Author Topic: Custom map appearing flat in-game?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Firekitty91

• Forum Newcomer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Custom map appearing flat in-game?
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:53:52 pm »
Hey everyone! I was hoping you could help me with a problem I'm having with a map I made. Everything worked perfectly and looks just fine in the mapmaker, the height maps and the terrain and that... but when I enter into the game and go in through the portal, I spawn inside one of the mountains at the edge of the map instead of the given destination and the terrain is flat and objects are up in the air and you can't even see the water. :/ I don't know why it looks just perfectly fine in mapmaker yet in game everything is like that. Not to mention the portal back to the Cape keeps saying "Cannot load map file" or something like that. Can anyone help here? D:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:56:47 pm by Firekitty91 »

Offline shayy

• Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 73
  • World Class Shawty
    • View Profile
Re: Custom map appearing flat in-game?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 04:11:43 pm »
Not too experienced with map problems, but I would say that your grey scale isn't correctly exported due to the fact that your terrain is "flat". And as for your portals not working, I would also say that you did not export it correctly. Here is a tutorial posted by a fellow player:
How to make your own heightmap terrain.Simple,fast,and very cool!

~Hello beautiful people ! ^o^  Today,I am gonna teach you how to make your first map!The steps are very simple,so,just follow my tutorial!If it's appear some problems,message me,and I'll try to fix it!
~~ !! I will make it in GIMP.If you have photoshop,search any tutorials on youtube !! ~~

~~ !! Download gimp from here > http://www.gimp.org/ Click on download;Choose your language [ ex. English] Wait 5 seconds  and you're done  !

Step 1.

Open Gimp :

Step 2.

Go to > New , Width and Height must be like this :

And click OK.

Step 3.

Go to color , and type in:

56 >144 > 144 >144 FOR TERRAIN.
92 >235 > 325 > 235 FOR MOUNTAINS;CLIFFS;VALLEY.
0   > 0    > 0     >0 FOR WATER.

Step 4.

Use the bucket fill tool for fill in it.Use grey color 56 > 144 > 144 > 144.

Step 5.

And then let's paint togheter!Use the colors that I used for the heightmap terrain,Black,Grey and white!IF YOU WANT MORE FUN,GO ON MAKE YOUR OWN GREY COLOR!ATTENTION!USE ONLY THE BRUSH !

Mine is it like this

Step 6.

Go to the layer section  > Which is named like Layers-Brushes,click on the right and then click > Add alpha channel,and then remove alpha channel.

Step 7.

Ok,this is the latest step.Now,go make a new layer,click ok,and add alpha channel.Like this!

Click on the layer and merge visible layers:

DON'T FORGOT!CLICK RIGHT ON THE BACKROUND AND DELETE ALPHA CHANNEL !

Step 8.

Now,go to File > Export  to.You will see an Untitled.png. Name it with your name terrain.Like,mymapterrain.png. Now choose the file type.Look :

Now go to  Window 12 (C:) [I have window 12,in case you have window 7 it will be 7] and choose FeralHeart > media > terrains > WaterMill folder.And then click "Export"! And then click Export again... And you're done!

Step 9.

Now open FeralHeart.exe,go to Tools > Map Maker > Click WaterMill and Load it > Go to World And where is the Terrain Height Map,rename it with your terrain [mymapterrain.png]

And then rename it with mymapterrain.png !
!

And you're done.

Hope I helped you,if it you want small cliffs,valleys,mountains,go to height and change it with 300,400,500.

Have a nice day floofies=^_^= I will come back with a new tutorial soon!
Part 2,Terrain Mask.

Add me on FH:SatanistMacette>Character often used>Macette.
Add me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/strangeone01
pm for free art i need practice

Offline TullileIsHere

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 17
    • plonke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:50:25 pm »
Very nice tutorial, S-H-A-Y. I'm sure other floofs will find it useful. c:

Offline Firekitty91

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:14:42 pm »
I don't know how it could have been incorrectly exported. As far as I can tell, I did everything to the letter, even with reading over the tutorial you quoted. :3

As I said, it looks completely perfect in the mapmaker tool when I load the map. It's in the game where everything goes wrong for some reason. :/

Could it be perhaps the folder placement? The folder is still located in Terrains... do I have to move it, make it a zip folder for it to work or something?

(As for the portal, I figure for that it's best to look up everything on that for now since I didn't completely look into that... I'm more worried on the fact that it's showing up flat in game. I can probably worry about the portal once that gets fixed.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 05:31:05 pm by Firekitty91 »

Offline Enoki

• Herba Chronographus
  • Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 121
  • Who lives in a portabella under a tree?
    • FantasyFungus
    • EnokiTheDryphon
    • Enoki_G
    • View Profile
    • The Realms of Yugure
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:48:30 pm »
I don't know how it could have been incorrectly exported. As far as I can tell, I did everything to the letter, even with reading over the tutorial you quoted. :3

As I said, it looks completely perfect in the mapmaker tool when I load the map. It's in the game where everything goes wrong for some reason. :/

Could it be perhaps the folder placement? The folder is still located in Terrains... do I have to move it, make it a zip folder for it to work or something?

(As for the portal, I figure for that it's best to look up everything on that for now since I didn't completely look into that... I'm more worried on the fact that it's showing up flat in game. I can probably worry about the portal once that gets fixed.)

The only thing I can think of, deary, is, are there spaces in the height map's name? This can cause problems while working with the maps, but I am not sure if it would cause something as odd as this. Hope you can get it fixed floof.

Tmw you planned a ten minute nap but instead took a whole year.
☙Icon by dA JRProducts; Sig by PocketMutt❧

Offline Firekitty91

• Forum Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »
No, there isn't any spaces in the name, Enoki. T_T

I hope I can get it fixed, too... me and my friend were planning to roleplay on this map in our spare time. :(