Author Topic: Unknown Lag Issues With My Map?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Mythrim

• Finest Floof
  • Floof-O-Meter: 69
  • *fingerguns out of the game*
    • Jurgencarmeitder
    • LetzGetTechy
    • @Ellerysia
    • View Profile
Unknown Lag Issues With My Map?
« on: June 13, 2015, 03:11:22 am »
Hiya everyone, 'tis Myth! o/

I've been working on a map for a friend, and it's looking fabulous so far, but I'm having a strange issue. Whenever I'm in "F3" mode (free roam) whether I'm making the map or testing it, it's perfectly fine, but if I'm in "F2" mode (3rd POV) there's a weird lag around a certain area of the map.

It just so happens to be around the lake that I've made. And I don't know if it's a coincidence, but it's doesn't lag if I'm totally submerged in the water.

The moment I try to surface or walk on land, it starts up again.

Some things I have in the area that may cause lag?:
-Rocks with sound
-Trees with sound
-Waterfalls with sound
-Multiple water objects (like the water you place manually)

I don't know if it's for that reason, because I have things like that placed in other areas and they're not laggy at all. This spot even causes the music I've put in the map to skip like a broken record.

I tried exporting it to see if it was just the map maker, and trying it with different characters, but still the same results show. I haven't yet tried offering it to anyone else, but I feel that if it makes me lag that bad then it's not yet ready to share. And my computer has handled things far more dense and object-heavy than what I've made so far.

It's not even lag spikes either, it's a solid drop in my FPS that stays constant in that area. It's fairly large as well, it covers about a 5th of my map.

Here's some pictures:

This is a cascading series of waterfalls that leads into the lake, it's roughly in the center of the area that lags. There's about... 4 water objects there, including the one that goes on into the distance. And as you can see, there are other waterfalls, but they aren't laggy at all.

These 3 pictures are to help create a border in your mind, the grass-covered stones you can see in each one is the cascading waterfall in the first picture. Wherever my character stood, is where the lag began. I would've also gone deeper to take even more angle shots but the entire top-left corner of the map is so laggy, I can't even walk. 2FPS max on the opposite side of the lake.

The area circled in red is the area that lags ridiculously. That little piece of black that comes off from the lake is where the cascading rivers are found. I tried going to the far left corner but I get about 2 frames per second on the shore closest to that corner.

Any advice? ;-;
Known as Mythrim[/i] but no longer in-game! Message me on Discord at  Mythrim#0869

Echoing harmony

Re: Unknown Lag Issues With My Map?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 06:13:06 am »
Hmmmm. Is it maybe the objects with sounds or the server might've been having a bad day. Otherwise, I think the mp3.file is what makes it lag ^^

Offline SoftMoon

• Experienced Traveler
  • Floof-O-Meter: 46
    • https://missdiealot.deviantart.c
    • https://twitter.com/diealotmiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:55:53 am »
High poly meshes will drop the FPS, as well as many medium poly meshes at one place.
Ingame username~ SoftMoon

Offline Mythrim

• Finest Floof
    • Jurgencarmeitder
    • LetzGetTechy
    • @Ellerysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 12:29:05 am »
Hmmmm. Is it maybe the objects with sounds or the server might've been having a bad day. Otherwise, I think the mp3.file is what makes it lag ^^
Well, I have objects with sound placed all over the map, but that's the only place that lags like it does.

High poly meshes will drop the FPS, as well as many medium poly meshes at one place.
I mean yeah, that was my first guess, but I have an area in the map that's far denser with objects. It has slight lag for me, but it only slows me down a couple frames. And the lag in this area is really unique-- it only lags if I'm above water... or if I'm trying to walk. If I stay absolutely still, there's no lag either, only if I'm trying to walk on the ground or swim above water. Like the game is angry at the animation or something.
Known as Mythrim[/i] but no longer in-game! Message me on Discord at  Mythrim#0869

Offline Mythrim

• Finest Floof
    • Jurgencarmeitder
    • LetzGetTechy
    • @Ellerysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 12:53:50 am »
*thinks she may have actually solved the issue*

So as aforementioned, I thought it was bizarre that I didn't lag underwater, just above it, and only if I moved.

I found.... I guess you could call it a "hiccup"?

So I went into object maker and removed the sound from a certain rock I had placed crashing wave noises on. My logic was "it's the only noisy object that I have submerged in water".

I had placed quite a few of the rocks at many places in the lake, so instead of deleting them all, I changed the original object to be soundless, and created a copy with sound. Naming them "BeachRock" and "BeachRock w/ Sound" The BeachRock was the one I had put over a dozen of inside the lake, so when I tested the map again I noticed the lag was gone.

Then just to experiment, I placed the BeachRock w/ Sound at one spot in the lake, making sure it was totally submerged and re-ran the Test again. If I got within a certain perimeter of the rock, the game would "hiccup", like a half-second pause.

Previously, when all of the rocks still had sound, every time I came within their perimeter the game would "hiccup" and I had placed so many that it just seemed as though it were a consistent framerate drop.

So my theory: Objects with sound do NOT like being in water.

It could be a total fluke, but the game runs perfectly smooth now. xD