Author Topic: Role-Play on Public Maps and Group Interactions  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
Role-Play on Public Maps and Group Interactions
« on: October 11, 2016, 08:04:44 am »
Bootiful image by Mojave <3

So this is a topic I've been wanting to make for a while.

From my experience thus far, while I'm sure we all understand that yes you can decline a request to RP if you obviously don't want to, no one can force you to RP, but when it comes to people as individuals under groups. It has come time and time again people are not allowed and not willing to RP with other groups or outside characters if they don't have a superior around, while if that is an official rule about your group no one can change that obviously but when you start restricting people as individuals that's where I kind of disagree regardless if you want a superior there or not.

Now we seem to have grown as a society that hates drama, and now some instances when people simply disagree it is scolded upon to disagree because it's just "drama".

When did the drama leave role-play? Some of us role-play for the drama, and a lot of us came from a background in which conflict experienced in role-play taught us and continues to teach us how to deal with real life situations. I feel like there is a disconnection with that now, a disconnection of striving for being something you're not to experience what it's like. Instead now everyone is too afraid because they'll be accused of "starting drama". I don't think that's fair, and I'm someone who would like to change the negative context in which "conflict" happens, because when you're with a good group of people you can have healthy conflict, and if you yourself don't want to be a part of it opt out.

I see it as an important part of learning, and I don't think it's entirely fair to exclude your individual members from having their own role-play with others just because you yourself don't want to be a part of it while others do. I even had met one leader who was excited to role-play a conflict with my group, but she ended up ultimately disbanding the group because her members did not want to deal with conflict.

Essentially I am making this discussion because I want to hear other people's opinions, and that hopefully maybe we can be more positive about conflict in role-play instead of dreading and blaming people for "drama". Maybe it would lead to a healthier community as a whole.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
Re: Role-Play on Public Maps and Group Interactions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 08:15:49 am »
Oh wow. Here's my opinion on this. I am not currently involved in a roleplay and haven't roleplayed on FeralHeart in years. I had no idea this type of thing was going on until this post. I wonder why people don't let people within their group rp. Isn't that the point of forming a group? And with a group, not everyone is online at once. You'll get chances to roleplay with different people based on when they log on. But you'd be left with no choice but to sit there until a leader logs on. To me, it doesn't seem effective and can leave people to feel disconnected from other members of the group. I'm just as confused as you are. Wonder why they do this, exactly.

As for the conflict issue. I think I know what you mean by "conflict" in the group. Please clarify if i'm incorrect as to what you actually mean. Do you mean having roleplay tension or fights between your characters? Because, if that is the case, I totally see how this upsets you. Characters should be able to interact in ways other than just positive. In real situations, not everybody gets along. As long as two players agree to having conflict OOC and talk to one another before they rp a negative interaction, I see no problem with this. If people understand that it's just roleplay, it shouldn't cause any OOC drama at all. If anything, it should strengthen your relationship with the person behind the characters. You'll get opportunities to talk to one another about the progress of your characters' relationship.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:18:11 am by MorgraWolf »
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Drunk

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 15
  • The Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 08:41:44 am »
Ooh yep just to quickly clarify I mean role-play tension yes. OOC is usually very peaceful with us.

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:01:27 am »
Ooh yep just to quickly clarify I mean role-play tension yes. OOC is usually very peaceful with us.
Ahh okay, that's what I thought you meant. Good to hear about OOC peace too.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:06:16 am »
i don't get involved with groups much but from what i've seen, they sweat too much small things.  Things that ultimately don't matter.  If you do your own thing, and someone else is doing something else, just roll with it.  Generally it'll all work out.
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"