Author Topic: How do you go about character design?  (Read 5836 times)

Offline Alliieennss

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • O beautiful poison tree, let your power grow in me
    • View Profile
How do you go about character design?
« on: April 25, 2017, 06:47:05 am »

What initially inspires a new character? What goals do you have in mind for your characters? A full story? Casual interactions?
What makes a good character to you? Do you judge other characters harshly or are you pretty lenient?

What do you like in physical design elements? Do you pay more attention to color or form? Do you make a character in the creator before having a story in mind or the other way around?

Offline Azurain

• 🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃
  • Member Of The Season
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 183
  • an actual forest gremlin
    • lark-bird
    • View Profile
Re: How do you go about character design?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 06:52:22 am »
Well, my character Azura was actually just...randomly made. First made her as some sort of wolf thing that was black and purple,
 so basically just based off of my color interests. She had no real backstory or anything like that. Then I randomly changed her into an Undertale OC. That was human. Which was new for me. And then helped build the rp and now she's a fully developed character. My most developed character yet in fact. With a full backstory and everything.

So basically....no I really don't have a certain thing I do to make characters. I just make them. cx

Offline Morgra

• I don't like sand...
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 347
  • Ever been killed by a spider? I was
    • DinksterDaily
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:48:35 am »
Moving this to Game Discussion as the topic's purpose is to discuss and so it would fit well there. ^^

As for me,

What initially inspires a new character
Usually I make a new character because I want something new and fresh for me to be on. It normally comes when I tend to get bored or would like to create something and so I do. I create a character.

What goals do you have in mind for your characters
When I make a character, I first make it just for the looks and nothing more. I don't ever roleplay anymore so they're mostly just a character to hang around on and have as a representation of me in a sense. Fursonas/personas, you could say.

What makes a good character to you?  Do you judge other characters harshly or are you pretty lenient?
A good character to me is a character that is original in it's own way and completely created from the the person's mind. What I mean by that, is I appreciate everyone's sense of creativity when they make a character. That's the magic in it all really. Seeing what everyone can create and having people look different from each other.

What do you like in physical design elements? Do you pay more attention to color or form? Do you make a character in the creator before having a story in mind or the other way around?
I pay a lot of attention to what colors I use and what positions the shape sliders are on. So, both I suppose.
Profile pic by Edolicious

People don't think the universe be like it is, but it do.

Offline Vwang

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 01:18:08 am »
i just make things but they look awful sometimes XD

Offline Ellen11v

• Don't open, blue inside
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 276
  • Bye :)
    • Lousiem
    • EllenPlayz
    • View Profile
    • Global Moderator of an IT server
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:37:35 am »
For each character I create, I like to give them their own theme song! A song that goes very well with the characteristics. My OC,
 Ellen, is known for being a good party animal, and having the vivid colors in her pelt, so I chose to give her the theme song "Take on me" by A-ha.
 Lol :D
And my deathly looking character, Banshee, has "Live and Let Die" by Guns N' Roses. ;D
I don't usually create backstories to my characters, but when I do, I make them long, detailed, and interesting as good as I can do.
There you have it, floof<3
doing what i feel like

Offline Kerriki

• Band Geek
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 371
  • Who needs furniture when you have the floor?
    • Kikiorylandia
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:47:56 pm »
What initially inspires a new character?
Most of my characters were made from me goofing around in the character creator and liking the result

What goals do you have in mind for your characters?
Even though I rarely roleplay, I always try to develop my characters as much as I can to make them interesting in both personality and design

What makes a good character to you? Do you judge other characters harshly or are you pretty lenient?
Creativity and originality, really ^^ I also like seeing people go out of their comfort zone to create really unique designs with "unrealistic" colors, growths, etc
And I don't really judge other characters. Sure, sometimes I'll see designs that are really unique or cliched, but I don't judge the characters themselves or the person who created them. Don't judge a book by its cover, really, because a really cliched design might be backed by a very interesting and developed character

I spend lots of time on both the build/form and the colors/markings of my characters. My characters are all pretty different, but common things among them are large ears (as large as FH's sliders go cx), average-large eyes, small muzzles, wide cheeks (canines), use of horns, and "unrealistic" colors
Normally when creating a character, the design comes first and if I like a design enough to keep it then I'll begin brainstorming the personality and backstory. Sometimes I'll have small ideas in mind long before creating a character (and then pick and choose which of these small things I want in said character), but normally the development comes after I have completed a design
Farewell everyone<3

MoonwalkingZear

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:43:01 pm »
I often think of my interests when creating a character, what plans do I have and what do I desire so to speak. My character Khuighol was based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft, you know the guy that created Cthulhu. I also have a fan TF2 character and like 70% of my characters are anthropomorphic animals.

Offline Morqque

• A Positive Nihilist
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 123
  • In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:56:24 pm »
I am very picky about creating characters and such that I like and stick with me.
Nowadays (theyre all anthro, ye) I base them off different sorts of species such as extinct, endangered, marsupial,
or mythical creatures such as Yokai. Sometimes I base them off of the style of certain avant-garde bands I like.
That is for regular OCs

As for roleplay OCs I mainly create whatever comes to find and or fits into the sort of roleplay that Im in,
Though I still tend to use different species or mixed hybrids

chillout

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 05:34:04 am »
Ooo this is a really good thread.
Here we go, this is gonna be long, just fair warning lol
Tried to make spoilers to help deal with the long answers but the code didn't wanna work :/
Apologies for some walls of text.
____

Many things, really. I'm not a black and white person - everything in life is gray to me, so most answers I give to anything will be "It depends."
In relevance to this question, inspiration can come from TV shows and movies, music and artwork or themes, food and nature. I like using a site called Colour Lovers, which is a place for finding color palettes; type in a keyword, like a theme you want, and you get colors. I don't really ever use the palettes themselves but I take inspiration from them sometimes. I remember one of my old projects, I made a husky character inspired by Danny Phantom; just a silvery husky who happened to be a ghost with missing memories from his living life.
It all depends on the situation and many times I've grown out of characters, such as the one I mentioned (I will always love DP though).
____

What goals do you have in mind for your characters? A full story? Casual interactions?
Also depends, specifically on the character itself. Phantom, the husky, had a story that I never finished cuz it hit a wall, really. Other characters are solely for fun, but have some type of backstory info to give them life. Others, further, like my personas, are a mix. I currently have one 'sona that is me in every aspect of my living personality, and one that is meant to be more serious and spiritual.
____

Before I write anything else, let me just say I don't judge people harshly, because we're all different and have different ideas, but I am going to explain the things I have learned over the years. Now, this is an interesting question because I have a unique response: I'm actually a senior in college and I majored in Media Arts, which includes things like storytelling, animation, concept art, design, 3D, etc. (everyone has specialties). Of course, a major part of this is character design and development.

What makes a good character can be divided into visuals and story.

For visuals, it has to follow some rules of anatomy; you can have a totally made up creature, but it needs to follow nature to some degree. For example, a creature with more than one pair of wings (such as 4-winged angels, etc) would physically be incapable of flight entirely due to how the movement would conflict. Realism must be an aspect, even in a made-up creature. Now, I say "must" but everyone CAN do as they please, I don't make the rules lol. I just find it easier to explain things in terms of how and what I was taught, so I apologize if I sound arrogant, because it's not intended, I promise I'm not a mean person lol.

Further, color theory is a definite must. Whether you have a desaturated, naturally colored character, or a sparkledog, color theory actually is totally necessary. Color theory is a sect of psychology that explains the effect colors have on humans. You could have a super bright character, but if the colors don't match, it's gonna be awkwardly received. Color theory goes into detail of saturation and hue; complimentary colors (those on opposite sides of the color wheel that match), such as red+green, orange+blue, yellow+purple (complimentary colors are actually what creates brown); analogous colors (three colors next to each other on the color wheel that blend), such as red+orange+yellow, green+blue+purple, or blue+purple+red; and finally, the actual effect color creates.
For example: Notice how nearly all fast food restaurants use colors like red and yellow? The reason for this is that these strong colors are passionate and evoking, and when used in that context, subconsciously make a person hungry, so, they pull you in. However, because warm colors are so intense, it makes people uncomfortable after a while, forcing you out eventually..and that's how fast food companies make money - pull people in, and get em out fast to make room for more people.
So, when colors work well, characters work well. Using every color of the rainbow, pure 255 white, or pure 0 black, really isn't something that works, and that's not my opinion, it's just how color theory works. It's all psychological. In fact, in art, it is known that using pure black for linework actually flattens a drawing, which is why some artists use thin, colored lines to match the color of the subject, or go lineless.

Next, is story.
You can have the most beautiful, aesthetically pleasing character in the world, but if there's nothing behind them, they have no purpose. In my storytelling class, we learned that what truly separates a good character from a bad one, is realism and how relatable they are; this is why Mary Sues/Gary Stus are called such - characters that are "perfect" in some manner and have little to no flaws are not realistic, and not relatable. This makes a character hard if not impossible to connect to.
For people to respond and connect to characters, there has to be some form of realism, such as flaws, because no one in real life is perfect. And that's not to say you can't have a super powerful deity character - you can. What would make the difference is whether he/she/it is written as perfect in every aspect, or if their character is written as having, I don't know, greed, or arrogance, for example. The more realistic a character is, the more a reader or watcher can relate to them, and the more the reader/watcher is engrossed in the story. Think of you favorite TV shows or movies. Think about your favorite characters, and why you like them. You'll start to see the exact reason they're successful is because they have some kind of relatable trait(s).
Further, and even more important, is motivation. What is the character doing, and why? If the character has no goal, there is no story to be had. Plots are created on the basis of an action and motivation for that action. Harry Potter's motivation was to go through Hogwarts and stop Voldemort. If he had no motivation, he'd just be a random kid and we'd have no reason to care about him. We have to care about characters for them to be successful, and that goes for ones we hate, too. I always say, "If I hate this character, it's a well-written character." because well-written antagonists will evoke emotion of some form. If a character does not evoke emotion from you, it could be just your preferences of what you enjoy, or the character could just be poorly fleshed out.

I do apologize for the wall of text answer here, but I hope those who read it are actually intrigued by it and don't hate me or think I'm pretenious or anything - I'm simply answering this thread with information I've gathered from observation, experience, and teachings from people who have been in the entertainment industry for 15+ years. I am sorry if anything I said comes off as rude in any form <3
____

I vary in my own preferences. Sometimes I want tall, awe-inspiring characters, other times, small, cute ones. Sometimes I want adorable fat or fluffy characters, other times I want cool, lanky characters.
I actually do sometimes use games' character creators to test design ideas, and color palettes. Normally I draw my own stuff but hey, I have days where I'm lazy or just too tired, you feel? :P
And like with the inspiration question, sometimes I make a character based on a specific thing I want. Whether or not I have a legit story made by then depends, but sometimes, yes, I have the idea before the visuals.
____

Aaaand, yeah..That's it lol.

Again, I am super sorry for the long walls of text, and even more sorry if anything I've said came off as rude, arrogant, or anything of the sort. I hope my answers were a good contribution to this thread.

Ima go hide now.

Offline Chipz

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 07:36:07 am »
This depends on why I am creating the new character; if I am making it for a roleplay/group I will follow what they require {Realistic, colors, genetics etc} but if it is for a fresh face I will simply create until I like them, more often then not I create a lighter shade feline as I am no good at matching darker colors.

What goals do you have in mind for your characters?
Once again it depends but for the sake of having a shorter post I will just talk roleplay characters here. I have been in one or two very genetically accurate groups meaning I had to look as if I was part of the family. Colors were the larger deal, making sure I had them exactly how they needed to be was always fun always and made the group feel that much more sincere.

What makes a good character to you?
A good character to me is something that represents someone/something that means a lot to a person {Including themselves}. When a character has been given a personality much like the creators it gives them a very antithetical feel.

Do you judge other characters harshly or are you pretty lenient?
Unless they have created said character to be mocked I will not judge them even if they are 'Neon'. I have seen it happen fairly often and the person who was using the character had to get a new one because they made the poor person feel unsatisfactory, I don't believe it is very fair, it is basically Feral Hearts racism in my mind.

What do you like in physical design elements?
I personally enjoy large felines in real life so I try to bring this into Feral Heart when creating a new character. I don't usually use many items/modifications {e.g Horns, wings} as I am not to good with roleplaying as a species that I wouldn't be able to study through videography or imagery.

Do you pay more attention to color or form?
I tend to look at both simultaneously. I do this because you'll often find if you have good colors and patterns but if your sizing is off it can look a little odd and vise verser.

Do you make a character in the creator before having a story in mind or the other way around?
More then often I don't have a story in mind first unless I am following roleplay guides. I enjoy playing as the character and slowly building up their story as I get to know them, doing it this way helps you begin a roleplay with out your hands tied.

A little extra I wanted to add about how I made Toast.
Toast was one of the first lion presets I had ever created and was simply a shape and color practice, she was never intended to be my main character but Lace was (I'll add a picture later) as I was really fond of her. Once I had looked at Toast her nose had a heart instead of the triangle I was aiming for and I instantly fell in love, the only problem was I didn't have a name for her when of course my brother came running in with a piece of toast that had a perfect heart burnt in the middle. Toast is deffenantly the figure of me as a person; although her preset has many flaws she disregards them and continues on with her life, she is always out to help always anyone in need and simply just wants cuddles.

~Amazing topic by the way~
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:43:11 am by Chipz »