Author Topic: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)  (Read 32943 times)

TealSkeletore

Re: Stolen Art (IMPORTANT)
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2011, 11:02:43 pm »
"Imitation is the highest form of flattery,"

I used to think the same way back when I was a newbie artist on the internet. But as I progressed and improved, and started putting a lot more work in to my art, I realized that I wouldn't like it very much if someone took my picture, pretended that it was their work, claimed my character as their own, and went so far as to actually use that character on a roleplay game or forum.

Offline Freyja

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • You're by my side, but are you still with me?
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2011, 11:06:28 pm »
"Imitation is the highest form of flattery" does not make it okay to steal. I don't see how that pardons ANYONE from art theft?

Edit: Oh and before someone pokes me about my signature, I commissioned that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:10:34 pm by Freyja »

Buri288

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2011, 11:39:39 pm »

Offline Shizuka

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • maybe it's a dream - maybe nothing else is real
    • View Profile
    • ~These Starry Nights v.2~ A Semi-Literate Warrior Cat RP
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »
Yeah this topic has gotten everyone excited and has become a debate...If you don't wan't your art to be claimed and used by other people, put your signature or some sort of Please do not use my artwork sign on it. Otherwise, if you post it online and don't claim it as your own, it pretty much belongs to anyone on the internet :D A the leader of feral hearts or the forum highest rank person should just read this, people's opinions,  and make a descision. Then the rules are set and people should follow them.

~These Starry Nights v.2~ A Warrior Cat RP
open to all levels of roleplay
characters[/ur

Buri288

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 12:01:40 am »
That's not how copyright law works.
In fact such a thing as 'poor man's copyright' exists, which means as soon as you finish drawing an image, writing a story, etc. it's automatically copyrighted to the creator.  No watermarking or signatures on the image required.

Would you walk into a museum and steal a painting because it's hanging for the public?  I highly doubt it (and you'd be swiftly arrested if you tried).

Offline Tripwire

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • Bamidele Lions Of Dodoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 12:05:28 am »
very true theneon but making art like somones and stealing thier completly are a little different. I personally cant draw very well but I wouldnt appreciate somone using my art as thier own and getting complments  about it that dont belong to them. =/

Offline Shizuka

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • maybe it's a dream - maybe nothing else is real
    • View Profile
    • ~These Starry Nights v.2~ A Semi-Literate Warrior Cat RP
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 03:37:29 am »
Well the people who didn't put their signature or whatever on the art didn't get copyright law, so, if they don't claim it, anyone can use it. Not that it's right, its just that no one can stop people from using it. You should never steal someone's art and take credit for it. When I post cool pictures that I've seen before to show other people, I don't take credit for it. I make sure they know it's not mine and I didn't draw it. If it's a specific person's art, I would get their permission. Some art is posted online by people and is intended to be shown to the public, such as WALLPAPERS. This category of art is released onto the internet purposely, for people who like that kind of thing to use it to show others. Of course it's still not right to claim you drew it. :)

~These Starry Nights v.2~ A Warrior Cat RP
open to all levels of roleplay
characters[/ur

Buri288

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 04:07:54 am »
You completely missed the first part of my previous post.

Here, this is taken directly from the US Copyright Office's website:

"When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device."

Basically what that means is immediately after you create something like a drawing, it's protected by copyright law.  You do not need to add a watermark or signature to have your image protected by copyright law, but it helps to protect it from art thieves because it's like a target saying "THIS IS MINE" so people know it's stolen.

TealSkeletore

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 04:32:50 am »
Buri, if you like you could make a thread explaining all this and I can sticky it in the rules section so it's easier to find.

dragonzoomer

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 04:42:33 am »
quick recap here;

it doesnt matter if its being posted on the internets and it tempts you! its still stealing!

theres a big difference between using images that are public domain (screen shots from animes movies and comics) and using something that not many people know existed (private artist, professional art, commissioned art etc)

you DONT NEED YOUR SIGNATURE ON SOMETHING FOR IT TO BE COPYRIGHTED. as soon as you make it its officially yours.

stealing art IS A CRIME AND YOU CAN GET IN SERIOUS LEGAL TROUBLE FOR IT!

if you want to use art thats not your own DONT JUST GIVE CREDIT! some artists dont like it even with credit!

just ask before using someone elses art, its not that hard

btw if this site didnt have a rule like this then it itself can be closed down.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:45:42 am by Li-Li the sparkling ninja »