Author Topic: Adding More Than One Texture to a Mesh? ...A Little Help?  (Read 2054 times)

Offline The Pumpkin King

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
Adding More Than One Texture to a Mesh? ...A Little Help?
« on: April 22, 2014, 11:16:37 pm »
Hoping this thread doesn't post twice...

I am currently making a few meshes and I would like to know how to texture a mesh that has more than one texture to it? Right now I can only use one and I have a mesh that used ten textures so...

And when I use one of the textures, that one texture just replaced the rest of the mesh where the others should be.

This texture is only for his face but yet it goes on the rest of his body and I don't have any other options to add all the others.

Any help?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:26:21 pm by The Pumpkin King »

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Adding More Than One Texture to a Mesh? ...A Little Help?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:59:59 pm »
I'm no expert, in fact I've never made or textured a mesh. But it would only seem sensible to try ^^ In whatever you used to make (or convert) the mesh, make sure each part is seperated? Perhaps because it's all one blob rather than seperated into different layers, the texture doesn't know where else to go. Usually, in meshes with more than one texture, there will be an arrow next to the Material: box. Once clicked it shows the different textures used on the different parts of the mesh. Not sure if this helped at all, but it's all I could think of to try and look into.

You are amazing <3

Offline The Pumpkin King

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:34:38 pm »
Thank you for trying to help me.

I'm not really sure what you're telling me, though. I just leave the mesh as it is and convert it into a .mesh file. And yeah, I've been trying to make that button show up but I can't seem to figure it out.

Offline Bloo.

• Space-Child ✌
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 191
  • nyoom
    • Bloopaloozer
    • Bloopalooza FH
    • aLittleProzium
    • Bloopalooza
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:25:38 pm »
Did you download the mesh from a website then convert it? Where did you get the model from?

You are amazing <3

Offline The Pumpkin King

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
I found the Oogie Boogie mesh off http://www.models-resource.com/

Thierry

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55:16 pm »
All meshes can have sub-meshes, and each mesh or submesh can have only 1 material.
If the converted mesh is only one mesh without any sub-meshes, then the little arrows won't appear.

When you are converting the mesh, at importing you need to ensure the 3D model gets imported with each object separated.
If you are using blender, At importing ensure you select the option "separate objects by Group" or if it does not work, try with "separate objects by Material"

At exporting in the options you need to ensure to export 1 sub-mesh for each object in the scene, or to export 1 sub-mesh per material in the scene.

The Oogie Boogie 3D obj model came with the next 10 objects groups, each one with a different material, so you can have the model correctly exported if all is done correctly.

Mesh.009_rdmobj05
Mesh.008_rdmobj04
Mesh.007_rdmobj07
Mesh.006_rdmobj06
Mesh.005_rdmobj01
Mesh.004_rdmobj00
Mesh.003_rdmobj03
Mesh.002_rdmobj02
Mesh.001_rdmobj09
Mesh_rdmobj08

Offline The Pumpkin King

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:17 pm »
Okay I see the option to separate the objects by group but I can't export it into a .mesh file because Blender isn't giving me the option to do that.

why am I having this much trouble with texturing a mesh jesus christ

Thierry

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 02:43:18 am »
Try to set a diferent material name to each object in your scene, this works for me on 3dsmax 8