Author Topic: an idea on how to get less lag?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline isone

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: an idea on how to get less lag?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 02:20:15 am »
I can play crisis on the lowest setting with over 20FPS easily playable but sometimes Feral-Heart gets less than 5FPS on the lowest setting

Offline LunaWolfen

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 05:23:27 am »
I don't have a lot of lag problems despite my terrible connection.  ;D

Offline Eagleify

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
  • I like your flagella.
    • View Profile
    • Eaglify's DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 06:14:12 am »
Even on slow computers, here is something that can speed up FH (or any program, for that matter)

Press Alt+Ctrl+Del, and open the task manager.

Click on the "Processes" tab.

Find the FH process, it will be called FeralHeart.

Right Click on it, and go to Set Priority.

Here, you can choose the priority. Set it on High.

Done!

Some general stuff and a few more tips:
Changing the priority of a process changes the amount od memory your computer dedicates to that task. It works great for speeding up games, browsers, or any program. Set at high priority, even if you have 20 programs running very laggily and slow in the background, FeralHeart will run smoother than everything else. But to maximise the performance, close other programs. (Go into the process tabs in Task Manager again, and look through at the tasks there. A lot of them will be useless, such as Google updaters, and Itunes helpers, little things that continually run in the background and slow down your system. You can end these processes in the task manager. But be careful not to end any processes that you don't know what they are, becuase this could end a vital system process)

Two more things:
~Don't set the priority to Real Time, as this can be dangerous for your system. Basically you are injecting steroids into that process, and your compuer may crash.
~Don't do this if you have a very old computer, as this may make it expend too much RAM. But you can run Crysis, so you will be sweet :)

This WILL NOT completely fix the lag, it is an inevitable part of having 800+ players on one server. But this should help general performance. :)

Hope I helped, and that FH runs better for you.
I'm not active peeps. I've moved on it life, so to say, managing a game community with over a million players. I hope you enjoy my maps, meshes, and presets I made in my time here.

I might be on like once every few months, just to check in. But other than that, Bai!

Offline isone

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 06:31:06 am »
My computer freezes and completely locks up as soon as I select high priority and I have to unplug and plug my computer back in and turn it on again to unfreeze it :(

Offline Eagleify

• Dedicated Supporter
  • I like your flagella.
    • View Profile
    • Eaglify's DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:17 am »
If that is the case, then I would consider getting more RAM. If it can't handle one process on high priority, then either you have way too many programs running or you have far too little RAM. My old laptop that I sometimes use has 2GB of RAM, ATI Radeon 3200 graphics card with 256mb of memory (same as you, I believe) and a 2.1Ghz dual core processor. That laptop can handle FH and other programs such as Skyrim and Photoshop set on High Priority.

And, I saw on another thread that you run Windows 8. I would strongly reccomend getting another OS, W8 is only in it's beta stages, and, as well as being designed for both tablets and computers, will no doubt be filled with bugs.
I'm not active peeps. I've moved on it life, so to say, managing a game community with over a million players. I hope you enjoy my maps, meshes, and presets I made in my time here.

I might be on like once every few months, just to check in. But other than that, Bai!

Offline isone

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 06:47:17 am »
uhh I have 3GB RAM that should be plenty right?

Offline Eagleify

• Dedicated Supporter
  • I like your flagella.
    • View Profile
    • Eaglify's DeviantArt
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 06:50:49 am »
That should be more than enough.
I don't know, all I can think of is problems with Windows 8, as it is unsupported and only in it's Beta version.

Offline isone

• Experienced Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 07:21:21 am »
my computer hates me