Author Topic: Bringing Up Old Topics...  (Read 4792 times)

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Bringing Up Old Topics...
« on: May 10, 2015, 02:27:55 am »
Hopefully this topic's subject will strike somewhat of an interest in you.

So, old topics...

People are busy bustling away with their lives, checking out what's new- what should be answered, and what shouldn't be answered, but do they have the time to skim back through the old topics and reply to them? Does it matter? Do they care? Are those old topics still of any importance? Or are they just a glimpse of the past that is over with, resolved, and in no need to ever be set on with eyes again?

What's your opinion?
Do you still click back to the earlier pages of forum and/or game discussion?
Why or why not?
Should you, or should you not?

~This post was meant to glimpse the insides of your minds. I'm not looking to start a riot. I'm just horribly curious.
~

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Kibacher

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 5
  • look into my eyes, what do you see?. Infinity
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart
Re: Bringing Up Old Topics...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 11:00:44 am »
I'm starting to re-think my life choices, that was very deep dear floof.
I just may scour through the ancient forum and revamp or resurrect some topics...
still thinking about life lessons
This may be a virtual world but our feelings are real

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 07:15:49 pm »
I'm starting to re-think my life choices, that was very deep dear floof.
I just may scour through the ancient forum and revamp or resurrect some topics...
still thinking about life lessons

Ah. I'm glad to know it's not only me who's thought of this.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 03:08:23 am »
As far as it goes when it comes to the FeralHeart forum and things around it, it's an important part of what we have today. Eventually what lead up to the game we have today, and the community that follows.

There's a lot of history dug in and hidden around these boards about everything more or less FeralHeart related, and much of this is information or just history and most players never will hear of ever again, things that literary shaped this community. Could be struggles and hard work, fun events or happenings, less fun ones too, but also people(good or bad) that has come and that has gone. There's also a lot of knowledge that can be easily snatched up from someone more fresh in their boots if they're willing to find it.

Counting away the time and energy that needs to be spent to find the things that might appear a bit more hidden or forgotten, I only see gains from reading up on old posts and topics, they have a lot to learn us really. I myself find it very important that we keep as many threads as possible up and visible around the boards, this so people can actually go back in time and see what might've taken place and learn, and I believe staff and even common users of this community agree with me on that too. I cannot imagine this forum without all the old history within reach just a few clicks away.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Warriorstrike

• Ancient Silver Mane
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 12:30:42 am »
As far as it goes when it comes to the FeralHeart forum and things around it, it's an important part of what we have today. Eventually what lead up to the game we have today, and the community that follows.

There's a lot of history dug in and hidden around these boards about everything more or less FeralHeart related, and much of this is information or just history and most players never will hear of ever again, things that literary shaped this community. Could be struggles and hard work, fun events or happenings, less fun ones too, but also people(good or bad) that has come and that has gone. There's also a lot of knowledge that can be easily snatched up from someone more fresh in their boots if they're willing to find it.

Counting away the time and energy that needs to be spent to find the things that might appear a bit more hidden or forgotten, I only see gains from reading up on old posts and topics, they have a lot to learn us really. I myself find it very important that we keep as many threads as possible up and visible around the boards, this so people can actually go back in time and see what might've taken place and learn, and I believe staff and even common users of this community agree with me on that too. I cannot imagine this forum without all the old history within reach just a few clicks away.

I made a reference to something similar to what you've said, and someone told me that reviving old posts and topics are discouraged and pointless. Nontheless, I agree with you, and I'm happy to see someone else post on this.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 03:12:55 am »
reviving old posts and topics are discouraged and pointless.
That's true.

There really isn't an excuse for necroing. If a topic is dead, let it be. Of course, you are allowed to look back at old topics, but you can do that without reviving the thread.

I'm not sure why you can't revive a topic that is years old, for example. I'm not a moderator. All I know is that it's discouraged on here and many other forums and it's annoying.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 03:15:19 am by OhKelseyYou »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 05:02:49 pm »
It's all a matter of "how" and "why".

Just writing a short reply like.

"I like this, nice!" or "Wow, I didn't know" will not really provide anything to an old discussion thread laying about. It's nothing wrong with bumping a discussion subject that would still be actual to talk about today, let's say someone posted about opinions regarding the map maker in FeralHeart. In no way is that thread getting out of date since the map maker will always be a part of FeralHeart. Things like content threads too, maps, markings? If someone want to let the OP know they like their creations an old date shouldn't stop anyone really.

It all depends on how the commenter revives the thread, what for, what the topic is about etc.

This is also why we cannot have a rule plainly saying that reviving threads is against the rules or that anyone can post in an old thread since the rules wouldn't really be suiting either way. Mentioning that it's "discouraged" is a more well explained way since it will keep most sensible from bumping for bad reasons and keep things more actual around the boards. But as far as just reading up around the board or bringing back some history around the community I do not have anything against really.

I hope this explains it.

Offline Bluparrot

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 02:05:08 am »
It's all a matter of "how" and "why".

Just writing a short reply like.

"I like this, nice!" or "Wow, I didn't know" will not really provide anything to an old discussion thread laying about. It's nothing wrong with bumping a discussion subject that would still be actual to talk about today, let's say someone posted about opinions regarding the map maker in FeralHeart. In no way is that thread getting out of date since the map maker will always be a part of FeralHeart. Things like content threads too, maps, markings? If someone want to let the OP know they like their creations an old date shouldn't stop anyone really.

It all depends on how the commenter revives the thread, what for, what the topic is about etc.

This is also why we cannot have a rule plainly saying that reviving threads is against the rules or that anyone can post in an old thread since the rules wouldn't really be suiting either way. Mentioning that it's "discouraged" is a more well explained way since it will keep most sensible from bumping for bad reasons and keep things more actual around the boards. But as far as just reading up around the board or bringing back some history around the community I do not have anything against really.

I hope this explains it.
Well said, Red. (Hey, that rhymes.)

Shake it!
Blu Parrot - The Pokemon Fanbird of FeralHeart

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 02:37:24 am »
Thank you for clearing it up for me, Red. ( ???)/

But does how old the thread is matter too in a sense? I wouldn't think it would be right to reply to a thread last updated in 2011 or 2012, for example.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:39:40 am by OhKelseyYou »

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:00:40 pm »
I think users around our board on auto tilts their head the older a thread is. We have warnings showing up before posting in any thread if the thread is over 30 days old since last reply was posted, this is just to remind users and not to stop them.

Most older threads in general tend to have something to them that makes them less reasonable to drag up, or people will have less understanding of why someone would bump it. A few years old thread should probably have really good reasons to be brought back. If the reasons are the right ones as mentioned in an earlier post a user would be able to, but it's important that they explain "why" they reply/bring the topic back up, especially if it's a discussion of sorts.

The best question to ask one self is "How is this discussion thread current today and what will my reply add to it on the bigger scale." Before jumping in and replying.