Author Topic: Repeatedly Crashing on Windows 10  (Read 830 times)

Offline Valrin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • thos beans.....
    • View Profile
Repeatedly Crashing on Windows 10
« on: October 24, 2018, 04:23:31 am »
I recently got a new FH and runs perfectly smooth on my new computer. That is until even the slightest, itty bitty amount of lag causes it to close without freezing or Windows giving me a notification.
On my laptop, which is literally split through the middle irl, and chalk full 6 years of map files, presets, ect ran FH perfectly fine. If there was a bit of lag, it would freeze a moment and as long as I didn't hit any keys, it'd come to. (Of course there were times I crashed but it was avoidable.)
There are 0 ways to keep FH from crashing or finding ways to avoid crashing because even running through Lonely Caves can set it off.

I've tried running FH in the smallest window possible, no reflection, lowest viewing distance, no anti-aliasing, and even looked at the ground while running to avoid crashing, but it simply crashes at some point. Or even when I'm not moving and just looking at the sky, it'll inevitably crash in 1-5 minutes.
Off FH, I've made sure my firewall completely allows it, set it to high-priority in Task Manager, and set all the cores in my processor to help FH run. I even downloaded the Razer game booster (which helped me with Feralheart SO much on my old laptop) and it didn't work. (I also avoid running CPU-draining while trying to play FH)

It's funny, because I purposely bought this computer knowing it would be powerful and able to run FH like a breeze. It's really frustrating.

Here are my specs, hope someone here can help me find some answers ;_;

(Maybe it can't handle 64-bit operating very well? I'm pretty sure my laptop was 64-bit tho. Also it ran on Windows 8.)

I don't really know what else to try, but an RP is counting on me to finish a map so I'd really like to get it solved soon as possible, it's already overdue
BIG thanks to anyone who can help me aaaaaa ;_;

(I highly doubt it matters, but who knows... Here's my monitor's specs too. https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Commercial-Monitors/C624BQ/specifications/ )

Ratel

Re: Repeatedly Crashing on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 04:49:26 am »
The only thing I can think of is your specs or possibly the game files have somehow went wrong. I'd actually not do any of that with the boosts, as you only have a 1ghz processor you are probably putting a LOT of strain on it by making it do that. I'd like for you to download speccy and send me your specs here, as it also includes s temperature of your specs. I might be able to help a bit more then. (Try and screenshot it when our have FH running)

Offline Astraea

• ❤ Positivity ❤
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 186
  • previously esarosa
    • Esar0sa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 04:50:11 am »
Hello!

I would in this case suggest changing your rendering system to the one you don't run on since that can sometimes be the culprit of a lot of problems if you haven't already. You can do that in the Options tab via menu in game.

I do suggest taking a look at your particles folder in your main FeralHeart folder installed on your computer via; FeralHeart > media > particles. Look for any duplicates (Ex: fire_01.particle) and delete/restart. Sometimes extra particles get put into folders sometimes.

You could also try a character reset which can be done on the forum via; User Panel > Character Reset > and click "Reset Home". This sometimes is the case.

Another thing I want to ask, do you have preset sync installed or have ever installed it?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:51:42 am by Esarosa »
not active here anymore ♡

Offline Insoholic

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 12:12:12 pm »
  • Flipping through tabs can sometimes cause the game to randomly crash or when you have too many programs open at the same time while running FeralHeart.
  • Perhaps you've installed content such as mods, markings, items, and/or textures improperly or they themselves are causing errors.
  • Try changing your rendering subsystem.
    The absolute first thing you want to try is to change the rendering mode for the game. There's different rendering modes you can pick from, usually OpenGL and Direct3D9. This decides which way your graphic card should process the game. This one is at standard set to OpenGL, so we'd want to set it to Direct3D9.

There are two ways you can change this setting.

How to fix it!
    Either you start the game, go into the Options menu (can be accessed by pressing the Escape key on your computer), click the Video tab, and then change the rendering subsystem and restart the game.

Sometimes you aren't able to even enter the game, and all you can hear is the menu music, or it just crashes directly after launch. Those who experience this can enter the Feralheart folder located in C:\FeralHeart at standard, find the file called "Ogre.cfg" and open it with Notepad.

This file works just as the ingame options menu, but instead of buttons and sliders, there's text.

What we're interested in is the top row

Set the top row text so it is just like in the picture with the text
    Quote from:
    Render System=Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem

Save the file, and close it. Next time you run the game it should boot with the new settings you applied. You can also change your Rendering system by setting it to OpenGl instead of Direct3D9.
  • Make sure that you have DirectX installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35
  • Try running the game as an administrator.

Let us know if the problem persists.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 12:13:55 pm by Moontwist »

Signature art by Kynvuu

Offline Vilivikhorith

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • \n\n\n\n
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 12:26:54 am »
No amount of lag, firewall etcetra itself should cause a crash. Using any kind of booster/CPU overclocking probably won't make a difference (don't most CPUs nowadays have turbo enabled by default anyways?). Your cooling system should probably be fine, given how new your system is. CPUs will throttle themselves when hot, so there is no way to 'strain' a CPU. If you do decide to look at running temperatures, just make sure they stay below 105C or my assumption about good cooling may be wrong (Your GPU is on the same chip, so maybe worth looking at...). FH will run fine on x64 CPUs, since all x64 CPUs are backwards compatible with x86 instructions (and Windows has the library support for both sets), so no worries there.

If you hadn't made sure you're using the newest graphics driver, I'd check that first. Your CPU has an integrated GPU and sometimes they can go a bit awry (especially one as new as this running something as old as this).

Failing any of that, I'd say the sudden closing of the game to be a bit odd, as if the process is being killed. Are you running any kind of security software (antivirus and such)? Empty badfile.reminder?