Author Topic: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?  (Read 5885 times)

Offline .Sasha.

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • in a relationship with 50 non existent characters
    • View Profile
Re: Your opinion on calling people 'noobs'?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 12:06:45 pm »
I can only agree with the above comments, not a fan of it.
Just yesterday someone called me noob over and over again, I've been playing the game since 2011 or '12, just because I asked if blocking a person also stops them from seeing me. I rarely block people, and this was about my abuser so sorry for asking, wow.
Seriously, it's nowhere stated after what period of time one is a 'full/old member' so there's also no need to call people who are new 'noobs'.
In fact, if someone's new, askes a question about the game, needs help, people should help and not call someone out for beeing new.

Asides from that i really love the quote of Hooli which was posted here. We're all just people who want to play this game, no need to call someone out for the period of time they are here, the way they decide to build their characters, their fandoms or anything else.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:09:34 pm by Grandmaster. »
In-game; .Sasha.
Yes hello this the dad of FH. Mostly seen at The Grounds.

Offline xmapleleafx

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 02:55:43 pm »
To be honest, the term noob basically means newbie, but it's a very slang and unpolite word to use. It can make people feel unwelcome and less important. Usually, people who use the word noob are very rude - sometimes people can use the word without knowing. Everyone starts as a newbie at first, then we develop new skills and learn more when you get into what you are doing. Next time you call someone noob, just remember, you want people to feel welcome but by calling them noobs will probably encourage them to call others noob, and it will spread, a lot of feelings will be hurt.  ;)
Insert a fancy signature here.

Offline PandyBlue

• Forum Newcomer
  • Night Roamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »
Everyone has their own style and just because it's not like yours doesn't mean they're lesser than yourself. I take high offense from anyone calling people noobs, even if it's not directed at me.

Understand is key. To grudge is to fall, yet understanding is how you will be reborn.

Offline KatanaWolf

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • Delete this account.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 05:35:48 pm »
I'm not all for calling people noobs. To me it just seems rude to call a person a noob just because they don't know the game well. They are newbies for a reason and it's cause their new. If more older players help out newbies instead of flat out thinking their below them, their wouldn't be as big of a problem.
Account no longer in use.

Offline Kitten Irvyne

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Profile pic by me. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 11:34:52 pm »
I believe that the word "noob" is very wrongly used. Where it was originally created on some forum or game somewhere over the rainbow, it was a term used to describe someone new to the game or forum. Now, the use of noob has spiralled far from the innocent use of describing a new player. It has become an insult, in some cases. Lots of people, to their credit, do only use it in the best of intentions, but a larger percentage don't. This is what constantly spins my head -- since when was it so bad to be new to something?

Noob, I've now noticed, is also used to describe people who aren't as strict on grammar, or, as some more stuck-up people like to call, "illiterate". Um, yeah, about that. I'd call myself a noob/newbie/newb simply because I'm new to the game and still getting the hang of things, but *flails* I'm not an "illiterate idiot". I guess -- actually, I know -- what I'm trying to say is that, even though the word's original use wasn't offensive, it certainly is now, by most people.

HOWEVER, I am not pointing fingers at anyone! Don't jump the gun just yet... Actually, just don't jump the gun.

I've also noticed that, along with people who don't find English to be their strongpoint (I know they're commonly made fun of, but give them a break - they're trying!), neons are often referred to as noobs, though, what people mean is that they are illiterate. This is absolutely appalling. The use of noob now, as far as my observation, is just to describe people who aren't very good at English, considering that that is the language most used in this game, though there are people who speak different languages (such as in the Cape...I, personally, love seeing the different languages being spoken. It gives the game a sense of comforting diverseness).

Yeah, I know I ranted a bit there... Sorry, not sorry. Long story short; I dislike the use of noob when it is meant to offend, which, more often than not now, it is.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:47:09 am by QueenParanoia »

Offline jay warfang

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 02:42:20 am »
Okay first off let me say that I think that separating players of any game by how long they've played the game is wrong. If someone is new you don't assume (if you're a reasonable person) their a idiot and bash on the for being new, you show them the ropes! If we wan't to continue growing as a community then we cannot be toxic towards new  players under any circumstance rather it is our responsibility and privilege to be kind and do what we can to help newer players settle in. I personally always try to help out if someone asks for my assistance regardless of how long they've been involved with the matters at hand.

Secondly allow me to say that most people who use the terminology "Noob" seriously, tend to be some of the most toxic, angry people I've ever had contact with. In my personal experience they also tend to be some of the most self-entitled, pretentious bigots I've had the (questionable) honour of knowing. People who think that time invested in something makes them better than others likely don't have much else going for them and therefore attach themselves to whatever little thing they do have and are just kind of jerks about it.

As my third point I shall say that I personally never really understood the whole idea of calling out other people for being new at something. The way I see it we were all new to whatever at some point and are constantly being part of new experiences therefore we are not the same people day to day. The idea of the constantly changing self was a idea I first came across in my art 10, my teacher (one Mr, Senner) said that sometimes when you start a piece and leave it to another day when you pick it up again you'll have no idea what you were doing nor what you planned to do since you are a new person. To finish what I'm saying here we are all "noobs" in a sense.

I hope that nothing I have said here upset anyone if I have it was not my intention and I am sorry.   

Offline Sandytails

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 12
  • I rly like robots tbh
    • neon-chann.deviantart.com
    • wildbreak
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2015, 01:34:57 pm »
The word "noob" immediately reminds me of my 12 year old self -shudders- hhh

I still use it ironically, tho. But I just can't take the word seriously anymore.
Gif of Bitobae by Deathy <3

Find me on FH with the usernames Sandytails, Clawingeyes, Magolor, Spring-trap and Whirl!

Offline LovieHats

• Curious Wanderer
  • nyoom
    • StarsStrikeInTheAir
    • littledorkysmile
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »
I don't really see the point of it. Instead of calling them that, why not help them? That way, they can improve.
Whatever lies beyond this morning, is a little later on

Regardless of warnings, the future doesn't scare me at all

Nothing's like before

Offline Whinp

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 02:32:27 pm »
Eh. In my dictionary, a noob is someone that is new to a game but refuses on improving, and instead goes for cheap and easy methods. For example, spamming buttons at random on a fighting game.
Newbie is someone that's new to that game and wans to improve.

I think it is offensive for some people, but for me it isn't. Well, most cases where I've been called a noob (and last time I was called seriously was in 2012 I believe) I really didn't offend myself. I like to call noob to my close friends to joke.

But when you're with someone else there is absolutely NO reason to call someone a noob. Especially on FH. You're supposed to have fun, RP and things, not to get competitive.

In-game name as: Whinp

Offline CryptidBeast

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 03:14:06 pm »
I despise the word to a great extent, quite honestly.

These 'noobs' or new members haven't grasped the full concept of the character creator or anything with grammar? It's me and my friend's thought, but in all honestly, why put a label on people when you haven't gotten to know a single thing about them? Not everybody knows the 'secrets' to FeralHeart's character creator, they can't make a character that has the looks of ones character. As the person with the 'newbie-copier-stolen' character gets screamed at for looking like them. Unless it's the 0 0 0 people who make characters as such to be 'liked' for their character. But heck, even that's no reason to give someone the label of noob. It's popular; always has been, probably always will be. I myself quite like the characters with that appearance, I don't know why, I just do.
And on grammar? Does it really matter how a person types when not roleplaying or whatever? I've seen someone, the one you'd call 'noob', say: 'ur a strange person u know' Then one of the people who has been sitting and doing nothing goes: 'You can't even spell, you're stupid.' Later on they go ranting about how much they hate noobs. Honestly, give them a break! They're called NEW MEMBERS for a reason.

But that's just my opinion.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 03:16:49 pm by CryptidBeast »

Signature by Seven ; Avatar by me
In-game User ; CryptidBeast
DeviantART