Author Topic: Meshes appear, doesn't recognize Mat file  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Ladywolfrose

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Meshes appear, doesn't recognize Mat file
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:01:52 pm »
I've been a member for a while but just recently played with map making. For what I'm looking for, I had to download a bunch of new meshes. The first time around, most of them(all but one) uploaded perfectly and looked great on the screen. Then some issues happened and I had to re-install.  I located and downloaded all of the right packs, but when I put/extracted them in, the exact way I did before (all in Media>objects), all of the meshes would load but they the game wouldn't register the Mat files, and kept displaying them with 'basewhite'. I tried a different mat file that was default, and it didn't register it, either! The only one that looks okay is the one that didn't work in the first place. 
I'm confused.  I've browsed through a few pages of help topics and it doesn't seem like this has been much of an issue for anyone else.
I have also tried dropping all of the extracted files into "My_Objects", and then only placing meshes in there and moving the Mat files to "material" folder in "Media".  Neither of these work, or did the first time.
First time I downloaded new meshes, I simply placed all of the files directly into "Objects" and they worked perfectly. 

This is really upsetting, considering I'm having to put a hold on a pack of maps for an RP I'm starting until I have these things. 
Any help is appreciated!

Aicosu125

Re: Meshes appear, doesn't recognize Mat file
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 10:07:02 pm »
Be sure that the material file knows what mesh it's supposed to be with.

Offline Ladywolfrose

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:58 pm »
Thank you for responding so quickly!  I'm still a noob at this.  If they don't know, how do I correct that? 

Aicosu125

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:22:26 pm »
You can open the material file in Note Pad and edit it.

Aicosu125

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 10:24:02 pm »
But if that doesn't work, it may have something to deal with the .mesh file. I'm not to sure about the mesh files :/

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »
what are you writing in the "materials" box?

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline Ladywolfrose

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:33:44 pm »
Edit it in note pad?  I'll try it. 
Isn't it kinda weird though that they're all doing that?  Maybe I'm just missing something.
Usually when it pulls up the mesh, the material automatically loads. But with the 'base white' I'll usually just try RockMat and it pulls the "Can't locate" thing. 
I'm going to keep messing with it.  Its tedious but good practice, I guess.
Thanks so much guys! 
<3

Offline Spottedbears

• Dedicated Supporter
  • Floof-O-Meter: 41
  • mister sandman, bring me a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:11 am »
yes, with some you must texture them yourself. the material box is case sensitive, so here are the materials you can type in for rocks:

rockMat
rockMat1
rockMat2
rockMat3
rockMat4
rockMat5
rockMat6

they won't work if you don't capitalize the "M" and leave the "r" lowercase. i think your problem has to do with this, seeing as what you just said :>

Art by me!
DA: Chrome-domey
Tumblr: Cassiopirate
Need preset, animating, or map help? PM me!

Offline Ruby1234

• Mean Tutorial Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 297
  • aka Phloxenfree.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 04:39:07 pm »
Aye, the material blank is case-sensitive.
But also, you can only assign a material to a mesh via a program like Blender, so don't worry about that if you aren't using Blender. (Plus it sounds like they were already assigned.)
Just try doing whatever worked last time, maybe extract them again. But if they don't work by default, then you'll have to put them in manually. ;u;