Author Topic: Bumps in Map? (Map Maker issues)  (Read 682 times)

Offline lemonpoppy

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Bumps in Map? (Map Maker issues)
« on: June 13, 2016, 02:35:30 pm »
I'm not sure where this post best belongs, so here I am.
Anyway, I am trying to create a new map for the public to enjoy, but I am running into one problem in particular that is very irritating.
I am creating all my maps in Gimp 2.6 (I believe) and when I open them in-game, all of these strange bumps appear in the map.
Does anyone know how to fix this? I have tried with Paint Tool Sai and I get the same result. Is there another program that will get rid of these lines/doesn't have them?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 02:39:09 pm by Kaitlyn »

Offline Wyldercat

• The Crimson Cryptic
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 101
  • yare yare daze
    • bugbearbear
    • View Profile
Re: Bumps in Map? (Map Maker issues)
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:41:16 pm »
I believe this is just caused by the one of the blender tool options that "mixes" the colors in a gradient rather than make the transition entirely smooth. I suggest using GIMP or Photoshop and reblending the colors more thoroughly.
Hope this helps, and may your issue resolve smoothly!

Feel to pm/whisper me if you have any questions or just want to chat.
nya

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:06:46 pm »
As far as I recall from other people having this issue, it's either that they've not used some sort of blur tool properly, or more likely that the picture is set or has been saved to 8bits channel instead of 16bits which causes it to be more choppy and blocky.

Don't know where exactly that menu is in Gimp though as I use PS.
Former community manager of FeralHeart

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:07:47 pm »
Running into this problem myself, if you're still having issues with the blending, making the terrain larger (by width, not height), actually seems to smooth it out. Unfortunately though, it screws with your original dimension intentions (lel).

There is a new version of Gimp, 2.9.2.tar.bz2  This new version has an option in the 'Image' drop down menu Right below mode it says "Precision" which allows you to choose which bit your image will be in, 16bit being an option as well as 32bit. The results of choosing 16bit over 8bi are astounding, smudging no longer looks layered but nice and smooth blended.

Unfortunately, however, gimp 2.9 is in the development series and isn't listed under Gimp's official installers. I'm not sure when it's official release will be, but hopefully soon. Now, if you go exploring for it on your own, there are torrents you can download for it, but as I said it's rather unstable and doesn't play nice with windows yet.

You are amazing <3