Author Topic: Neo's Mumbled & Jumbled Thoughts - Literacy  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Neowulf

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • Somewhere, in an alternate universe...
    • View Profile
Neo's Mumbled & Jumbled Thoughts - Literacy
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:19:55 pm »
Okay, so. You have likely come here to hear my words on literacy. But first, understanding the typical structure of FeralHeart roleplaying is required.
Poor Roleplayer, fig 1. - growls & leeps on other wolf kiling him instently
Roleplayer Improving, fig. 2 - *he growls and leaps on other wolf killing him instantly*
Seen above are the first stages of improvement as seen from my perspective. First, you may notice improper spelling and grammar. Then, before Fig 2, say someone came up and lectured him. He'd ragingly oblige, and improve his spelling. Then in fig 2, you may notice he uses borders.
Roleplayer Improving, Fig. 3 - -he growls and pounces on the other wolf, killing him-
Notice the improvement of a poor roleplayer. For the purposes of this demonstration, this person started at the lowest level of the totem that is "percieved roleplay literacy" in my terms.
Roleplayer Improving, Fig. 4 - -He growls, pouncing on the other wolf and killing him. You had no right on my territory.-
Roleplayer Imrpoving, Fig. 5 - -He growls, pouncing on the other wolf and killing him.- You didn't listen, you didn't leave.
Okay, enough with the figs. This is improving to Semi-Poor roleplaying from Poor Roleplaying. It can be slow, or an overnight process, but overnight processes happen about once or twice in a while. STORY TIME!
By the way, if you haven't heard of the map Ember Island, I IMPLORE you to get it. It's just amazing.

So, there I was in my Semi-Literate form looking for a group. I came across a group stationed in Ember Island, and I asked to join. I made a cat, thinking it was a warriors group, then I stood corrected and turned the character to a wolf-- But it crashed. So I made a straight-up new character and returned. The group leader, who for the sake of user anonymity will simply be called "Vortex," took a group sample and said no. I wasn't "literate" enough. This was the day, the day that I decided to become "literate" to most roleplayers. (For the sake of fixing the term to be correct, I will post an overhaul on my Slang? thread) I drilled it into my head to remove the borders to everything but character speech, and using quotation marks. This is the overnight process. And the very next day, as it seems, I became "literate."

Why is this term wrong?
Because literate doesn't mean you write roleplay like it's a book. It means "able to read or write." I was actually literate since past age 5 or so, but not very good at either(I doubt anyone wants to hear that, so if you want to, just PM.) Now, what is my proposed alternative? Well, the term would need a bit of ironing out so it would not be offensive whatsoever, but the highest notch would be "Book-Style Roleplay" and the bottom would be something along the lines of "Instagram Roleplay" or "Poor Roleplay." Again, it needs ironing out.

Under this spoiler >
These will be done later, sorry!
there are some more figs to look at. Kay? Kay.
Wolfspeaker Figs >
Roleplayer Wolfspeak "Improvement," Fig. 1 - -The brute leapt on the other wolf, pillars pinning it down.-
RPer Wolfspeak Trail, Fig. 2 - -The brute's daggers flexed as he leapt onto the intruder brujo.- Leave.
RPer Wolfspeak Trail, Fig. 3 - -The brute's daggers sank into the derm of the brujo, causing pain.- "Leave."
RPer Wolfspeak Trail, Fig. 4 - The brute's daggers sank into the derm of the brujo, causing pain. "Leave, now." His banner stood high as he fought, ivories clamping on the boa of the intruding brujo.
RPer Wolfspeak Trail, Fig. 5 - The brute sank his daggers into the derm of the intruding brujo, unleashing pain. "Leave my territory." He sank his ivories into the wulf's(This word I find offensive because I'M NEOWULF!) boa, clavicling(This is not an actual wolfspeak word yet) him so he died.
Wolfspeaker Ad - ~The Wolfs of NZ~ Litarat, realistic, sitted wolf group. Whisper HomerRules an RP sample 2 join.
A Roleplay Sample Rejection - AstraLupe<< The lupine entity crouched down, stalking a rabbit for a few minutes. His tail remained low so as to not alert it to his presence before he leapt, crashing down upon the rabbit and killing it. He gorged himself on the carcass.
AstraLupe>> You're not litarat enough, tard. Stoopid ilitarats.
AstraLupe<< Excuse me?
AstraLupe>> Are you deaf, or just plane stoopid? I said u aren't litarat enuf.
AstraLupe<< Wolfspeaker.
Blocked AstraLupe.
Autohitter Figs >
AutoHit path, Fig 1. -The wolf leapt on the other wolf, killing him instantly-
AutoHit path, Fig 2. -The wolf leapt on the intruder, causing him to instantly be deceased. He was confronted by the other's mate- He didn't leav my teritory.
AutoHit path, Fig 3. -The wolf leapt on the intruder, causing him to instantly be deceased. He was confronted by the other's mate.- "He didn't leave my territory." -He complained.-
AutoHit path, Fig 4. The wolf leapt on the intruder, causing him to instantly be deceased. He was confronted by the other's mate. "He didn't leave my territory!" He spat the word 'he' like it was tasteless gum.
AutoHitter's Group Roleplay Post, followed by complaints(Using an ex. character, group based off Unchained because I had no better group to do this with. I apologize to Stray.)-
<Peru EBr(E for Example)> The wolf leapt maniacally around Neff(Neff is one of my own characters), biting at the german shepherd's feet, soon leaping on him and sending them tumbling. As Neff bit back, he stood up, placing a paw on the shepherd's chest.
<Neff EBr> What the crap?!
<Vortex EL> Wow. Peru, that was... Bad roleplay.
<Jimmy ESK> Oh my god. Get him out. Get him out, now.
<Chain EA> Peru, that was against the rules of the Spar.
Peru EBr has been removed from Example.
<Neff EBr> Ick. Thank goodness he's gone now.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:55:51 am by Neowulf »

Art gallery
[Find me in-game as Neowulf]

Offline FrostNight

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 6
  • Elon Musk pls return my calls uwu
    • iFrostNight
    • Frost Night
    • View Profile
Re: Neo's Thoughts on Literacy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:32:59 pm »
's true though.

Offline xmapleleafx

• Familiar Grounds Dweller
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Neo's Mumbled & Jumbled Thoughts - Literacy
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:13:20 pm »
Esh, I remember the days when I was semi-literate and every group said no ;-;
Insert a fancy signature here.

Offline StarrieNova

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 52
  • Cuddle Fluff
    • StarrieNova
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 10:31:41 am »
I remember the days I was considered a neon and illiterate. That's when I went silent, and began reading what everyone wanted in a group member.

Siggy by: MittenstheNoble

Offline wolf48877

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
  • I Put The Succ In Succubus
    • View Profile
    • http://tinypic.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 02:27:18 am »
hehe im a good roleplayer, probably a fig 4, but im not a territory claimer, I agree some ppl need to work on there RPing but they have their ways of doin it. still you made a great point and I hope you have a wonderful day!  Best Wishes~ Cloud and Ivy

Offline ~Stargazer~

• Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 78
  • "Helloooo? Trickster."
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:40:21 am »
I remember my "illiterate" days as well. Not that I was into role playing when I first joined the game, but I would often get comments to learn proper English (I have a bad grade in grammar anyway xD). Quickly, I learned that Literate/Proper English = Respect. I dropped text talk and never went back. It explains why I am now the only one out of all of my friends that doesn't use text talk (even when texting)

Preset Download
Will be less active until October 7th.