Author Topic: Lion King- Babyish?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline forks

• tiny silverware enthusiast
  • Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 60
  • icon by reudiart
    • soupforks
    • View Profile
Lion King- Babyish?
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:56:03 pm »
Ok so I am a huge fan of TLK and people in my class are saying its for babies
Me: You like lion king?
My friend: Welll... erm...
The guy I sit beside: It's for babies
My friend: Yeah....
Me: What? What's wrong with you people?
Lion King isn't for babies, is it? I know most of us here on FH love it and we are like preeteens and teens and almost teens and stuff. So why?? Its not fair... TLK is NOT for babies, right? Gimme your opinion on this.

signature by g0thic_vibes1

AlphaEclipse

Re: Lion King- Babyish?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 02:14:12 pm »
For babies? Defiantly not only babies.

I think they are saying that because it's an animated Disney film, and most animated Disney films are for children, or at least aimed that them. Now, I think The Lion King is different because of it's story/plot. Also, remember that scene with the stampede and Mufasa's death? I'm not sure if all children would find that sweet. Also, the hyenas' revenge on Scar.

Offline LordSuragaha

• The Karen Slayer
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 1052
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:17:11 pm »
There's nothing wrong with liking cartoons or anime etc. The Lion King was made so that it would be acceptable for children to watch but adults as well as kids enjoy it just as much. Remember it's adults who are making these films lol. Are they babies for having a career on animation etc? Are they babies because they love what they create themselves? Nope. The real babies are the people who are not mature enough to enjoy the movie for what it is without criticizing it like that. The film is even acted out on Broadway and theaters across NYC over here and the main people I see buying those tickets to watch are adults. The people acting out the parts are adults lol. I don't see why some people act like the moment you grow up a few years you can no longer enjoy cartoons. Animation is just another form of expression.

Also think about the story itself. Many of the themes portrayed in the film can relate to any age but most specifically adults. The whole aspect of betrayal, death, rivalry are adult themes. Some people probably consider the film to be for babies simply because it's been censored and the themes are simplified to teach children a lesson.

I say if you enjoy watching the films keep on enjoying it because plenty other people do and that doesn't make them a baby. I'm pretty sure some of those people bad mouthing you play video games at home or do other things some would consider childish too. What makes you happy is all that matters.

I have no shame saying I'm 23 and I still enjoy all the old Disney classic animation films and still love watching cartoons and anime today. I love the Lion King as well because I grew up with it and at my age now I can watch the films with different eyes and see things I would have never noticed as a child.

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »
I have to agree with Alpha and Suragaha.
Thought the movie(s) may be aimed towards a younger audience, does not make them "for babies".
I know many adults and teens who find it both interesting and intriguing, so don't think that its just for children.
~Shay
pm for free art i need practice

wolfdog01

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 04:03:51 pm »
Everyone that I have talked to loves the movie to death, and every time we ask a person if they've seen it and if they say no, we do this dramatic gasp and shuffle away together. Like the three that have spoken above me, it is not dead set on being a children's movie or else it would be a bit more cheerful and I don't think nearly as beautiful. It would also have some learning things in it maybe, like ABC's or numbers or something. And heck, even TLK 2 was dramatic, just look at the song My Lullaby, I am pretty sure that wasn't childish, or like the ones above me said, the Mufasa death scene. I still can't watch that without crying, and I'm positive if that was supposed to be in a child's show it would have either gotten banned or Disney would have gotten sued. I think your friends may be a little bit judgey on anything that's Disney, because it's really known for little kids. Trust us, TLK is NOT a baby show specifically, it was made for people of all ages to enjoy. ^^

Offline Stuck in Limbo

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • The Paradise Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 12:20:40 pm »
The Lion King is not for babies, actually in my opinion it's one of the more adult of the animated movies from Disney since it is based off of Hamlet, one of the most mature plays by William Shakespeare. And like people said before the stampede scene and Mufasa's death are probably the more mature moments and when the hyenas have their revenge on Scar. So no it is not babyish in my opinion.

Tomoko ?

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 02:36:59 pm »
The Lion King, as well as other Disney movies, is more aimed at families with some parts for the kids and other parts for the adults. I doubt that a baby/toddler would understand what was going on, and probably would be too scared to watch the movie after the Be Prepared song or Mufasa's death.

People just make the connection of Disney animated movies = for babies. Two people told my friend and I that Frozen was only for babies, so I responded with "Well it wouldn't make so much money if only babies watched it," and the same can kinda be said for the Lion King. Before Frozen Lion King was the 'king' (PUNS) of Disney movies I believe, they can't make that money off of babies only.

So no, the Lion King is my favorite movie, and I don't think it's for babies.