Author Topic: A way to ban people from private maps?  (Read 4187 times)

Offline dinoanc

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
  • dinoanc.deviantart.com/
    • View Profile
A way to ban people from private maps?
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:14 pm »
I think this is where I need to post this. o-o
But seriously, this makes me mad. I'll be peacefully RPing by myself, and then some troll enters the map. We asked the kindly to leave, and the don't.
It'd be nice if atleast the map maker had the option to ban people from their maps and stuff.
I think alot of people would love it.
Seriously. o-o

Offline bluesnow26

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • I don't settle for second. Finish the puzzle.
    • TheShadowCherry
    • bluesnow261
    • @bluesnow2610
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantART~
Re: A way to ban people from private maps?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:59 pm »
I know right?
Like, we should have another tab and type in the Map MODs
:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THAT WOULD BE SO EPIC.

Offline RawSyndicate

• Bagged Milk
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
  • OG Floofins
    • View Profile
    • DA: RawSyndicate
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 11:40:39 pm »
If you catch people trolling in your map, Screenshot it and send it to the mods, they will deal with it personally.

But Yes i agree, that would be quite useful! c:

Offline dinoanc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:01 pm »
I have tried, it doesn't help too much. v.v And plus, it doesn't KEEP them from not entering the map. ;-;

Offline RawSyndicate

• Bagged Milk
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 57
  • OG Floofins
    • View Profile
    • DA: RawSyndicate
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:43 pm »
Block them? xD Thats always an easy way out. If They're Block they won't have anyone to troll.

Offline dinoanc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 11:45:33 pm »
Yeah, I know. o: Still. x'D

wolfdog01

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 11:48:56 pm »
Good idea, I would love to do that, but meh, blocking to me, is the best way to go.

Offline Hazelstiltskin

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
  • Nyahaha~
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt! :D
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:33:51 pm »
Amen to that suggestion~!
I believe this needs to be assessed by Red or one of those awesome floofs; a white-list would be perfect for mini-maps. (And apparently it has, but another look couldn't really hurt. ;w;) Here, have some reasons I spent hours coming up with to do so! :D
  • Okay, first of all! Often times, and I'm not saying all the time, if someone is asked to leave a map permanently or for a long amount of time or whatnot, they'll have had to have done something exceedingly bad or repeatedly broken the set rules of that map or roleplay. If this is the case, who says they are going to leave? They may believe they are in the right, after all.
  • Next; people work hard on their private maps for roleplays. Its not something that people just slop over, it is something that takes a long amount of time and lots of effort. Why do people do this? They make maps because they want it to become a roleplay ground where many people can create memories and have fun. When some people come traipsing in and breaking rules left or right, or trolling even, it can really hurt them. Why would their maps need to go to waste? A white-list would help solve this problem.
  • Additionally, some private maps are private for a reason. There are no official FeralHeart moderators there, only mods assigned by the creators of the map and or roleplay. These people need to have some form of rule over their own map, be it a self-assigned moderator or administrator. Most people understand that when they can get 'kicked' or 'banned' from a roleplay, it means the mass-ritual banning of that member. Well, now many people look to that with a ready sneer, as they know the personal map's moderators' warnings are mere text and they can't do anything about their misdemeanor. Well, a white-list could certainly change that. c:
  • Furthermore, a white-list would be useful on FeralHeart because some people love to roleplay. I know this sounds ridiculous, as you wouldn't even make an account on FeralHeart if you didn't love to roleplay, but some of us hold it more loved or treasured than others. I, for example, gave up my boyfriend for this game. Yes, an act of a foreveralone-lifeless nerd, but an action I'm happy with. Again, many people take their roleplaying quite seriously. When trolls come along, or rule-breakers, it can really derail some people. A white-list could help get the full effect of FeralHeart.
Ohmai. It feels like I just typed an essay for school or something.
Well, technically I did type an essay. For a good cause! *Shakes fist and raises poster*.
Anywho, a white-list on FeralHeart would be a great thing.
Now, I'm no technician or game-maker, but it couldn't be that hard to do, right? I mean, it could be like Minecraft is (Lol, yes... I am so sorry for referencing another game, but fo' reals!) with it's little notepad document where you list the names of users not allowed in your server. Or something you can create in the map maker, though if this were so, every time you'd ban a member you'd need a map update... [Andsomemapsareprettybig. :I] I understand it could be confusing in the fact that anybody could get a hold of this notepad file, but there has to be a way, right...? I dunno, this isn't really up to me. *Points to not a technician or game-maker*.
Welp, thanks for your time and thanks for reading thus far! This would be a genuinely amazing addition to FeralHeart. Just sayin'. :3
~Hazel!
"Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 11:02:23 pm »
Been mentioned countless of times that this is not something that is possibly to set up at the moment.

As much as users see positives it comes with tons and tons of negatives as well, and there is not really any true easy way to set up so users can kick members out of the maps or even ban them. I don't want to ramble on about why this is exactly since it's already been done before.

But the maps are saved locally on your computer, while the server holds the information for one once someone starts it up/enters it. Somewhere in this it means that names of the mods of maps needs to be saved to the server or at least this information must go through, setting powers to members or checking up on potential whitelists for maps.

Maps hashes must always be provided so users don't make conflicts with the maps and other stuffies, in all honesty I believe this is not something that will happen anytime soon unless there's a really good way to sort it out that is actually possible. To be honest I'm not a big fan of having users with powers in their maps, I can just see how we would get complaints and reports about members abusing their powers in bigger roleplays just to get these to work out for them the best as soon as something doesn't go their way.

Or the whitelist idea, how users must re-export the map in order for the whitelisting to update with new names, and in that case the ones having the old map would just be able to walk in there without issues since this whitelist must be on the server I believe, and in that case a new function must be made just for users to change and update this list, and in that case another function must be made just for members to manage old and new maps, and in that case I can see how maps do not get updated properly and the list goes on and on.

I cannot say this is how it has to be, and as long as someone got a good idea to sort things like this like many programmers have a creative mind for then maybe there's an answer, but at the moment I myself cannot see how this would even be able to set up in a good way, especially since the game is completely at halt at the moment as well.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

wolfdog01

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 12:20:59 am »
Yes, true this game does come with coutless good things, though I think we are all just a bit downers cause we do think of the bad. Though blocking works well for me, block then walk away.