Author Topic: COPPA law  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Diamondsky

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
COPPA law
« on: February 17, 2016, 10:00:33 pm »
Yeah, Hi guys.
I just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention; COPPA law? Yeah, this game technically shouldn't be available to people under 12.
Why?
Because it's essentially collecting information from children of that age, and clearly plenty of people on here do not meet the criteria of COPPA law.
I'm not saying this to be taunting, it's more out of concern.
If someone reports FH for not following COPPA law, game goes crashing down.

If i'm wrong, state that I am, and state proof. I'm not just going to take someone's word for it, i'd like definitive proof FH doesn't quality to be taken down by COPPA. All the IT games follow it accordingly and FH isnt any different.

Offline G4RG0YLE

• Elder Grey Pelt
  • Floof-O-Meter: 170
    • View Profile
Re: COPPA law
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:08:08 pm »
If I'm honest the way I've read this sounds more like a threat. Yet can I just point out, that the Staff can not control who of whatever age, whether it's 12+ or 12- can play the game and be around on the forums. When a user registers, there is a section where you must agree to the Terms and Conditions of FeralHeart and any other forum or game. These Terms & Conditions will most likely if not certainly provide the rules of COPPA Law, but there are some people who completely ignore it and only click Accept so they're capable of registering. However I may be wrong, since FeralHeart might not be like the IT conditions, and because FeralHeart itself is an entirely different game to how Impressive Title works - you can not state that these two are relatable in COPPA Law terms. Also sorry if I sound rude, but this seems like it should have really been sent to the Staff Team alone, not open to other members. :/

© short ' cakes on Discord ♡

Offline Diamondsky

• Curious Wanderer
  • Floof-O-Meter: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 10:35:05 pm »
What? So it's a threat to be curious about something that could be potentially breaking the law?
I'm just intrigued every other server seems to follow and enforce this law except for FH.

Besides, every forum and site follows this regulation. It's a US law, so it's not limited to just Impressive Title games.
And before you hit me with the not every kid is from the US, then keep in mind that it's still enforced for US children.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:36:56 pm by Diamondsky »

Offline Edolicious

• Luck o' the Irish
  • Pack & Pride Representative
  • Floof-O-Meter: 108
  • Luck O' the Irish
    • Edolicious
    • Edolicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:44:05 pm »
T'sC's & Privacy Policy

Reading this might shed a bit of light on the situation. It says a few times over that if you post your information, it's at your own risk.

It's also said multiple places around the site that the game is not recommended for those under 13.

And thank you for your concern, but agreeing with Shurtle, this should've been sent via PM to a staffie.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:57:00 pm by .Edolicious. »
Sig by https://twitter.com/limesquares
Avatar by https://deviantart.com/atachi00
Always do the right thing, even if no one is watching.

Preach

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 01:44:15 am »
Not all games need to have COPPA law. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're implying that FH should have COPPA laws? Hm, I would hate to have that. Besides, I'm pretty sure parents watch over their children theses days. However, with the mature action, ban will be most appropriate for young adults - it will allow them to understand their actions and learn from their punishments.  Also, just put it o it there, staff are on daily patrol and watches us carefully. Unlike wolfquest, they don't do that. There's many reasons why there's COPPA laws...but to be honest, I find the game more for audience who enjoy playing as animals. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

Offline Redlinelies

• The FeralHeart Guru
  • Immortal Legend
  • Floof-O-Meter: 792
  • Modoru Pride
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • redlinelies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 02:48:17 am »
This is quite some old matters if I'm going to be honest since there were a handful of users that made quite a fuzz during the early days of this game and how our terms and conditions didn't meet the required standards and how we were not following the laws etc.

For those of you who were not around at that time or do not know. COPPA is an American law for sites hosted within the U.S. We are not an American site, and we are not hosted within the United States, rather in the EU so the COPPA laws do not apply to us the same way an American site would.

The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA) is a United States federal law.

One countries law doesn't apply for the whole planet. Another thing I also want to put some weight on is also that FeralHeart is not advertised as a Children's game and we still ask for all users to ask for their parents permission if they're below the age of 18. We have general information about the usage of the site and game in our Terms and conditions linked above. Anyone can make an account for this game and site, but when they do so they confirm they have parental consent to do so.

Thanks for understanding, locking this.
Former community manager of FeralHeart