Author Topic: How much Character Planning do You do?  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
How much Character Planning do You do?
« on: September 11, 2014, 08:44:13 pm »
Another obvious question, but I'm going to ask anyway. How well thought out are your characters?
Now, what I mean is - how much planning do you go into for a, as an example, single members of a, possibly, made-up species? Maybe you're not able to tell others exactly how you want your character to specificly act, but the forum and in-game bios, etc., make you feel slightly upset. Maybe you do little to no planning for a specific handful of characters.

The reason I ask is mainly to see how much of an "OCD-head" - as my cousin rudely calls me - I really am by planning out a single species (which may or may not be an open species later) in a journal.
-Wolfie

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: How much Character Planning do You do?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:26:03 pm »
WAAAAAY too much. I've been designing Wyldercat (a custom species I made and posted in the species board) for like, 3 months before I posted it... even before I started playing Feral Heart, I ended up planning it for another game (which I quit after I discovered FH).

Sometimes when I go to my brother's house, I just sit there on the swingset at night and stare into the woods and think of the darkest plots, or just develop a character in my mind.

Astuzia took about a month of thinking of (back when I was still waiting for registration), and it only took 437 pelt ideas and name changes before I decided on the creamy, tawny fluffball known as Astuzia.

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Kastilla

• my mind is a sieve for inspiration.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 71
  • [ ] make time go faster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:58 pm »
Too much. I mean. Too much.
It took a long time to create a set-in-stone fursona - I kept changing it depending how I was feeling about how to represent myself. I went through all kinds of animals and colors. I did even create my own species in the making, I have since adapted it to my story about my life.
As for other characters, yeah, I took a while planning them too. Being a perfectionist gets in the way, too. Nothing is ever good enough for my mind. *rolls eyes and chuckles*
Most of my "homemade" species' were created by what I call an accident, or just a simple thought/drawing I came up with.
stinky dog coming through, don't mind me!

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:37:04 pm »
Most of my "homemade" species' were created by what I call an accident, or just a simple thought/drawing I came up with.

Mhm, same with most of my characters and species. I just exaggerate my time of planning a lot longer than it actually needs to be, I'm glad I'm not the only one.
-Wolfie

Offline Jackkdaw

• The Fabulous
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 138
  • actual cannibal
    • http://jackkdaw.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 01:44:15 am »
I usually don't do much.
My characters are often inspired by something I've heard or seen somewhere (mostly by cool words or names I come across).
Just by hearing the word I've chosen as the name, my mind kinda puts together the basic details of the character's design that would go best with the name. Idk it's weird. o3o
In-Game as: Jackkdaw
On DeviantART as Jackkdaw
sig by me

Offline Scarlet[]Death

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 01:35:22 am »
Hmm... I don't do that much planning on my characters besides them having a certain look then I take like probably two hours making them + on top of that the preset if wanted to. I'm not that much into planning a whole story of a character/full bio/all that good jazz. I'm more into making unique/uncommon/fictional species, even some with their own abilities (powers if you will) and like stated above, most by mistake. :b

Offline rustheart

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 76
  • Elbows are just arm knees.
    • RustyMcRustFace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 03:43:45 am »
Well, I spent about two years on my Vorox species.  I don't think I can plan them any more, it just isn't possible.
"I'm a kitchen sink, you don't know what that means. Because a kitchen sink to you, is not a kitchen sink to me, okay?"
Snow Shoe
Drawn by Aviru

Offline hugrf2

• Purple Derple
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 120
  • wrow
    • hugrf
    • channel/UChLphw5s3-hS8EFAgnNv6FQ
    • hugrf
    • hugrf
    • Ain't nobody got time fo' dat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 08:55:43 am »
I would think of it a lot if that's what you mean, or try to develop the idea in my mind enough or really quickly whilst developing the bio and plot/roll of the character as of now, but it usually doesn't take me too long to actually make the character itself. Like, mold it into its starting point after creation. Next stage is just roleplay and develop, if I ever do get to roleplay the character.

I usually just make... Uncommon sort of species in FeralHeart, or humanoids (Mainly Sci-Fi if that's what your wondering, like my made-up species, the hexxict) however, but again, not sure if it's either time that counts or all the basics that come into your (Or, in other words, my) head. I'm pretty much going with the basic stuff here, though. xD

TO SUM UP MY RAMBLING: I don't always spend a lot of time on it. Just think develop an idea in my head and, if I want to, make it.

Offline PrettyReckless

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 218
    • RecklessAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 11:54:21 am »
I can spend from 10 minutes up to several days on a design.
After a while I may realize it doesn't look the way I want, and therefore continue spending days to weeks on adjusting it.

Then I gotta spend hours 'n hours on figuring a name, if I don't already have one.

After that, bio time. Few hours up to days. :I
RETIRED.

Offline F456GH6

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • Wolfish is me spirit self.
    • View Profile
    • Aikido
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 11:36:19 pm »
I obsess over making a new character, I like to stay at one character for my main, It normally takes me about 5 minutes for the body structure, and 10 on the markings (aka the hardest part) then the coloring, it takes about 3 o-o
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:37:57 pm by SammyDeCakies »
Youtube // Wolfey Wulf                            Skype // wolfey.wulf           Characters //Sammy, Wolfey, Razzy