Author Topic: Heights maps! How do you make them?!  (Read 2131 times)

Offline SteampunkWolfdog

• That British Snob
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 157
    • ClockworkCarnivore
    • felislupus
    • @charliehowls2
    • View Profile
Re: Heights maps! How do you make them?!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 02:28:48 pm »
Well i don't want gimp because almost everything i download comes with a virus and malwerebytes won't work anymore so no thanks

I promise you Gimp won't give you a virus or anything bad like that. I've downloaded and many other people have too and they haven't reported any viruses.
If you download things from the right place they mostly won't have any viruses, malware etc. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

But if you really don't want to I can understand; I had a virus on my laptop once and...well, let's just say it didn't go down well with the father...

Did you say you were doing this on Paint?
Well, I don't use it very often, but I think you click on the drop down menu, where it gives you options like 'New' and 'Save'. Go to 'Properties', and a new window should come up. Under a heading 'Colors' there should be two options: 'Black and white' and 'Color'. Select the 'Black and white' option. Ta da! your image should be greyscale.

I knew about greyscale in paint but i'm talking about Paint tool SAI

Ah...Well I don't know what that is, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Sorry, chick :(

Preset (Updated 3/1/17)

(Formerly SpiritSilverWolf)

Offline Tokoa

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 33
  • Orange.
    • View Profile
    • http://tokoas.deviantart.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 05:25:48 am »
Gimp is a 100% safe program and can be trusted as Flob said but its just fine to work with another program you know well.
I myself have no idea how to work Paint Tool Sai but maybe you can look up videos on how to work with it?

Icon by Aveo and sig by WingsandFeathers on DeviantArt.

Offline Blackeme99

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • My Avatar is My FeralHeart Character Shaden :3
    • View Profile
    • Canines
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 11:19:21 pm »
Well i tried doing it in paint... It didn't work

I followed all the steps but it won't work when i try to put it in fh

In the game, My username is Blackeme99.

Offline WhiteLightHeart

• iTrumpet~<3
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 230
  • Seems legit
    • WhiteLightHeart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 11:49:48 pm »
Well i tried doing it in paint... It didn't work

I followed all the steps but it won't work when i try to put it in fh
Well, Silv, it's because FH heightmaps only work when you design them using GIMP or Photoshop. As it's been said before, GIMP is your best bet (since Photoshop isn't free). While it's perfectly understandable for you to be concerned about downloading programs from the internet, I recommend that you speak with your parents, run a scan on the GIMP download (on their site), and it will show you that thousands of people download this program every day. It's very reliable, trustworthy, and the fact that so many people have downloaded it previously shows that it's unlikely that it's a dangerous source.
So, if you do get viruses, it certainly won't be from GIMP.
And, of course, it will allow you to make heightmaps that FH will render for you.

However, if you are absolutely unable to download GIMP, then, if you're comfortable with it, you can PM me your heightmap, and I can save it in GIMP, myself. Then, once it's saved that way, I can PM it back to you, and you can use it that way.

Still, though. You'd be much better off considering GIMP, floofer~
|| ~Avatar by Kikiorylandia, Sig commissioned by Wolf_Memories~ ||
|| Thank you. <3 ||