Author Topic: Won't find material + more  (Read 950 times)

Offline SilverCat

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
Won't find material + more
« on: August 29, 2015, 06:15:34 pm »
I realise there are a lot of other threads with issues connected to one I have, but I just can't figure out how to fix it. No matter the times I read through them.

Whenever I export my newest private map, it says it " Can't find material for ---- " I could mention the names of the mesh groups, but I doubt it matters. This makes both textures and meshes dissapear whenever I get onto a char in the map, whilst in the mapmaker, everything is fine. I can see the textures and the meshes perfectly.

And those who have downloaded that map, see it all perfectly as well.

Another issue is, that one mesh turns out to be gigantic when I'm on a char. I've had that problem before, and usually it went away after a couple of days, but its been almost a whole week now.

There are also a few meshes that I had to re-texture, with textures I knew worked. But once I get onto a character and into the map, they either show the default white texture or the no-texture stripes.

The wierd thing is, in the past, all the meshes worked like they'd normally do.

I do realise that these problems are connected to the groups that they're in, but I have no idea how to fix this. None of them crash my game when I add them to the map, and they all both work and look fine in the map maker.

So please, if you know how to fix this mess, could you help me?
I got a jar of dirt~

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: Won't find material + more
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:40:41 pm »
Have you tried putting them in your Objects folder and making a new group for the objects? As for the giant, oversized mesh, sometimes maps with lots of detail don't load properly, causing minor/major glitches within the game. You could try deleting the mesh and re-installing it, in case something went wonky there. If that doesn't work for you, this quote regarding oddly-shaped objects might be helpful to consider.

I still with no others ideas about how to fix it, some maps just aren't compatible each other since they use the same object groups names with diferences between them.
So i suggest to delete all downloaded meshes and maps that are in your game, or even to delete and reinstall your game.

The problem is not possible to solve if you are not the owner of the maps.
ex: someone mades a map with a tiny mesh called couch.mesh and makes it bigger to fit a normal size, and another map of another person uses a mesh with the same name but its in normal size, the result its a map with normal couches and another with huge/tiny ones.

If anyone else has a suggestion to fix your problem, I hope they'll decide to post here.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.

Offline SilverCat

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 06:49:41 pm »
Changing the folders helped with getting rid of the gigantic mesh glitch, as well as it made the invisible meshes appear again.

I still have a few problems with the textures, but in compare how messed up the map was, its nothing I can't work around. So, thank you so much! I really appriciate your help
I got a jar of dirt~

Offline Warriorstrike

• . "The truth is often what we make of it; you heard what you wanted to hear, believed what you wanted to believe."
  • Ancient Silver Mane
  • Floof-O-Meter: 346
  • . Remember… the Force will be with you. Always.
    • warriorstrike
    • warriorstrike
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:59:33 am »
Is it possible that you're not typing in the name of the material correctly, (remember, the name you give in the game should be the name that you gave the material in the coding, not the name of the file) and is the material file in the right folder?
The game will find any .material file inside of the game that lays within the folders added to resources.cfg as far as I'm concerned. So with other words, if you place your .material file inside of my_objects folder where it should be, and then try to add your material to a mesh from within the game it will work.

Do keep in mind though that in order to add your own material to a mesh the coding for such material within your .material file must be written correctly, but you must also give the correct name for the material in the game which is not the name of the file, rather the name you give the material in the coding.

Something like "IceMat" all depending on what you name that line, I also do believe it's case sensitive so if you write IceMat it cannot be icemat, then the game object maker will not find it.

Look at the line for the texture in the crystal.material that comes with the game:

Code: [Select]
Code:

material crystalMat
{
technique
{
pass
{
cull_hardware none
cull_software none
emissive 1 1 1
texture_unit
{
env_map spherical
texture crystalTex.jpg
}
}
}

So if you were to add the crystal material onto any object, you'd need to give the game "crystalMat" as your material. Hopefully this is correct since I haven't diddled around with it in some time now.

If you define yourself by the power to take life, the desire to dominate, to possess… then you have nothing.