Author Topic: Game crashes upon importing heightmap? (solved)  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Eeveelover584

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1
  • Avatar and siggie don't belong to me.
    • View Profile
Game crashes upon importing heightmap? (solved)
« on: June 08, 2014, 04:26:56 am »
Umm, so I have this weird new problem. I wanted to make a map of my own so I followed the instructions on the Heightmap part of the manual, then I made the heightmap and then the territory mask, then I got this problem that made the game crash before it even reaches the title screen. I uninstalled then re-installed (which worked) then I went over to Map Maker. I quickly typed in the heightmap file name exactly as it was written, and the instant I clicked away, the screen turned white, (thankfully I didn't put it on fullscreen) and a window popped up saying something like:

"FeralHeart.exe has stopped working
Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

...something like that. After that was done it said:

FeralHeart.exe has stopped working"
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

After that I clicked close program and of course, the window closed. I loaded the game again, but it was back at the ogre setup, I did that stuff blah blah blah, I clicked right over to Tools, Map Maker, I loaded the Efimia file (efimia is the name of the map I was making) and tried to import the heightmap again, and the same thing happened. I tried again and again and again but it still crashed upon importing.

I made sure that it was set to grayscale and no colors other than black, gray, and white were used, and the Alpha Channel thing was turned off. Just, here's some details of the heightmap file:
File Size=266,161
Image Size: 1000x1000
Type: .png
And it's in the little folder named Efimia that I saved from the game itself. Oh, and the territory mask works just fine. The only problem is the heightmap...

So, umm, yeah. I need help on this problem, because I didn't waste like 3 hours of my life for nothing.

Pwetty pwease?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:44:44 am by Crystal »

In-game as Eeveelover584

Aicosu125

Re: Game crashes upon importing heightmap?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 04:34:41 am »
1. Make sure the images are 513x513 pixels.
2. titled [mapName]Terrain.png or [mapName]Mask.png
3. (Like #2) make sure the images are .png files.
4. Be sure to keep everything on one single layer when making your Terrain & Mask

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 04:35:56 am »
If you keep trying to type the heightmap into the mapmaker, it may crash if certain things weren't done correctly such as:
~513x513
~grayscale
~no alpha channel
~only one layer
~named "mapnameTerrain"
Hmm, what program did you use to make this? Also, did you use many different brush types? Sometimes Feral Heart cannot render very complicated maps, so maybe flattening it out a bit could help. Also try changing your rendering system. That might help. c: I hope you find a solution to this! I'll defiantly look for something else that may help ya'.

Offline Eeveelover584

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:44:02 am »
Oof. I forgot to resize the image to 513x513 O.O Well, I just did it, saved, and it worked.... -meanwhile, my stalk-king stepbrother faceplants as he reads this-

:D Thank both of you for mentioning the 513x513 img size detail! Otherwise I would have thrown my computer out the window trying to solve this... anyway. Thank you. :3

Uhh, now that this is solved, could someone please lock this thread? o.o
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:45:53 am by Crystal »

In-game as Eeveelover584

AlphaEclipse

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 04:45:28 am »
Oof. I forgot to resize the image to 513x513 O.O Well, I just did it, saved, and it worked.... -meanwhile, my stalk-king stepbrother faceplants as he reads this-

:D Thank both of you for mentioning the 513x513 img size detail! Otherwise I would have thrown my computer out the window trying to solve this... anyway. Thank you. :3
Glad it is fixed. xD I'm terrible with maps.

Offline Eeveelover584

• Curious Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Game crashes upon importing heightmap? (solved)
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 04:47:22 am »
I think we're all terrible at everything and we don't even know it. o.o

-meanwhile, my step-dad faceplants as well as my stalk-king stepbrother-

In-game as Eeveelover584

Aicosu125

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:06:24 am »

Uhh, now that this is solved, could someone please lock this thread? o.o

Your welcome for the help, hun. A staffer will lock this post once the see this and that the issue has been resolved.