Author Topic: Origins of the Mate Center  (Read 2518 times)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Origins of the Mate Center
« on: October 18, 2014, 11:09:24 pm »
So, I was just sitting in Bonfire, as you do, and as per usual there's a person with a Mate Center character and a assortment of floofs gathered around them.

There I am watching them from a distance as the sun rises...looking shattered in all honesty.

And I thought, "From what idea did the odd context of the Mate Center spawn from?" I'd be interested to hear your theories on this, and if you have a Mate Center character. Share your weird, philosophical or scientific ideas with us. :D

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Origins of the Mate Center
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 11:16:54 pm »
Hrm... although I have no idea at all, I would guess a lot of people went around yelling "I NEE DA M8 HELP ME PLZ AH" when someone just made up a system and made a character.

I wonder if, whoever made up mate center, would think that so many other people would make their own and it would become a popular thing to do in Feralheart.

Offline kiaz1st

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 44
  • The Rogue
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • kiaz1st
    • View Profile
    • Kiaz Site
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:23 pm »
My reckoning would be, much like Devynex, one person noticed how many people were looking for quick mates, and just came up with the idea of a mate centre.

Maybe there is a more epic story to it somewhere, like some epic tale of mate-begged invasion, in which the only solution was to cage them up, however made the perfect situation to begin the infamous mate centre, and now the law is out to stop it.

Who knows. I wasn't involved...I-I mean, it probably didn't happen or anything.... -glances around-
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 11:30:56 pm by Kiaz »

Offline KatanaWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Delete this account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 02:46:30 pm »
As said before me I believe the mate centers arrived when people want to find a quick mate. Most likely this was made to make finding a mate faster and without roleplaying with said person. I dunno really it might have just been a random idea that popped into someone's head.
Account no longer in use.

Offline Wolfie_Lover

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 02:54:38 pm »
I'm not exactly sure when or where they originally popped up. They weren't exactly around when I first started playing (though, "Adoption Centers" were big back then, too). Much like the others had said, I'm sure they only started popping up once they were slightly fed up (well, I wouldn't say that, not necessarily atleast) with people yelling about getting mates. I'm sure that's how "Adoption Centers" started as well; they saw someone who wanted something specifically, or maybe were said person themselves.
-Wolfie

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »
As others have said, it probably originated when there were many mate beggars running around, screaming about "needing" a mate. Mate centers were around when I first joined (August 2012), but they were slightly different... but it could just have been a random idea. Kids are pretty creative these days ^^
Farewell everyone<3

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 06:46:54 pm »
all i know is that they came up near when those mating parties were an issue back in 2012. idk, it's been awhile.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »
I recall seeing Mate centers a few months into the life cycle the game, but I do not think it was a common occurrence until even a few months later around summer time the first year. I wouldn't be too certain about it being a later arrival in this game. But I must admit I cannot quite put my finger on "when" exactly it did become present since I never paid too much attention to these mate centers except when they clearly did something they shouldn't. However, I do not recall seeing any the first month the game was up. Someone that might remember bonfiring around in the early days might remember when they started popping up more accurately.

I do feel like Mate centers were not nearly as common or "popular" back then as it is now. It has just become some sort of funky norm for certain users in bonfire whether it is taking part or actually being the mate center yourself, like an activity. As far as it goes to inappropriate "parties" or "centers", just a few weeks into the game being here people were acting up and breaking rules of some sort, dancing on top of each other and yelling profanities into the chat for lolz it has always existed more or less. Freedom is an issue for some obviously.

It's an interesting topic since no one can quite know for certain who started this trend, but the guesses above about it just being someone seeing people going around asking for mates is a very reasonable one to me. When you think about how many users that ask the question "Looking for a mate?" or "Want to be my mate?" or simply just have information about their characters mate status in their bio even, a mate center really is like an express train for those who just don't care all to much or don't even understand the meaning of it. Mate centers are directly targeted at certain type of players and they do not seem to mind. Since we have a lot of the anything goes players around in bonfire, the thing we got to know as mate center easily lives on there, while if you might see one move out in Fluorite trying it's luck there, you see it get shot down instantly by the users since it simply doesn't appeal to most of the players there. FeralHeart just holds so many different types of players even though the game remains the same for all.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:56:41 pm »
Mate Centers were a fairly recent thing around the time I made my come back to FH sometime in early 2012 I believe. Adoption Centers started way before the Mate Centers ever existed. So sometime after FH got it's last update (The one that added the "new" maps Lonely Cave, Atlantis, South Pole, Last Cave, AI, SkysRim etc...) was probably when the Mate Center was born. My best guess is due to the home map being switched from Bonfire to Lonely Cave and many new maps being added it probably became increasingly rough to seek out a mate. Most of the time users ran around the original limited and crowded maps asking away and eventually finding a partner. The update however made people spread out more and mate searching became more tedious. Most likely some user who was all to familiar with the mate begging back then decided to start a Mate Center to make things easier. Given how popular and convenient Adoption Centers were and how they solved the issue of pup/cub begging it only seemed natural to copy a similar approach to mate begging.

The whole trend stayed in Bonfire like the Adoption center most likely because this map was the original home map and hub of most activity in game. Most people advertised in Bonfire because it is a small area where users could quickly interact and find each other and then move out to the other maps. The user or users who started the trend had a convenient idea and it stuck because Bonfire is such a close knit "community". Trends can quickly start and develop in Bonfire and other users are quick to follow on with these things. I guess you can say that whoever came up with the idea came up with it at the perfect time.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:59:28 pm by LordSuragaha »