Author Topic: How do maps work?  (Read 989 times)

Offline Allari101

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 3
    • little-kitteness
    • View Profile
How do maps work?
« on: February 11, 2015, 03:05:39 pm »
So say I made myself a map.

Is it singleplayer or can I 'invite' my friends over to it? Or can people just come in it?

How do you access your map when you log off?

What is the limit of people in your map?

What do you do with glitches in your map?

Thanks to whom answers these, I want to make a map or me and my friend but I'm still needing help issues... thanks. c:

In-game user is Allari101

Offline AmarisMingan

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 7
  • Luck is a shimmer in the darkness.
    • https://steamcommunity.com/profi
    • View Profile
Re: How do maps work?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:50:59 pm »
Hello Allari. I see you have been posting a few questions lately and I'm more than happy to help you out a bit again if I can. c:

I will answer your questions step by step.

You can choose to keep the map for yourself (as you call it singleplayer) or share it with friends via a download link on Mediafire or any other what you prefer. You need to have an account on Mediafire or log in with Facebook in order to do that (if you have FB).

You can only acces the map when you go into it in Map Maker I believe, when loading it in there. All maps that you have created are located in Cape Of Distant Worlds. Which can propably only be accessed in-game when logged on.

The limit of people that can be in a map is 300. You can see it when you fly your cursor to the right just almost near the scrollbar of this website. A pop-up will show the amount of people in the default maps and member created maps.

And the lag or glitches of a map depend on how your game runs or how codes in your map files are. Be sure to check those carefully. Here is a little quote from someone that gives basic general things about creating maps.

Aye, Shanith here to teach the basics, well some of them.

Having your own textures for terrain
Go to google, or what ever search database you would prefer. Search whatever type of ground you would like.
                ex: Search: Grass.jpeg, or whatever file format that works best. Right click, click "Save As" Save it in                   Terrain Folder. Save it to whatever name you prefer. Type that name in the map maker, and tada there you the  go.

Less Lag
1.Change your rendering system to Direct3G9(I think that is it)
2.Restart FH
3.Turn off Water reflection
4.Make "View Distance" the smallest you can
5. Restart FH
6. Enjoy :D

Uploading a map
1.Click "Export" In map maker
2.Go to the FH folder and find the FHO,FHW,OBJECT,and FHM Files of the map. (there may be more depending on how complex you went on the map)
3.Place all those files in a folder
4.Zip the folder up with a Zip/Rar program like WInRar(can get free trial)
5. Go to what ever file sharing server you prefer
6. Find that Zip/Rar file and upload it :D
7.Copy the link
8.Give it to your friend, or group members :D
9.Have fun!

Good luck, hope this helped you a bit. If not, share it with us! If it does, feel free to share that too. xD
Av - AzureHowlShliach

Offline Bawfle

• Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgement that something is more important than fear.
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 344
  • The Zambisi Pride
    • View Profile
Re: How do maps work?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:05:11 pm »
Here is a more detailed guide to help you upload and share your map with other people:

When you export your map you will notice that the map will list files is has exported from the map. For example [MapName].fhm, [Object].fho and so on...

Just make a list of those files and go into Local Disk (C:)\\FeralHeart\\Exports and find the files that were listed. Once you've done that, drag and drop those files onto your Desktop (Make sure you have made a folder on your desktop to place them in!)

Once you have done that, right click the folder and select 'Send to'\\'Compressed Zip Folder'. Then go to a file sharing site (Such as Mediafire) and upload that folder there. Once you have completed that task you can then share the link to anyone you please.

As for your other questions, as said above, the limit of people in one map at a time is 300. Glitches will not happen as long as all files on the receiver side are placed into their Exports folder. If there are issues with any objects in the map (example; some objects missing) then that can be fixed.

Usually the case is that custom objects (objects/meshes/particles that you downloaded into the game) aren't put into their own group, just saved into the default groups in the object maker. In that case, you just need to save the objects into their own group in object maker and export the map again then share those NEW filed in order for people to see it.

You can access your map files in Local Disk (C:)\\FeralHeart\\Exports. Or if you want to access the Height Map and Terrain Map, all you need to do is go to Local Disk (C:)\\FeralHeart\\Media\\Terrains.

Hope this cleared things up for you~ If any further assistance is needed, don't be afraid to ask!

Pixel Doll Commissioned and Coloured by RingoKioko
Inactive // Retired // Gone