Author Topic: My computer is going *explode*. Can I fix it?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline shusuke

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 37
    • View Profile
Re: My computer is going *explode*. Can I fix it?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 05:28:29 am »
Depends on what you do with a computer though.

Regardless of the model it's very easy to wear it down if you aren't careful, either by not maintaining it or by treating it like anything but what it actually is.

My family's little Acer lasted several years, but we always moved the cord around and stuff and it eventually wore out so that we had to get a new cord. A while after that, the Acer got the Black Screen of Death. My sister tried to compress files in attempt to free up space and it wound up compressing a vital startup file.

Right now we have an old Dell Inspiron 1501 that dies when it overheats. That usually happens when I play games that are prettier looking than a Nintendo 64 for a long time or have numerous demanding programs running. The processor isn't the best but it's the cooling system that kills it most of the time, and that cooling system will wear out my computer faster than just keeping an eye on it and shutting it down when it starts to get warm.

There's also the fact that I go out to restaurants that have free internet every other day for lunch when I go out on my walks [at least on days when I'm not in class, days I'm in class I go in the evening for dinner], and there's the chance that bending the cord around will wear it out from constantly wrapping/unwrapping it, and the computer to get dirtier often by being put into a makeshift bag and carted around anywhere.

So when it comes to getting a new comp, it doesn't really matter what you want to do with it or what kind of brand you want, but you want a brand that will be durable enough for your own schedule as well. At least that's how I see it.

Offline Cecilia~

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
  • wwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »
If you're big into gaming, I recommend PC. Barely any heating issues in my opinion, and, you can buy parts with decent specs for the price of usually 200-300$. Though putting together your own PC is quite tough, especially when it's something new, so I actually have yet to do so myself.

Not ALL laptops are bad, however. Average specs would usually be 400-600$. They can run almost any PC game fine, but, like I said before, never buy a Dell! Dell computers have terrible cooling systems. Heck, my Acer netbook lasted longer than my Dell laptop x)

Next time you ever get a laptop, be sure to blow the fans and vents out every now and then with compressed air or something of the sort, it contributes a little. You can also buy a cooling pad, they have 1 large fan, or 3 small fans in them and you put your laptop on it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 02:17:44 am by Luzxia »
i dont know anything ever at any time

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 01:38:56 am »
I get those blue screen errors a lot on my Toshiba satellite and it's not a year old yet. Have you brought it to a computer shop yet? Maybe they can check it out for you.
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline Brokami

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 01:41:43 am »
Toshibas are generally pretty reliable, I second that. My old Toshiba netbook put up with everything I threw at it. Towards the end of it's life, there was no plastic on the screen, it was just the metal mount. Wires were hanging out at the hinge, and the keyboard was bent and busting out of the case.

And the thing worked like a charm.