Author Topic: Are there any safe artwork sharing websites?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Bluparrot

• Community Champion
  • Floof-O-Meter: 20
    • View Profile
Are there any safe artwork sharing websites?
« on: January 03, 2015, 06:45:30 am »
Hey floofs,

I need an artwork sharing website so I don't have to keep posting my art here. I've considered DeviantArt, but I often come across bad pictures there, and I want a safe artwork sharing website that has a WORKING filter, or ideally, does not allow obscene pictures. If you have any websites that match my description, please post them here.

Thanks,
Blu

Shake it!
Blu Parrot - The Pokemon Fanbird of FeralHeart

Offline greenart6

• The Chicken God
  • Honored Hero
  • Floof-O-Meter: 143
  • Spooky glowy ghost dogs
    • WornSkateboard
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any safe artwork sharing websites?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:22:21 am »
Well, Deviantart has a mature filter you can turn on/off, but sadly not all artists will bother with that. Usually if you just stay safe, keep the maturity filter on, and usually not go near the 'newest' page or 'popular' page, you'd be safe. I honestly don't know any art-sharing websites besides Deviantart, so I'm not too much help lawl

Just keep in mind that everybody's definition of 'art' varies, and I don't believe in 'bad art' myself, even if I don't prefer looking at certain things. So, some art sites will probably allow a lot of things with mature content, and you'll have to respect that.

If you want completely safe art sharing sites, I'd honestly look up art sites for kids, since they will probably be much stricter with their art.  I know that Chickensmoothie has an art program, but you can't upload art that you have previously made with other programs.

Offline WolfQueen

• Onion Queen
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 117
  • feralheart's malignant tumor
    • jengajangle
    • jenqatower
    • jengatower
    • jengatowerr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:34 am »
deviantART is the only art site I know that is for art in general and is user friendly.

Try to avoid surfing the front page (especially the "newest" page) and turn on the mature filter if you don't want to see mature artwork. You may run into the occasional jerk or troll because deviantART has a huge community. Just don't act like you have a thin skin on that site and you won't be bait. I'm warning you for a big reason.

On the other hand, as I said, it's very user friendly. Probably the most user friendly art site out there. That's why it's so popular.

Offline Nemena

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 05:06:26 am »
Unfortunately, there's no sites I could name that are 100% safe; the internet, as a whole, is a terribly unpredictable medium. Things slip through even the best of filters.

I've found Weasyl relatively tame thus far with filters turned on. However, it has a substantial furry population-- so do be careful! Otherwise, the only other site I could recommend is tumblr. There's some incredibly toxic posts and imagery upon that site, but if you don't follow any people, do not click on blogs and stay far, far away from tags, you'll be unlikely to see anything obscene-- or anything at all. It often works well as a place to host your art, though it's definitely more crude than deviantART if you start interacting with others.

Otherwise, deviantART honestly is your best bet! It's not the friendliest community, but they don't allow anything too extreme upon their site.