Author Topic: Environmental sound and shadows in the game  (Read 1144 times)

Offline Mihaly

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Environmental sound and shadows in the game
« on: March 16, 2018, 10:21:36 am »
I think there are more type of sound in it. 
Forests,crickets in the grass, wind sounds.
Be it shadows, landscape wounld be lifelike.

Offline SophyTheLioness

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 14
  • FUZZY LLAMA COOL LLAMA SEXY LLAMA
    • ValentinaTheWolf
    • View Profile
Re: Environmental sound and shadows in the game
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:18:46 pm »
Sadly, i think shadows are impossible to stick into feralheart due to a lack of access to the source code. I'm not sure if its also because of a (maybe) incompability between water reflections and shadows, but I think its because it would produce a lot of lagging.
A lot of it. You have no idea ;;
Regardings it being a good idea? Hell yeah i'd put that in in a flash!

Forest and wind sounds i think we already have but crickets would be p. neat, especially if there was a way of only turning their sounds on at night time.
I'M YOUR OBSESSIVE SABLE MOMMA.

Signature art by bab number 1 Kiaz <3
Avatar art by bab number 2 Cocoadoq <3

(Psst, check out my free species! If you like canines... Check out this thread ;) http://www.feral-heart.com/smf/index.php?topic=57355.0

Offline FlyingGrass

• ~🛠 The avant-garde doctor of mechanical beings. 🔧 🔬
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • FlyingGrass
    • channel/UCA7RfqQ1KLl4s8JhxIXNs_Q
    • View Profile
    • Mechanicafeles Discord link
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 12:44:29 pm »
The cricket sounds are possible by changing the ambient noises of the game. But, despite the game being able to recognize what time is night and changing the ambient lighting accordingly, the sounds can't be coded to start at night without coding the sound's start and end routine of the transition process from daylight to night.

But as for the shadows...

Shadows would require a shadowmap. There'd have to be a shadowmap added to every object(If no object currently has a shadowmap)... But I don't know for sure, as I've never made shadowmaps.

The game will have to perform checks on every object to see what shadow it would create depending on the time of day(FeralHeart's "ambient lighting" code responds to changes in the time of day, more specifically sunrise, midday and sunset, showing that the game knows exactly what ingame time of day it is and changes ambient lighting accordingly). Shadows may be possible with access to the OpenGL rendering subsystem code of the game, and quite possibly the ability to update the version of OpenGL rendering subsystem the game runs with.

BUT: We'll have to consider the things that'll slow down the game. The time it takes to load maps would be increased as the shadowmaps are loaded, and the object positions determined for accurate placement of shadows, then the deciding of the position of the shadow according to the time of the ingame day, and that check of shadow position may cause midday and sunrises/sunsets to cause lag.

Shadows would be so demanding that FeralHeart may not run well with shadows. Gui's preset loads longer when the preset file is bigger, and the size of the preset file is dependent on the images inside, so larger images cause more loading and having more images can also increase loading times unless those extra images are just one pixel(In which case the load time increase is barely noticeable). If the shadowmaps are large files then that'll take a toll on load times, potentially cause crashes(I crashed when loading Gui's preset into a detailed map, but was fine when Gui wasn't wearing the preset), then the shadows could become as rarely activated as water reflections.

Would shadows catch anyone's eye? Does anyone look at water reflections when they walk past?

And that's all the problems I see with shadows.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:49:30 pm by FlyingGrass »

My presets.

Good things take time, so I'll take an eternity and create something so good that the human brain can't handle the sheer goodness of it.

Offline Kuri

• Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 136
  • Foreboding evil harmless kitten.
    • dumbstuff4friends
    • channel/UCo42jgbLvEzkofpOin0_a4A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 07:09:13 pm »
I add environmental sounds to custom maps, the if you add too many... the lag you get is tremendous.
I tried to glitch in some effects once & this was the shadow that formed...
The Japanese concept of wabisabi:
The closest concept in english would be 'rustic'
They might have an old thing, one example is a favourite bowl or dish, it's broken, pieces are missing, why fix it?  With gold and pieces from other dishes?
"Because it was my favourite & I like it"

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 07:36:31 pm »
Shadows and reflective water cannot be added to the same game in the version of OGRE Feralheart runs on.

You can add sounds to maps by adding it to an object and replacing the music with natural sounds as well.