Author Topic: Transporting a work in progress map  (Read 879 times)

Offline Petalthorn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Transporting a work in progress map
« on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »
I started up a map on my mom's laptop, but she uses it a lot so it's hard to finish. I tried transporting the files so that I could finish it on my computer, but I could not figure out where to go to put it into my file area to work on it. Does anyone know how to do this...if it's even possible. I just want to know if I can transport a work in progress map to a different computer, and continue working on it.

Thanks,

Petalthorn

Offline Viinca

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 27
  • Icon by Ramine ?
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting a work in progress map
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 01:02:53 pm »
It would be tricky, but I don't think it's impossible.

Of course you need to add the Height Map and the Terrain Map as you did before, in your new computer, and if you already had objects in the map you were working on (if they weren't meshes you downloaded and added to your map, if you did you wil have to place those new meshes in the new computer as you did before), I'm not quite sure if they re-apear on not. What have you been able to do so far?

Offline Petalthorn

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
I can get height maps and terrain. It's the meshes that I can't get. I think it's because you have to export all the files out together to get them.

Siskin

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:26:25 am »
To copy your map, follow this steps:

1) Create a new map with the same name on the destionation computer. (this is necessary to bypass a bug that otherwise prevents the map from opening in the map editor)

2) copy got to "[InstalationFolder]\media\terrains" and copy the file called "MapName.map" and the folder called "MapName" from the source computer to the destination one.

3) If your map uses files from other folders, also copy those files in theire respective folders.
Example: if your map uses \media\objects\plants\carnivorousplant.mesh then copy it to \media\objects\plants in the destionation computer.

If you are not sure what other files your map uses, you can simply copy/paste the entire "media" folder. It's safe to allow "overwrite to all".