Author Topic: Need help with texturing meshes, I may of done something wrong.  (Read 1352 times)

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 24
  • I gave up on this FH since I was let down...
    • View Profile
Need help with texturing meshes, I may of done something wrong.
« on: February 08, 2018, 07:49:43 pm »
Okay so luckily I finally figured out how to make meshes, convert them to .mesh, and then open them in the object maker successfully. However I am still running into two very annoying problems with these meshes. First one is I will texture it ahead of time and then convert the mesh itself, but even if in blender I have settings on the mesh to display the texture as is, it still appears as simplified colors in FeralHeart Object Maker.

What it should look like texture wise:

What it looks like in FeralHeart:

The second problem I am facing is no matter what I do I can't seem to make the mesh 2 sided so that it does not become "invisible" when you are on the inside of the structure. I did check off 2-sided when working on it in blender, but I guess that does not carry over to DeleD or FeralHeart. DeleD does not seem to have an option to make the mesh two sided using their program. So please help I am so close to making my own meshes, but these little delays are an annoying way that it makes it feel like I take one step forward and two steps back. Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:55:01 pm by ShadowMT13 »

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with creating objects
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 07:51:18 pm »
I will also add that I did in fact put my textures I used into the FeralHeart my_objects folder, so that is not the case right now. I did everything right overall with placing files I would say, but I did something wrong with settings and rendering possibly. I am guessing maybe I have to do a bit of coding in the material files other then just adding textures, if that is the case I need someone to tell me what coding combinations to type.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:52:49 pm by ShadowMT13 »

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
Re: Need help with creating objects
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 07:57:06 pm »
A material file with the code:
Code: [Select]
cull_software none
cull_hardware none
Stops objects from becoming invisible on the other side, but I'm not sure if it'll work on Blender objects as I've never tried it on Blender objects that are textured in Blender.

I've had the simple-looking texture problem on objects that are sculpted in Sculptris and exported via Blender, but I'm not sure how to fix it either.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:01:09 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with texturing meshes, I may of done something wrong.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:51 pm »
A material file with the code:
Code: [Select]
cull_software none
cull_hardware none
Stops objects from becoming invisible on the other side, but I'm not sure if it'll work on Blender objects as I've never tried it on Blender objects that are textured in Blender.

I've had the simple-looking texture problem on objects that are sculpted in Sculptris and exported via Blender, but I'm not sure how to fix it either.

Okay thanks a lot, hopefully someone else can answer my question on how to fix the other problem with the textures. I appreciate it and yes the code worked because I already have the mesh and material converted for FeralHeart.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:11:38 pm by ShadowMT13 »

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:36:27 pm »
If you coloured the mesh, then textured it, it may be losing the texture to the colour trying to over-ride it.  That happened on the fist object i made.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 12:58:06 pm »
If you coloured the mesh, then textured it, it may be losing the texture to the colour trying to over-ride it.  That happened on the fist object i made.
Would be helpful to explain what you mean and also tell me how to do that, because I am not really understanding what you mean (^_^)"

Offline ShadowMT13

• Dedicated Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 01:46:11 am »
Someone, anyone? I still need help with the first problem I am facing. Can someone please help?

Offline Samue

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Hi, I`m shy! Who are you?
    • SamueWolfSword
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 03:04:12 am »
I`m not sure what went wrong to make your texture a solid color, but here are a few things that I think are required for certain textures to work:

The mesh must have been unwrapped. If it wasn`t unwrapped then in edit mode (in blender) you can press a to select the whole mesh then press u and then click one of the options that appears (maybe "Smart UV Project").
     I think that the object can only be exported in object mode, in case you see the export button greyed out after doing this.
     I didn`t change any of the export settings and it turned out ok.

I`m unsure if this is necessary, but I deleted all objects in the blender scene (including the lamp and camera) except the mesh before exporting the file.

Maybe ignore or even delete the scene file that was created by exporting, or just move it to the desktop in case it somehow interferes with the mesh.

I put the XML document that was created from exporting the object in blender, I put it on an application called OgreXMLConverter and got a MESH file out of it.

Then I put the mesh in the my_objects folder and copied (copied, not cut) the rock MATERIAL file from the rocks folder into the my_objects folder.
Then I deleted everything in the new rock file but this
material rockMat
{
   technique
   {
      pass
      {
         cull_hardware none
         cull_software none
         texture_unit
         {
            texture rockTex.jpg
         }
      }
   }
}
And then rename the rockTex.jpg to the name of your texture and rockMat to the name you`ll put into the Material text box under the Mesh tab of FeralHeart`s object maker.
     You can rename the new rock file itself to whatever ya want.

~~~~~

Note: With the way I make meshes, when I load the mesh into the game is appears pure white. Then, in the Material text box under the Mesh tab of FeralHeart`s object maker, I have to type in the name of the material (rockMat being an example).

I use Blender 2.59 when working with FH.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:55:23 am by Samue »
Ey, I`m shy! ...but I have gotten braver! Doesn`t mean I`m not scared, though.