Author Topic: Feeling a Little Out of Place Here  (Read 2747 times)

Offline RedWine

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
    • View Profile
Feeling a Little Out of Place Here
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:12:46 am »
I've just recently been getting back into FH. It's been a while, maybe a year or two, since I was last active on here. I noticed there's a lot more roleplaying now. Whenever I'm ingame, that's pretty much all it is. I remember there being a few areas where people would just chill out chat instead of roleplay, but now there's almost no OOC chatting anywhere. The other day when I got on, it kind of bothered me that no body would reply to me at all, even when the maps were packed with people.

I was trying to ask a few questions for input on how many people would be interested in this or that for character customization. I did have one person reply to me after a long while, but I feel like their reply kind of struck me down in a way and pretty much said "what you're making is useless because someone already made that." They were trying to be nice when they gave me their comment, at least. What they said just happened to really bothered me regardless of their attempt to be kind.

Anyway. It's been a long time. I feel like all this game is now is roleplaying. I'm not much of a roleplayer because I feel like my form of roleplaying isn't good enough, so to speak, and I'm also very shy. Upon mentioning that I don't roleplay ingame, I've been noticing posts around the forum naming groups of people "noobs" and "illiterates," labels I'm guessing that are being placed on those who don't roleplay (please correct me if I'm wrong). Well, I don't roleplay, and for my own reasons. I'd rather create things for other players to enjoy and help give them a better experience. Seeing these labels makes me think I'm being looked down upon ingame because I'm not roleplaying and trying to talk OOC.

Is there no place for people like me who just want to talk to others ingame or ask active players what they would like to have as far as objects, items, maps, and textures to enhance their roleplaying experience?

Btw, I also think the word illiterate, which is now apparently a label to be slapped on other players round FH like a sticker, is very much being used incorrectly... Please look up the definition of that word if you are confused about what I'm trying to say. I believe the word "non-roleplayer" would suffice for those who don't roleplay.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:59:02 am by Aria »

Offline Lionzue

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Everything's cool--It's the future!
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling a Little Out of Place Here
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:27:40 am »
Yeah. I know I haven't been here long, but really, really long ago one of my sister's liked this game, I believe, and I'd watch and it seemed a lot more, well, OOC.
Now it's roleplay and I sometimes try to spark a non-roleplay convo and I get one or two short sentences.
That's why I never roleplay and sit and watch others, I prefer OOC.
So pour the champagne, pour the champagne...

Offline opticker

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Otaku
    • View Profile
    • Nyan
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:36 am »
Yah, I feel the same way, when I returned to FH, I was bombarded by nothing but RP, a good place to look is northpole or bonfire island, as rp there is damn near impossible with the amount of players there. But don't give up on us, there are still some of us who remember the good old days ^_^

Offline RedWine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:11:48 am »
Now it's roleplay and I sometimes try to spark a non-roleplay convo and I get one or two short sentences.
That's why I never roleplay and sit and watch others, I prefer OOC.

Hey, at least you got something. xD And that's pretty much all I do. May not be what I prefer, but it's all I can do since I can't get anyone to talk.

But don't give up on us, there are still some of us who remember the good old days ^_^

Don't worry. c: I wasn't planning on giving up. I did try Bonfire Island, actually. It was the first place I went to. From what I saw, it was jam packed and yet people were still trying to roleplay, lol... I'll have to go see the Northpole though. I'm also starting to wonder if getting on at a certain time of the day matters.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:24:23 am by Aria »

Offline opticker

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Otaku
    • View Profile
    • Nyan
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:30:35 am »

Don't worry. c: I wasn't planning on giving up. I did try Bonfire Island, actually. It was the first place I went to. From what I saw, it was jam packed and yet people were still trying to roleplay, lol... I'll have to go see the Northpole though. I'm also starting to wonder if getting on at a certain time of the day matters.

Yah that will definitely help.

Offline darkknight

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • Ask Questions
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
I've just recently been getting back into FH. It's been a while, maybe a year or two, since I was last active on here. I noticed there's a lot more roleplaying now. Whenever I'm ingame, that's pretty much all it is. I remember there being a few areas where people would just chill out chat instead of roleplay, but now there's almost no OOC chatting anywhere. The other day when I got on, it kind of bothered me that no body would reply to me at all, even when the maps were packed with people.
Whether you're a role-player or not, the game can be enjoyable for anyone and everyone. There really is no place to feel like you don't belong. Even though the mass majority of people like to role-play, doesn't mean you have to feel out of place. From the other perspective, people who come online and role-play like to escape reality, for some, it's their only means of escape. Often times, they would find it either bothersome or rude to be reminded of Out-Of-Character subjects like items, objects, family, etc. Some people, that's all they do in a day is work on meshes and other in-game media. The occasional break from all of it is healthy.

I was trying to ask a few questions for input on how many people would be interested in this or that for character customization. I did have one person reply to me after a long while, but I feel like their reply kind of struck me down in a way and pretty much said "what you're making is useless because someone already made that." They were trying to be nice when they gave me their comment, at least. What they said just happened to really bothered me regardless of their attempt to be kind.
The person seems rude to me. Even though, they suggest the customization has already been done before, so have many others. People are always influenced by another artist's work and then make something that's their own, while still being original. As long as you make something that's custom and on you own, go with it, see how it turns out. If it just so happens that someone else had the same idea, don't let it bother you too much. As they say, great minds think alike, it's bond to happen that way somehow. 

Anyway. It's been a long time. I feel like all this game is now is roleplaying. I'm not much of a roleplayer because I feel like my form of roleplaying isn't good enough, so to speak, and I'm also very shy. Upon mentioning that I don't roleplay ingame, I've been noticing posts around the forum naming groups of people "noobs" and "illiterates," labels I'm guessing that are being placed on those who don't roleplay (please correct me if I'm wrong). Well, I don't roleplay, and for my own reasons. I'd rather create things for other players to enjoy and help give them a better experience. Seeing these labels makes me think I'm being looked down upon ingame because I'm not roleplaying and trying to talk OOC.
As far as feeling like the only one who likes to just chat or have a conversation, there always people who would love to simply talk, if you approach them the right way. As you referred to yourself as being shy, you can just gradually practice in being social with others. There were many days where I would sit in the middle of a map, just watch people role-play and talk. If I was just going to sit there, I might as well not be online, lol. Join in, have a time, it's as simple as saying, "Hello" and work your way from there. Even if the conversation is short, it's a start.     

Added, non-roleplayer would be an appropriate term for people who do not role-play. Noob and illiterate are some of the many labels that are often used incorrectly when addressing others, but that's another discussion. ~
Image © Mikita Kavalenka

Offline RedWine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:03 am »
Thanks for the reply, FoxPhilosopher.

From the other perspective, people who come online and role-play like to escape reality, for some, it's their only means of escape. Often times, they would find it either bothersome or rude to be reminded of Out-Of-Character subjects like items, objects, family, etc. Some people, that's all they do in a day is work on meshes and other in-game media. The occasional break from all of it is healthy.
I see what you're saying. I wasn't trying to be rude, though. I traveled to a few areas inside the game where a lot of people were and made one or two lines, then waited to see if anyone would reply.

As far as feeling like the only one who likes to just chat or have a conversation, there always people who would love to simply talk, if you approach them the right way. As you referred to yourself as being shy, you can just gradually practice in being social with others. There were many days where I would sit in the middle of a map, just watch people role-play and talk. If I was just going to sit there, I might as well not be online, lol. Join in, have a time, it's as simple as saying, "Hello" and work your way from there. Even if the conversation is short, it's a start.
Most of the time when I'm ingame, I have a hard time finding people who just want to chat in the first place. At lease I finally found a place where some people go to talk, thanks to the help of Opticker. I have been trying to say hello in that area every now and then. The conversations are very short, but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Offline unnbrellas

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 68
  • "fight me" i scream from under my bed
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:07 am »
I agree what with Fox said. But if your looking just to chat, Skys Rim can be really great :)

Formerly MochaCocoa; Find me ingame as ErikaFishhy!
Signature by ???????????�??

wolfdog01

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:27:50 am »
I'm almost always at Bonfire (dun know why, it's so darn laggy >.<) and there are always people there willing to talk :) You just have to speak up or just do something random! :D If you compliment a person in a certain way they are more than likely going to start talking because they are just as bored as you are.