like to surprise the community).

Point is though that the staff isn't blind. We can see trends and we do pay close attention to what the community is telling us be it through straight forward criticism or subtle changes in behavior. The users on the staff team wouldn't be a part of the team if they didn't care enough to pay such close attention to the community's wants or needs.

Another thing to take into account is that we are very limited on active staff. In the past things were easier when we had more staff who could manage all the FH media from DA to Tumblr etc and effectively advertise such events both on sites and in game. A small team can only manage so much. While the amount of people joining events or contests isn't booming, like the game, it's stable. While we have enough interest to show that people still care, we will continue to do our very best to deliver on those things faithfully.

However, I am online in-game almost every day for reasons. I see more complaints about how people do not like the changes than people who do. Sure, not everyone will like the same thing, and it's possible that you and others might only see them as ungrateful. But have you taken notice on how a lot of users are dropping Feral Heart because they're not happy any more? Instead of telling people most of the time how Staff had put a lot of time and effort into the patch, as soon as they say that they understand that, I just ask them what they want to see and what changes they do not like. Now, I'm not saying focus your future ideas based on those who don't like the changes very much, but to maybe listen and learn.

I agree with you 100% on this.

However, keep in mind that when the patch was made we had no way of knowing how it would be received. We all knew we had the best intentions and we all tried to imagine what users may think but in the end it was a learning experience. This initial community patch was just the beginning of future planned patches. By no means is this patch the solid fate of the FH public maps. When the team worked on these maps there were a lot of things discussed, you should know yourself that not all of the staff agreed to certain aspects of these maps. Just because we are all on a single team doesn't mean we all think the same and agree upon something. In the end certain individuals finalized the patch maps and their overall design, most often the designs were for practicality and to improve game performance.

Those left on the current team pay close attention to the community's wants and needs... and we have taken note of many things. We plan to make better upon what we've learned from this experience I guarantee you that.

The community will have a part in the next community patch. All the threads and complaints haven't fallen on deaf ears.

How about public advertising? Maybe FH could have it's own YouTube Channel? A place where you can post an advertisement of Feral-Heart, maybe update the main FH game advertisement each patch. It would sure grab a lot of gamer attention out there. A lot of games have their own YouTube Channel. This Shouldn't be a palce for sillyness, but a place for professionally made videos. Maybe release teasers of what's to come game wise. No voices, but some sweet music from the game, as well as text. A lot of games have high quality mics and recording stuffs, paid voices etc.. so it'd be wise not to use voice. Could end up sounding trashy. If you even wanted, upload Podcasts that you record. This would allow users to get to know you more, trust you more. Make a playlist on that channel, even, called 'podcasts'. Maybe name each one "Feral Heart Staff Podcast - Staff Member 1, Staff Member 2, Staff Member 3... and so on. Take advantage of other game forums if they permit advertisements for other games. Try to increase the popularity instead of settling with what users you have registered?

I distinctly spoke to Red about that sometime during our many random calls or chats. In this day and age of social media a Feral Heart Official YouTube would be wonderful.

The only problem is management and time. We have a small team already pouring itself over on DA, Tumblr, the FH forum, and game. If something like this was to even be made we'd need to first have everything else settled from site work etc. Yes a Feral Heart YouTube would be fun and great for advertising, but as of right now, with out limited team we are trying to focus on priorities.

Again thank you all for the feedback

Morgra those grafts are wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to put all that together. I'm sorry if I haven't responded to every point made...

There's just so much that can be said.

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:06:09 pm »
Quote from: Lord Suragaha
As long as the server is running and staff are around to maintain the game I don't see it as ever dying. People may go but there will always be new "blood" to fill their place. If anything FH is just stable, and sure it may not be as exciting as people gushing in, it's better than the game dying.

I did read through your whole response, which holds some valid points, and I don't mean to be pushy on the subject and pinpoint it out of your entire post, but I really think the issue needs to be addressed as more and more users are noticing this issue. It may not be my place, but nowadays I see very few staffers around the game itself, other than the same two Staff members in-game and the same two plus one maybe two other Staff mostly active on the forum,  and I'm bringing this up because it has bothered me for quite some time. I'm not saying they're never on, but definitely rarely. It has come to the that people have seen Raz on more than some others. I don't mean to speak for him, and Raz please feel free to correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but his custom title is The Janitor, and to contact other staff and if necessary it will escalate to him. Has inactivity become that much of a problem? That may be due to the fact that I'm not on at the same time, but I've heard and seen other people say and see the same. There's not a lot of staff in-game so much, I only see Nynx and Kiki making an effort in that area, and a lot of other users I'm sure can agree or confirm this.

Certain Staff like Ally and Shallow are gone at months at a time, and don't give notice to anyone? This is an Administrator and a Global Moderator, and it really seems like they clearly do not have the time anymore to manage FH. Other Staff, other than Nynx and Kiki, I only see them active on the Forums, but close to no activity in-game. While I'm sure those who are inactive have good reason, they could at the very least give notice to let the community know they're going to be absent for a while? These staff members could at least have the decency to let people know they're going to be inactive. Some users feel like the staff have abandoned them, because they dropped off the face of FH with no notice, and even though we know that's not true, surely it says something about the perspective of the players?

Again, not trying to come off as pushy or looking to start an argument, and I hopefully didn't come off that way, but I think many can agree and speak up about it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:27:21 pm by Edolicious »
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Offline Bawfle

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:24 pm »
Thank you for responding, Sura. You make a lot of great points.

I think they also seem to forget that the people playing FH here in 2017 aren't exactly the same people that were playing back in 2011.

A few years can really change a person and within these years that have passed a number of the original population have aged considerably and moved into new chapters of their lives (be it elementary school to high school, college, and or career etc) No one is expected to stay the same and always come back to Feral Heart always. Some of us linger around longer than others but truth be told that at some point we all go our own ways and move on.

Although this is true, no one is expected to stay the same. As well as how old users are probably not around anymore for those reasons you mentioned. However, users are joining Feral Heart who were pretty much the same as those back in 2011/2012. The cycle is constant, they come in generations? You could say??

It's understandable that after years of hosting particular contests some contests may lose some popularity. I can genuinely say that the only place I see this as an issue is the seasonal Preset Contest. This year has seen a bit less submissions. There is still great interest but less people actually submitting. For this reason myself and the other fellow staff tried doing something a little different for the Autumn Preset Contest by asking the community to vote on a theme. The voting went well however even after a theme was selected by the majority of voters there was still a lack of substantial submissions. In this case I believe there's more to do with the fact that our rewards system is a bit broken due to the site still needing updates and fixes on the old badge/awards section. Currently the preset contest allows for 3 winners but only the 1st Place Winner gets a tangible prize... which at this time may feel a bit lacking for contestants. This however is something that the entire staff team is and has been aware of and are currently working on fixing. In the meantime the staff has discussed pushing back preset contests in place of a new fresher contest (of which we will not disclose yet since we'd much like to surprise the community).

I understand completely that FH is low on staff, and there are many people who meet the requirements needed of a Mod (as Nynx states in this thread). I also know nothing can be done about it at current time, as Ally is the only one 'trained' to train Mods out of you and her, and you still need to be trained on how to train mods. As a former Staff member myself, I am aware of this, and how Moderators can only answer questions related to the topic of what a MiT is learning. Admins are the only ones who can truly train new recruits. Red trained Allegra, and Allegra was treated like an intern (as in, she always had help with things hands on if you know what I mean?). But now it's your turn, and nothing will improve unless something is done about Staff activity/Staff recruitments.

As for pushing the Preset contes back, I personally don't think the Staff should? Sure, maybe make it less regular if you feel it's getting too unsuccessful, but maybe you don't need to at the same time. I think Staff should improve prizes, as they're what people are truly after, they should improve how the preset contest works. The new feature of asking what people want to see/do is great, it's wonderful that the community is being invited/included in this kinda stuff. With Prizes, maybe it would grab more attention if more prizes were involved. For example, a preset for a preset, maybe if someone wants to win the chanse of winning their character a preset from a good preset maker, then maybe people will join in more. 45 DA points, I think is what they offer, it's not much at all for probably hours worth of effort. As well as art. I'm not trying to sound lame about this, but people want art from good and talented artists.

However, back to the events, Staff should keep adding contests instead of replacing. When you add, there's a range of activities for multiple users to do, and pick what they're interested. Replacing activities is just rather lazy? Instead of a repetitive Seasonal Preset Contest, how about a different event for every season? Plan these things while current events are going on. Maybe plan these events so people aren't expecting them? Like Bam, Preset contest, Bam, Caracter creation screen contest?, Bam, another contest.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:39:58 pm by Bawfle »

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:30 pm »
I think it's exceptionally important to bring up something that Edo said. The staff do a lot for us and a lot of members look up to them, go to them when they are feeling down or just need help with something. But other than Kiki and Nynx, I feel that staff activity in-game is lacking. There are a countless number of users who never even visit the forums and feel that their opinions aren't being heard. They feel as though some of the staff have abandoned them.

This is where I feel Notice of Absence threads should be required of staff if they plan on leaving for more than a week. There's no need to go into detail about why they will be absent, but the community needs to know. Simply an 'I'll be absent from the forums and in-game for a couple weeks, please direct any PMs or concerns to other staff members.' Something like that? It's informative without involving the community in the staff member's personal business, know what I mean? I mean, even if a staff member can't or doesn't have time to post a notice of absence, I'm sure another staff member could do it for them, that way the community gets the message.

I'd also like to point out that I've seen Razmirz in-game far more often than some staff members who are active. This surprises me, to be honest, as his status clearly states that he is only to be contacted as last resort when issues arise. If he's in-game moderating, then that kinda points out how severe staff activity is lacking in-game. He hosts the server and makes the game run smoothly, that is his priority with FH.

I'm not staff, I've never been staff, but I do realize there are certain responsibilities and duties that staff members must perform and keeping the community in the dark is certainly unbecoming.

Now, onto contests and events! This topic seems to arise often when we think of 'FH dying'. At least that's how it appears on this thread. I know that the preset contest certainly hasn't gotten much attention lately, and it's assuring to know that the staff realize it may be because of the quality of prizes. Although, I don't believe that temporarily retiring the preset contest is a plausible solution, especially considering there are a number of avid preset makers in the community. Presets are art, some take hours, even days to make, and people enjoy doing it! I agree with Buffy in that prizes should be much greater in quality so that the regular preset maker who sells or does commissions feels like they're getting something for their time and effort. And I absolutely agree with her in that making more events and contests available to the community would keep things rolling and would give members more to do and participate in.

Maybe for contests with art prizes, take volunteers to provide a prize to a contest winner. Just people from the community who could take some of the stress of providing good quality prizes off the few staff members we have~

Maybe create a nice To-Do list available to all staff members, that way if anyone has some free time, they could give back to the community in some way or another.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 05:26:22 pm by Bloo. »

You are amazing <3

AshesRemain

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:57 pm »
I think Edo is absolutely right.

The very backbone of this game is the staff team. They are responsible for keeping this game clean and appropriate for users of all ages. However, with the lack of active staff (Save for Nynx and Kiki, bless their souls) the backbone is weakening. People are indeed starting to talk about the lack of staff, and some thinking they now have the freedom to get away with anything they want because "Staff aren't doing their jobs." Reports help yes, but even they can only go so far. With staff not being as active as they could be, reporting is proving to be more of a bad alternative, especially since there are more reports than actual action being taken and it's leaving other users thinking that it's ok to break the rules, and it's starting to influence other players. So why not have a whole team of active, strong staff that can be online at the hours when it's needed most to take care of the issue there and then?

I also definitely agree that staff who need to be gone for any extended period of time should at least leave a notice. It's highly unfair to the rest of us when they vanish. I know they have lives of their own, and they don't have to say everything that goes on in their personal life, but what has already been said, a simple "I'm not going to be around for awhile for personal reasons, please take any issues you may have to other staff." would suffice. We would much rather be reassured that way than to just have a staff vanish.

As for the contests, I also agree that preset contests shouldn't be pushed back as many people enjoy that contest. But better prizes may be a way to get more people to compete.

And definitely have a better selection of contests. If I remember correctly, back in the older days of FH, there were quite a few different contests (correct me if I'm wrong) and if that's true, why not bring some of those back? Just have a more mixed selection on this stuff. It would be a nice fresh thing for the game and forums and may draw more people in the long run.

Basically I think the last three people have extremely valid points as well as you did Sura. Yes things are going to be hard in the upcoming months, but why not finally move to make a change? A change that FH so desperately needs?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:30:49 pm by AshesRemain »