Author Topic: Terrain Crashing Game  (Read 924 times)

Sandfury

Terrain Crashing Game
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:03:50 am »
So I made about two map terrains so far so I could make a new map. The first one I deleted since I gave up, and the second one I just made.
When I tried to load it, (Typed in the file name) the game crashes.

Here's what I tried.

*Made a Map and put the PNG file into the folder 11 (Map name so I could easily access it, and I had the file in FH>media>terrains)
*Changed the name
*Made the map HUGE before typing in the file
*Blurred the photo
*Put it back into FH>media>terrians
*Made the map huge again

I use Paint.NET for drawing and map making. There's an adjustment to make the picture B/W, too.
The picture is 513x513 (Like it probably should be.)
It is a .PNG file.
I had renamed the file from WIP>Woof (Idk why), so there's no special characters in it.
The first time I didn't have any problems.
(For my first map I made a month or two ago) So, is there anything I am doing wrong this time?

-Sandfury

Offline SnappleApple

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 8
  • An inkling irl
    • SnappleZeApple
    • cherry-gore
    • View Profile
Re: Terrain Crashing Game
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:12:15 am »
Well, it says you made the map huge. You should try making it smaller. If it doesn't work, try saving the Height map and Terrain masks in a different folder, (Preferably desktop) and make a new map with them. Also, make sure the Height map is in grayscale.
~Snapple
Find me In-Game as CandyGore/ Thunderbirds!

Offline Ingredient

• ~Dead men tell no tales~
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 366
    • Ingredient91
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 07:16:33 am »
You need to make a greyscale type image for the heightmap to work, Paint.net doesn't have this option which may be why your map crashes the game. I'd suggest using a program such as GIMP and trying again.

http://www.gimp.org/

Will be inactive due to work and exams.

Sandfury

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:25:16 am »
Well, it says you made the map huge. You should try making it smaller. If it doesn't work, try saving the Height map and Terrain masks in a different folder, (Preferably desktop) and make a new map with them. Also, make sure the Height map is in grayscale.
~Snapple
I left it at the default size, and it still crashed.
Put them in a different spot, and it said "Cannot find Woof.PNG!"
Greyscale didn't matter in my first height-map, as I had used exact colors. (120 R 120 B 120 G)

You need to make a greyscale type image for the heightmap to work, Paint.net doesn't have this option which may be why your map crashes the game. I'd suggest using a program such as GIMP and trying again.

http://www.gimp.org/

As said in the previous reply, I don't really understand how my first map worked, but my new one did not. But I will try and download GIMP.
-Sandfury