Author Topic: Help me with some models?  (Read 1951 times)

Offline barleydog

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Help me with some models?
« on: December 05, 2013, 04:54:24 am »
Hello, I know this might seem a little off-topic to be in the game help board, but I didn't really know where else to put it. If this needs to be moved elsewhere just please inform me before doing so that way I can find it again  :). Anyways, down to the subject. I've recently agreed to make some character models for a WIP stray dog MMORPG called Decoder Hounds (I think there's a thread about it in Other Games).  The game will have customizable characters in which you can change the ear type, tail type, and muzzle type to your liking. I kept on thinking about the models, how do I make models so that they can be editted in a character creator with different body parts, a lot like changing the ears or tail on your character in Feralheart. Do I need to have a specific format to be able to switch them out in-game? Or do I have to make a model for each different part? I use Sculptris to create models while I will get someone else to convert them into Blender.  I'd really, really appreciate it if someone could explain this to me.

~Echo (aka claypaw)

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
Re: Help me with some models?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:01:08 am »
Are you asking to take the FeralHeart Canine models out of FeralHeart and put them into your own game?
You cannot do that, that's against the copy right rules if I'm correct. If you didn't mean this, then please explain it a bit more clearly. I could've actually missed something really obvious xD

~Starry
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:09:01 am by ~Stargazer~ »

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline barleydog

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:23:23 am »
Nope, I will be creating entirely new models from scratch. No FeralHeart models or items will be used. I just need to know how the Feralheart models were created so that you could have interchangeable ears and stuff. Sorta like the format. I need someone to explain it. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough  :-\

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:39:47 pm »
Ah, I understand you now.
Although I don't really know what they did, I would suggest PMing a mod or admin.
But even they might not know the answer.
The games creator, KovuLKD, left long ago in 2011 I believe.
Now one really knows why he left but it's not really our business anyway. He has his reasons.
But he was the one who created the models so only he would know what program he used.
PMing an admin or mod would be the best thing to do at this point.
But don't expect any luck.

~Starry

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.

Offline ringoluver

• Delay's Nop.
  • Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 227
    • ringoluver
    • lavenderdaze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:20:45 pm »
That requires extensive knowledge of coding, which is something you should have before taking on a project like that. You can do your own research into coding, but as far as I know it's very complicated and difficult. We mods know very little about coding (unless someone is hiding their knowledge from me), so asking us is probably not the best course of action.

Signature Art by Bawfle, Icon Art by Edolicious

Offline DevXVI

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
  • These memories won't fade
    • EventineXVI
    • DevXVI
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 02:31:56 am »
You'll have to be able to do coding, texturing, modeling, and much more. It isn't that easy.

Signature by HellVix

Offline barleydog

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 03:34:20 am »
I will simply be modeling the base for the dog model, something I know how to do. Other Game designers on the forum will code, texture, etc.  It's fine if the GDs from Feralheart can't help, I understand. Anyways, thanks for the advice.

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:13:34 am »
It's in the coding that allows you to use different ears, tails, tufts, markings etc. You would need to start out modeling the base model - the canine. Use that as a guide to create different ears and other parts then remove the base model and save each different model separately.

I would recommend using the program Ogre Meshy: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/Ogre+Meshy

When/If you install it I would suggest taking a look in the Feralheart >> Media >> Models folder and opening the different ear.mesh, mane.mesh and tail.mesh files to get a good idea :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:05:32 pm by Ingredient »
Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Offline barleydog

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 05:44:46 am »
Ahh ok, I get it! Thanks Ingredient!!! I'll definitely try that out :)

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 07:25:49 am »
Glad I could help ^^ I wish you luck!
Will be inactive due to work and exams.